TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Andy, are you signed up as a beta tester for TiVo?

I want to make clear that I am NOT a TiVo beta tester. But... a little birdie who IS one told me this week that they're seeing ads inserted into the Hydra program guide grid on their TiVo.

Before everyone freaks out, we don't yet know what these pre-roll streaming video ads or static UI grid guide ads mean. Maybe it's something that TiVo is developing only for deployment on their pay TV partners' TiVo boxes. And/or maybe it's something that will be offered as an optional way for retail TiVo users to pay less for their monthly/annual TiVo service fees.
Or maybe TiVo went a little crazy in the head.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Perhaps this was an 'intended beta' for their Edge plans - now that it's leaked and further leaked that even TE3 users have been asked to do testing maybe there actually is reason for concern. Maybe an 'opt-out' w/fee or no commercial skip until you agree! I've a new Bolt that's not even out of the wrap so I may look into a return. These leaks could be enough of an argument I'd think to justify![/QUOTE
Return it, send them a message they can read from you and all of us. It's a Bolt and it doesn't have stellar reviews.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm wondering if the next step is to roll out a product with free OTA DVR service (perhaps their upcoming $50 TiVo Android TV Stick in conjunction with a Tablo-style network tuner+hard drive). They'll use their existing AutoSkip technology (supplemented by AI-based ad marking for non-primetime shows) in order to automatically skip over all the original ads embedded in the broadcast recording. But instead, they'll force you to watch, let's say, one or two 30-second targeted streaming ads during each ad break.

Lots of cord-cutters would accept that kind of trade-off for free DVR service. Not sure if such a scheme might violate copyright, fair-use, etc. though. Broadcasters would, of course, be up in arms.
Before it goes to Court where TiVo will lose and most likely lose the tiny string holding up legality of skip. We need to find better solutions outside of TiVo if TiVo is selling us out. I don't care who in this Community has a connection or relationships with TiVo.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If TE3 gets this DVR pre-roll video ads TE3 needs to get auto-skip.
No! We need to get organized. If this **** is true. We need to get smart. We need to protest.

This is how I propose to do it. Those of us who are sitting on old TiVo's in the closet, start sending them to TiVo without a return address or better yet, fake one. But hit it few times with a hammer and rendered it totally unrepairable. Then as Tivo **** spreads and if these ads spread to all TiVo consumers, start, sending our oldest TiVo models to TiVo and render it unrepairable as well. And if TiVo still cannot hear us, start canceling, send them your TiVo and render it unrepairable after stripping it of course and move to the best alternative. Start making use of our TiVos gathering dust in basements and closets. Put them to good use!

Com'on, man let's threaten to do this and do it if TiVo gives us no choice.
Con'on who's in

·
Registered
721 Posts
....and I just moved everything over to Hydra a few weeks back, moving to a new Bolt and Mini Vox purchased just Sunday. Oof.

Here's the thing. If it actually worked unobtrusively, and the tradeoff was autoskipping three 3+minute blocks of commercials in return for a 15 second at the beginning of a show, then maybe. BUT, that's not the device/experience and trade off that anyone made when purchasing existing products.
No maybe, the Court will lean over the bench and say to TiVo, now let me get this straight. You want to take away bought ads that sponsors the show and replace it with your ads so you can keep all the money. Let's do this before I throw your ass out of my Court. You have to pay those sponsors for the skip.

·
Registered
721 Posts
In my CHAT I was TOLD that there certainly is/was - I'm not going to post my CHAT (I DO HAVE) but for sure I was told to unbox, connect and activate. If the ads appeared 'CALL AND WE'LL REMOVE THAT FEATURE'. They told you many calls and after everyone else has 'grabbed' the info and 'editorialized' it I believe they'll need to address it to the multitudes!!

Mine is remaining in the 'wrap' until they've addressed it.
Ok, this another thing we can do. Find a dead horse. Grab its head. Send it to TiVo. We write on yellow Post-it the word, "Capeesh?"

Chat nothing, they'll get the message. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
I too dislike the concept and perhaps reality of the "pre-roll" ads. But I have to say I'm more amused by the bizarre behavior here of so many with all the anger of the world showing up. Cripes, TiVo saves you 20 minutes an hour of viewing time with the ability to skip or even auto-skip commercials. Commercials pay for a good part of your "free" entertainment. TiVo also still allows you to watch TV on your time/terms. I agree, I don't want that 20 second ad, but if it helps support the company that allows me to watch TV on my time/terms I'll bite. I am not about to blow my own gasket over this. I'll protest, I'll email, but I won't start screaming that I'm dumping TiVo for an alternative, when in reality, no better alternative has shown up over 20 years.

