TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
Ah! Got it. I think it's streaming the ad before playing the recording and it's really bad quality video going into a 4K TV. The BSC may be while it's getting the ad from their server.
who's your service provider?

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
On My account page: TiVo.com I have a notation!
PRIVACY STATUS: Beta
I've never seen it explained and admittedly I've never asked!!! I've no idea when it 1st appeared! Does anyone? I would imagine it on ALL OF OUR ACCOUNT PAGE!
it's on my account, too, and i have no idea when it changed, i haven't logged in for months.

Reactions: Noelmel

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
Had to pause and think on that one.
(in my best irish brouge)

"ahh, i was but a wee lad at the time, still i'll never forget the most infamous 79-day marketing debacle in world history."

if there's any silver lining to this mess, it's good to know it ultimately generated positive results for coke:

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
I don't envy Ted right now. I imagine he's been dreading this day, knowing full well the s*** was about to hit the fan. :D
the cynic in me is now wondering if the only reason skip mode was added to premiers was so tivo could eventually enable skipping of pre-roll ads...

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
They've already done the math. Clearly, they've calculated that the potential loss of long-time Tivo-customers via attrition vs. the (perceived) upside of creating an ad-based/data mining business model is well worth that risk.
And we all know how well TiVo has done in its past calculations. ;)
well, they think they've done the math, but it's difficult to accurately calculate the long-term damage to the brand, not to mention the short-term hit.

tivo claims to be working to double it's subscriber base with their new product offerings in just a few months, so i imagine they're getting this out of the way before new products launch, but i don't think the final tally of their new math will add up the way they've calculated.

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
Ugh ads in the guide? That was like my first Comcast DVR ten years ago. No wonder Live Guide is dead, prolly not enough real estate on screen for ads.
well, more accurately, live guide is only dead in te4. ;)

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
i would have been shocked if tivo had allowed the edge to downgrade to te3, it's not like microsoft offers windows 10 pc owners the option to downgrade to windows 7 if they'd like.

Reactions: CloudAtlas

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
Reactions: CloudAtlas

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
As I'm not OTA, there isn't much difference from using the cable providers box at this point.
for me, using the cable providers box would be less expensive, and the guide more accurate.

while i dislike the performance and user interface of the cable provider box, it wouldn't take much to push me to switch, especially when there are advantages to be gained, along with disadvantages to lose.

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
if given a choice between pretty pictures and animation or ease of operation, i'll choose ease of operation, hands down, every time.

that said, some tivo owners must spend a heck of a lot more time looking at their user interface than i do for it to matter this much.

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
... I think that having the delay and an arrow graphic screen before my shows, where I watch most of my television, even that in near-real time, via TiVo recordings, would irritate me to no end (but maybe people get used to it--like mosquito bites? ;) ).
people get used to mosquito bites?!? there's a section of my medicine cabinet dedicated to defense against, and recovery from, those little buggers. :mad:

·
tabasco rules
16,349 Posts
Hulu ads are particularly obnoxious because they often occur at unnatural breaks (like in the middle of a scene), and often it's the same ads repeated over and over again with each break.
that's how they get you to upgrade your plan. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.