TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
TiVo Rolling Out Skippable Pre-Roll Ads for Retail DVRs | Light Reading

Wow. Was not expecting this. We look hosed. No concessions on pricing, just ads. Skip *might* be OK if the load in/out wasn't so sluggish. Wondering if Bolt is just phase 1 or if Roamio doesn't have enough horsepower.
"This is part of our ongoing commitment to bring our users the best media discovery experience possible."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahaha... hahaha.... hahahaha.... ha... hmm.

As we all know by now, Toyota and Keurig are MEDIA companies ripe for discovery. They're overflowing with media content. Thanks Tivo!

I'll file this "best experience possible" right along side their never-ending "smartbar" recommendations for the Kardashians and childrens' shows. What legends.

Anyway, we should all just call and ask it be deactivated. They seem to be obliging. We shouldn't have to do it, but it's better than routinely "discovering" the "media" of k-cups.

Smile Gesture Happy Sleeve Thumb

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
You gotta love the timing of this, too. Souring goodwill weeks before a new hardware launch.

Tivo's been tone deaf for years. If anybody cares to take a stand, the opportunity is almost immediate. Don't buy Edge. They're already going to have a problem justifying Edge's existence as it is, so give them another problem.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I think many have wondered for years why they haven't done things like license or create their own premium VOD service, put ads on those VODs, and get more apps to share in the subscription revenue. Not to mention the various product ideas that have come and gone, or take way too long to come out that they're irrelevant before they launch (wireless mini adapter).

In other words, more products and services we might actually want that would make us customers more frequently than only once every couple years when we buy a new box.

They've been so focused on their B2B and analytics that they've been absolute crap at monetizing us correctly. Instead of genuinely innovating their way out of their revenue problem, they've made up new ways to whore out our data and eyeballs and make US the product instead... and we get to pay for that privilege too.

Hydra's only going to get worse from here. Pre-rolls, guide ads, pause ads, home screen ads. You're going to feel like you're visiting a virus-ridden song lyrics website.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
It's also slow as molasses compared to TE3. Painful. They way over did the whole tile/picture thing so I often sit there waiting for images to load on several menus. The pre-roll ads, guide ads, pause ads, etc. all make the experience slower and slower. Then there are user-clicks - we need more and more of them to do basic stuff like deleting a show. In TE3, if I see a recorded show in My Shows that I want to delete, I hit the Clear button and its gone. TE4 requires another 2 clicks to do the same thing.
That's the upgrade strategy. Buy an Edge to get through our ads and questionable design choices faster than ever before! :p

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
I am wondering what these advertisers will think if everyone can either opt out of having these shown or can skip them.
I wonder if Tivo told them to pay us money to show your ads but all of are users may never see them.
Seems to me they may start to think they are wasting their money if users will not be forced to see their ads.
There's most likely a guaranteed minimum number of views, with "views" being defined in the contract, and they'll just keep running til it's hit. Usually how something like that works.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
Well, at the risk of continuing to go off-topic, let me explain further. TiVo's consumer business model has not evolved much in the 20+ years we've been selling DVR's. I can go into more detail in another thread, but mechanisms like targeted advertising, content delivery and premium services are all going to be needed in order for us to help bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time.
Glad you're back, and in good/better health.

I would actually like to see that discussion in a new thread. In the void of information, the inmates tend to get restless and punchy around here. Nobody is going to enjoy the ads anymore because of that discussion, but you always offer a great deal of transparency that manages to lower the temperature of the discussion.

I couldn't agree more that Tivo has not evolved well on the consumer side, and my biggest personal sticking point right now is the app platform. I think a number of us are disappointed in the lack of evolution here, so I would love for you to cover this topic as well, if you decide to go ahead with a new thread. I hear a small, new upstart company called Disney is working on one, and I'd rather not have to hit my input button a bunch of times to check it out. ;)

I don't like this pre-roll idea and plan to have them shut off. However, I'm all for ad-supported free content, premium services, and the like. I think a number of us have been wondering why we never got a proper VOD platform and other stuff. I'm more than happy to be a customer more often than once every three years. Shut up and take my money -- but do it the right way. :p

Also, some of us may have heard that reverting to TE3 may not be possible at some point in the near future. Do not flip that switch while you're deploying the pre-roll ads, guide ads, and other ads that might be just around the corner. It would be highly unfair to alter our experience so much while simultaneously trapping us. Give us a shut-off date set in the reasonably timed future. Don't keep this a secret that's sprung on us after the fact.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.