TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Are people currently getting pause ads? I got them years ago when they first came out, and then they (blessedly) went away, and then I've seen them maybe 2 times this year, just enough for me to wonder if it was a glitch. (I'm on TE3, if that makes any difference.)
I can't recall seeing a pause ad in quite a long time. Roamio Plus, TE3. Cable.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Well, FWIW, a current TiVo beta tester this week told me that he/she is now seeing ads placed in the program guide grid.

As far as the inserted video ads, my guess is that TiVo developed that platform mainly for larger purposes than what we're currently seeing, with just one pre-recording ad being streamed. I'd say it's mainly for inserting (unskippable) ads into their free video content in the forthcoming TiVo+ app.

Beyond that, maybe TiVo will deploy multiple ads before or during DVR recordings as part of a cheaper (or even free) tier of DVR service.

I definitely think -- based on the feedback in this thread so far -- that TiVo will realize that they're going to have to be careful about the degree to which they deploy ads on their current full-price DVR service because folks will cancel. (Although who knows what percentage of their current retail user base is on lifetime service, in which case TiVo already has their money and there's really nothing they can do.)
Ugh ads in the guide? That was like my first Comcast DVR ten years ago. No wonder Live Guide is dead, prolly not enough real estate on screen for ads.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
With my legacy Comcast DVR that I used to have, there was an ad at the bottom of the guide... how annoying and a waste of space. With TiVo, no ad there, but then we have the Discovery Bar at the top... along with Pause ads, Delete ads, Folder ads, and TiVo Central ads sometimes showing up. I hate those.

How about offering an ad-free version? I mean completely ad-free. An ad would be something that would generate TiVo revenue, even if it's for placing a TV show up in the Discovery Bar. There is a monetary value to this. What if we, TiVo users, were willing to match that value so we don't see ads anymore? Would it matter if the revenue is coming from current sponsors or TiVo users? This would be optional on top of any monthly, annual, or lifetime subscriptions. Anyone have thoughts on this idea?

I'm basing my comment on "ok, TiVo, you want to increase revenue" mentioned.
We don't know yet but this could be a new revenue stream from TiVo owners who have lifetime, i.e. paying 4.99 per month to be ad free moving forward. It would not surprise me at all if they remove lifetime as an option when buying a new TiVo to keep folks locked in at a smaller monthly rate.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
How many of us would be willing to pay an additional monthly fee to switch back to Gracenote? Optional, of course.
They're not gonna give you that option. But it seems they have realized they have ~1 million subs that they have not been monetizing user data well if at all or on a very limited basis and now they want to get in on the action. Maybe its too late or maybe the user base will revolt, the folks on this forum including myself are not happy about it. But maybe the people who are not on TCF don't care that much and if this lowers the point of entry into the TiVo ecosystem, their install base could start creeping forward. Who nose?

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
TiVo confirms ads are coming to all DVR recordings regardless of subscription status

PS: The article quotes Tivo indicating TE3 is not excluded.

If this happens and doesn't get ripped to shreds, I'm gone as a tivo customer. I see lawsuits coming.
TiVo confirms ads are coming to all DVR recordings regardless of subscription status

PS: The article quotes Tivo indicating TE3 is not excluded.

If this happens and doesn't get ripped to shreds, I'm gone as a tivo customer. I see lawsuits coming.
Ugh.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
There is a patern of behavior over the years by Rovi that can reveal Rovi is a corporate predator and raided TiVo and deceived us of their true intent. There is a clear pattern of behavior. There is no real evidence that Rovi was ever a tech company and there is no evidence since Rovi bought TiVo that TiVo is still a tech company since it lacks any technology advance outside that lipstick on the pig thing they pulled with Hydra, which is a cosmetic graphic design.
I've seen you post that before but I'm not sure that is gonna fly as an argument to win a court case. Really not sure what being a tech company or not has to do with it, TiVo could be a bank holding company making DVRs and it would have no effect on how they design their software.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Well, flagrant misrepresenting their position to TiVo customers. I don't know about the bank on how it would effect how they would design their software, but I am assuming it would as soon as the teller takes a screwdriver to it :)
I understand what you're trying to say, just skeptical it has the makings of a good lawsuit. Who knows.

1 - 19 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.