TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dammit! I just got home from work, checked out one of my recordings and sure enough got an ad. Actually not even an ad, the spinning blue circle follow by a 'see something say something' psa.

I'm a new customer, signed up a few months ago. Never was a beta tester. Cable only Bolt Vox 1TB lifetime sub.

Adding in, it looks like its not on all my shows. A few of them had no ads, and then there was an ad for a plumber and another had an ad for a home builder. Also, you know you are in a tivo ad and not the program because you can't pause the ad.

I'm really regretting switching to tivo now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you can verify the 'pre-roll ad' I was told this AM that a phone call should be sufficient to have it 'disabled/removed'. It might be interesting to maybe your software version now and if after a phone call what it is then. Of course come back and mention what transpired in the phone call!!
My software version is 21.9.2.v4-USC-11-849.

And I edited my post above to add the tidbit about knowing is a different kind of ad because you can't pause it. As soon as the tivo reached my recording i could pause right away.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got off the phone with technical support. He said there is no way to turn off that feature. If I dont want to see the ad I can press skip.

After I got a bit more heated than I would have liked, he did say they are working on a setting to turn it off. I don't know if he said that because I was being umm a bit stern in my tone.

He also said they are getting a lot of calls about it.

@krkaufman I posted my version above. I don't know how to tell TE3 from 4 but I assume it was 4 because it was new equipment and I didnt downgrade.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In my CHAT I was TOLD that there certainly is/was - I'm not going to post my CHAT (I DO HAVE) but for sure I was told to unbox, connect and activate. If the ads appeared 'CALL AND WE'LL REMOVE THAT FEATURE'
Maybe the guy I talked to didn't know about that? He put me on hold for a while to look into it and came back with the answer. But the answer was definitive (or so it seemed.) I asked about extending my return period so I could send it all back and he said he cant deal with that I'd need to call customer service, he is just technical support.

I'm not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd think it interesting that since you've got it use and maybe mention your thoughts. I've never used TE4/21.* so I can't tell what to expect. Is it in fact a simple 'SKIP' to get to the 'DVR EVENT'! maybe express your displeasure in a CHAT where you'll be asked for the DVR ID etc, you'll be able to save the CHAT and that I'd say documents your displeasure. In a CHAT ENTRY I'd add the DVR ID, 21.* info etc.

How great a nuisance is it?
Like someone said earlier, you have to wait for the spinning circle to load, and then press skip. Maybe adds 5 seconds?

The real irritant is how much I spent to better avoid ads (and rental fees) only to have the company I gave that money to serve ads at me.

If I had known tivo was going to be an ad filled experience I wouldn't have even considered it. (I also have 'sponsored' items on the big list of shows you see when you push the tivo button. There aren't any now or I'd take a picture)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Called Tivo technical support 877-367-8486, they told me that they would disable the ads. But it could take up to 72 hours to be complete. I told them that I pay for Tivo to be able to skip ads and should not have ads before my recordings. They also stated that I could can skip there ads, and I said that is completely unacceptable. Support was very polite and apologetic and told me that they will fix it.
Darn, I wasn't so lucky. Looks like it will depend on who you get.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll protest, I'll email, but I won't start screaming that I'm dumping TiVo for an alternative, when in reality, no better alternative has shown up over 20 years.
As someone who just switched over from fios, the tivo experience isn't better than what fios offers now. Maybe I should try to watch all my recordings and downgrade to TE3 or something. (I've only seen TE4, never used TE3)

Autoskip is VERY VERY nice, but there are bad things about tivo that fios did better. I was ok with that prior to these ads, because tivo was good enough and I'd eventually save money on the box rentals.

But now that tivo is altering my recordings to stick their own commercials in, that tips the scale heavily in favor of fios.

And you mention dumping tivo for an alternative, thats kind of what pisses me off. I signed up just 2 months ago. I'm stuck now with an inferior dvr that I now feel I wouldn't have bought/paid too much for.

So now I'm going to stew, and hope that there is an opt out that becomes available. I kind of expect ebay values to stagnate or go down (who is going to spend $$ for a dvr that inserts ads?) . But in a month or so if the ads are still there I'll have to see how much its going to cost me to switch back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Name one.
If I'm scrolling through the guide and end up on a channel that had a show that ended at an odd time, say 7:02pm. And the current time is 7:15pm. It wont automatically move to the current times program.

So I scroll down, don't notice the sliver of a show that ended at 7:02pm. But thats what the guide ends up on. So when I hit ok to go to that channel it goes to the show that ended at 7:02 and asks if I want to set up a one pass for it (or stream or something). I do this regularly but I don't remember exactly the message for it.

Fios dvr goes to the current time/currently airing programming.

editing to add: I just did this on 692. Its running a couple Schitts Creek in a row that last one ended at 5:31pm. It asks if I want to create a one pass or bookmark the previous episode instead of going to whats airing now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You named one. Such a minor one for a box that otherwise is horrible. I got a TiVo because the fios interface is among the worst in the land. Horrible controls on setting up recordings. Unpopulated guide past a couple of days. Slow and clunky. Extremely inconsistent. Horrible closed captioning. But, yes, it may handle slivers of time better. Woo hoo!

Wait. It didn't do it for me. It picked the Schitts creek that is over two minutes ago. Oops.
Oh I only gave one? Hold on, how many did you ask me to give?

Oh right...

Name one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well, my Pi-Hole has been blocking ads completely for the last two weeks. Today I am getting ads again (starting in the last hour). I went through a bunch of unplayed shows, and getting ads on each one. Damn.

I don't see anything new in the Pi-Hole console. Is anyone else using Pi-Hole seeing ads? Can anyone else using Pi-Hole take a look at your query logs?

EDIT: I was pointing my router to the Pi-Hole, and that was working. I went in and pointed the TiVo to the Pi-Hole in the TiVo DNS settings. The Pi-Hole appears to be back up and running. Odd behavior. I'm still working out why that might have occurred. IN the end, this is a better solution as now I can see each device individually in the Pi-Hole console.
Are you on moca? Where are the DNS settings?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.