TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use My Premiere to record shows I can't get on Hulu, Netflix, Prime, or using Playon Desktop recordings. Playon has an adequate commercial skipper for recordings, providing the media PC has a strong processor (mine is an i5-4590T, passmark of about 5400). I was thinking about upgrading to the new Tivo when it comes out, but now will wait for reviews.

Roku is my main access point to streaming. My pfSense router has an add on package called pfBlockerNG. It blocks as many ads as I can find lists for. This is blocking over the entire household. At this time, it seems to block Roku ads well. I occasionally have to whitelist sites so the home computers get access to the right sites and features.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use Pi-hole in a similar way and have not seen ads like these in TiVo or Roku.
PiHole is a great way to end up in the same place without installing and learning a new router.

I tried PiHole just for fun and liked it, but went back to pfSense pfBlockerNG because it was good enough and all in one box. Whitelisting is much easier with PiHole, as is finding a lot of useful lists. A cheap Raspberry Pi will do the job very well - recommended.

I used a Hyper-V virtual machine and Linux as the host. It was too much work and I had a lot of internet connection problems on that PC that took a lot of research to overcome.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.