Don't you people understand how much TV production costs? Someone has to pay for those show to be produced, and you're the ones watching them. Someone has to pay for hardware and software to be developed to allow TiVo or other DVRs to function, and you're the ones using them.

I'll just sit here and watch the heads of some of you folks explode.
Yea, you go sit back and pull the the sheet over your head. Because it worked so well for your generation

·
Registered
721 Posts
might as well be proactive about it so it doesn't look, well, kinda sneaky and callous.
Well, if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, looks like a duck, it's not a squirrel :) If it looks sneaky and callous, yea, it's sneaky and callous. It says to their loyal base of customers, here's some mud in your eyes to go with our shoveling ads down your dumb throats because your so stupid, you'll swallow anything. This behavior is unacceptable and needs to be sent strong messages that says, not in my home, not on my family's TiVo your not. This is the kind of behavior that is unacceptable and Tivo must be severely financially punished for it. The Courts should kill the company because stupidity, their continued stupidity cannot repeatedly be rewarded.

·
Registered
721 Posts
We're getting complaints about how some of you are reacting to this topic. Some are getting far too emotional & personal to to the point of not being able to have a conversation with others. Don't get your posting privileges revoked over something like this.
Yes, but you are looking at not only the end of TiVo, but also the TiVo Community I'll really miss it when its gone :(

·
Registered
721 Posts
And like someone else pointed out, I'm wondering how long until a network sues Tivo for replacing the network ads.
They're coming, obviously, why wouldn't broadcast networks sue. But wouldn't it be great for Rovi/TiVo if they do??

They want to sell adso_Oo_Oo_O

They could sell us out and blame it on the Court rulings, thinking we are too stupid to realize that this is what they planned all along. Oh, I hope not.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not sure anyone is actually defending such however a possible answer to your question is... ads may keep TiVo in business. It's not like they are fat cats not needing the revenue (to exist).
Please, Charlie, it's what these companies like Rovi do. Eat the animal. Bleed it dry. Then their investors move like the predictors they are to the next victims.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not sure they are coming. The suits that the networks did with Dish were because of the contracts Dish had with them. Tivo has no such contracts as they have no business relationship with them.
But who knows, when lawyers get involved they will argue black is white with not even a nod to how ridiculous it might be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, but Rovi/TiVo skips the big advertisers network ads and replaces them with theirs. Not how the ball rolls for big Advertising companies.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My suggestions:

1. Call Tivo and see if they really will remove the ads for your device, and see if it is done permanently.

2. If you only have one Tivo roll it back to TE3 before that becomes impossible. You will lose your recordings. Hopefully they don't add the "ads" to TE3 as they don't do much with TE3 anymore.

3. If you have 2 or more Tivos and want to keep the one on TE4 in spite of the ads put your other Tivo or Tivos on TE3 and either stream or copy the recordings from the TE4 "ad machine" to the TE3 device/devices.

I'm guessing they are "beta testing" the ads with current users. I'll bet the Edge will be released AFTER the ad thing is fully tested/becomes permanent. I doubt they want to sell an Edge to a new user without ads, then add them a short time after purchase.

I have quite a few Tivos, only one on TE4. Because I was testing TE4 and external drives. I really should roll it back to TE3 while I still can, only issue is I have about 2TB recordings on it. Will have to weigh losing the recordings vs being stuck with TE4 forever AND having to put up with ads, I might have been able to live with the TE4 since I have other Tivos with TE3 but this ad thing is just plain terrible.................................. And no, I will not be buying any new Tivos with TE4 mandatory, ads and phasing out of cable cards, while apps are important to some people for me secondary by far, I want a DVR, digital video RECORDER, not an $800 app machine.
Transfer what you need to external HD through your computer and back to the upgrade TE3.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I don't think any (real) lawyer is going to offer legal advice on a public forum (specifics always matter). But you are always free to talk to your own lawyer and ask that question where your specifics can be evaluated and you can been given advice applicable for you.
A Class Action Suit can always be filed. It's up to the judge where it leads.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.