TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Just got a new Bolt and I thought I was going crazy. When I play a recording the screen goes black with the spinning blue circle for a couple of seconds, then an advertisement plays for about 15 secs, then the recording starts. If you go back and play from the beginning you'll see a different ad. The ones I remember seeing are for Toyota, Keurig and Amazon.

It seems you can skip the ad by pressing fast forward but it's not that seamless.

Anyone else?
You've got a drop in ad similar to what to what Sling, Direct TV Now, and some other streaming services drop into programming. Sounds like your cable co. is experimenting. The blue circle than the crappy SD video means there is delay pulling from a remote server. Are your cable provider and internet provider the same company. The other possibility is Tivo is experimenting and maybe you weren't supposed to get the ad.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Before everybody goes off the deep end. Believe what you see, not what you hear. And then your call. Now when OTA dies down the line and everyone is streaming...Going into the bunker now...:eek:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
You do realize the grid guide has ALWAYS been an option, right? It isn't as though using TE3 means you must use the Live Guide.

Also, the app uses the same guide format regardless of whether your Tivo is set to use Live Guide or grid guide...
Grid was not a good option with older (smaller Tv's) a big flat screen changes everything. TE3 always felt like the old Tivo SD being dragged kicking and streaming.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
The day there is a TE5, I can see it now.. I can't roll back to TE3 :eek: I can't roll back to TE4 :eek: I can't stream 8K :mad::eek::eek:. Google bought Tivo(Rovi) :eek::eek::eek: Wait wipe that last one from you mind, you did not read that..:D

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
That reminds me ... Didn't Google buy SageTV? Whatever happened there?
Supposedly that wanted the tech for the failed Google Fiber TV. And then there is this too.
SageTV to go open source (four years after Google acquired the media center/DVR software) - Liliputing
In the battle with Amazon who knows what Google will acquire. But if they bought both Tivo and Pace...Amazon might sweat a little. And you would have Tivo's with enough memory and power for live streaming apps.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
This was done pre-Roamio days. Some members would post seeing a red LED for no reason. I think the Discovery channel was used. There are no guide updates from 6pm to 2am, so that's a big hole to use.
Oh the "secret data broadcasts" I remember those. And you would see weird black and white screens if you looked at the broadcasts without a Tivo. Fun stuff :D

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Ya know all this "I paid Tivo to be commercial free" . Really? We've had SKIP mode for less than a year. What did you do before that?? You pressed a button to skip commercials. Here's the kicker- those of you rolling back to not see pre rolls are doing up to 12 button pushes during breaks. You are trading skip mode for roughly 40 extra button pushes AN HOUR to skip commercials. I don't get it.
TV is not supposed be work. Turn it on hit the play button and go. Skip mode helped with that. I don't get it either. o_O

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I think the thread's okay, it's the micro-parsing of phrases and words, the unbased pseudo-legal analysis, the insistence on having the last word that grows tedious. Just saying...
What we need is a thread to just dealing with the problem, what to do, who to call vs a complaint thread. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I must be one of the very few who dont think its that big of a deal. I am not about to cancel my service over this, I FF at the beginning of almost every recording so what is an extra 2 seconds of FF?? I dont like the idea but it is so easy to work around I am not going to blow my top over it
Sanity prevails :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Perhaps I shouldn't say this out loud, but I'd actually like to try TiVo+ out, and I might even like some of the offerings (e.g. news and cooking shows). But just don't shove it in my face, TiVo: simply list it as one of my available apps, don't put it in the Guide taking up valuable space.
That's a good, rational suggestion, give us the option to see it in the guide/or not. Don't kill it completely. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.