TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 18 of 28 Posts

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
These ads are TRULY HORRIBLE in my opinion. Absolutely unacceptable, and they have made me seriously start looking at TiVo alternatives that I have always ignored. I have seen a lot of these pre-roll ads, and I am too disgusted for family-friendly words. I have never been interested in replacing my TiVos, but that has totally changed now, and I am certain I will never spend another cent with this company unless they turn this around! They have violated their implied contract with me, and they cannot be trusted.

Here is another BIG problem you will start to see with these ads: You can sometimes skip them before they start by hitting the jump forward button during that nasty BSC (but they seem to be trying to disable that). If you regularly try that, you will frequently see your TiVo lock up and then reboot after about a 30 second wait! The first clue that you have been screwed is a short error message that says "Can't play now. E117"; once you see that, it WILL eventually reboot.

BTW, the pre-roll commercials are absolutely NOT recorded with the show - if you stream a show from another box running TE3 (or copy it to a Series 3), the nasty ads are NOT seen. I have now totally quit watching ANYTHING directly on my one TE4 box for this very reason.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
To my knowledge, these pre-roll ads ONLY affect TE4. Probably one of the best arguments ever to dump that terrible software and roll-back to TE3 while we still can!

But they have already shown their dishonest intentions now, so I do not believe for a second that they will allow us to keep using TE3 much longer. One way or another they seem to be intent on screwing all of us.

Can't you just hear the discussions they have been having with potential advertisers?
Hey, we have given our customers the ability to automatically skip all of your commercials, so unless you start paying us money directly to shove your ads down their throats at the beginning of every show, they will NEVER see your commercials again! Bwahahaha!!!

Oh, and if you get in on the ground floor now, we won't raise your rates when we start forcing them to watch our commercials every 30 minutes, and then every 15 minutes, which we are planning to do as soon as the initial outrage dies down!​

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Called Tivo technical support 877-367-8486, they told me that they would disable the ads. But it could take up to 72 hours to be complete. I told them that I pay for Tivo to be able to skip ads and should not have ads before my recordings. They also stated that I could can skip there ads, and I said that is completely unacceptable. Support was very polite and apologetic and told me that they will fix it.
If it wasn't for TiVo Support's LONG HISTORY of telling lies to customers just to get them off the phone, this joke would almost be totally beyond believing.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
So this explains why the new apps and wireless adapter that were supposed to be released over the summer have been delayed. I guess their product teams have been too busy working on software to plaster customers with ads.
Yeah, they quit working on getting Smart Extend for Live Recordings to work too. That was something that customers REALLY wanted, and it generated lots of positive press earlier this year, but they never got it to work right, and then just decided to drop it so that they could force unwanted commercials on us instead!

What a STUPID and worthless company TiVo has become.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Just called support to return my new Bolt. They told me they have a way to prevent ads from showing on my box forever and it will take 72 hours to implement it. Got a case number.
Seems like some people will believe anything.

But I will be happy to eat my words and apologize for the snarky comment when and IF anyone reports back here that they actually WERE getting these unwanted commercials, and then they went away 72 hours after calling TiVo to complain.

We'll see . . .

Update from 9/24: Well it seems that this time they were actually telling the truth, and I'm chowing down on those snarky words this morning (not too bad with enough salt).

I am very glad that you were successful in getting this horrible garbage turned off for your box, and I am sorry for suggesting you were a tad gullible. And THANK YOU for reporting back and letting us know this really worked!

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Yes, it benefits future customers by preventing the company (and others like it) from doing that in the future. It might, for example, deter Comcast from adding pre-roll ads to their DVR or Tivo from adding ads in the middle of the recording. But you're right when you say that it won't benefit existing customers.
No, it DOES benefit ALL customers, including the current ones, if it causes a company to change its behavior and stop doing either illegal or unethical things. A small cash payout to each customer is meaningless, but when all those small pieces of fortune are aggregated together, it WILL cause a losing company and others watching to change behavior.

I am incensed by what Rovi is doing to existing customers in this case, but I do not know if it qualifies for a lawsuit. HOWEVER, if a knowledgeable attorney thinks it does, and is willing to work the case for a percentage of any future judgement (proves he thinks it is a valid case), then I am Absolutely ALL FOR a class action suit.

The idea presented here by some that "It is OK if Rovi screws me if it keeps TiVo in business" is a completely UNACCEPTABLE approach to life in my option. I certainly will miss TiVo (the OLD TiVo - the one that is already gone), but I doubt that I will miss Rovi one bit. They will just serve as another history lesson about what happens to stupid companies.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
So you can call and opt out?
yes - some people have been successful in getting them removed from TE4 boxes by contacting customer support by calling, email and even chat. But it seems that the company has no intention of sharing this information with the customer base at large. If you know the secret password, you can dump this garbage!

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
TiVo-Ted confirmed this, but he also slyly left the door open a bit by saying it would only work if you met the right criteria (and choose not to tell us what the magic criteria is). I'm guessing you just have to be mad enough.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Getting this crap removed may not be as easy as some have reported - my experience so far is a bit different.

I sent an email in from the TiVo support site telling them I wanted it off of my Bolt. The email did automatically open a support case, so I KNOW they saw it. Today that case is closed with no contact to me in any way, and the nasty garbage pre-roll commercials are STILL on my Bolt!

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
With every prior post saying that the removal can take up to 72 hours, what about your process makes you think your case would be instantaneous?
I said absolutely nothing about when I sent in the email or how long it has been. Why do you jump to such a pointedly insulting conclusion?

Or are you deliberately being disingenuous? You seem to have a pattern of that.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Here is an update: I added an update to my Closed case on Tivo support asking WHY they had closed it without even contacting me in any way, and again saying I wanted this garbage removed from my box. I STILL have not heard from them, nor is there any update from them on the closed case (but to be honest, I wouldn't expect a reply on the same day I updated the case online, especially on the weekend).

However, after a reboot of my Bolt, it does seem that the heinous pre-roll commercials have been removed. I have only tested one or two programs so far, but I do not see the BSC, and that is a good sign. It is good that they removed them, but TiVo's repeated lack of communication with its customers continues to generate bad will.

NEW UPDATE: Here is the Good news - TiVo support actually DID send me an email yesterday morning concerning this case, and it stated specifically that they were requesting the update to stop the advertising, but it would take up to 72 hours (just like the responses others have reported). I have no explanation on why that email did not show up on either my computer or my cell phone until just now (over 30 hours after the header shows it was sent); perhaps their servers are a bit overloaded with responses to unhappy customers? In the past they would often update the case status to "Resolution sent", but they did not do that here (it would have helped a lot). I cannot explain it, but I did want to set the record straight.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
No ads on my 1tb Roamio either,, yet. But just thinking about this while watching Amazon Prime. People realize before every Prime show, Amazon runs an ad mostly about one of their own shows. That has been ongoing. I never seen anyone complain about that on any blog. Is there a difference what TiVo is doing?
The difference seems rather obvious to me:

First, Amazon is their own entity, and they just serve up their "own" content however they want.
Vs. TiVo that is simply a glorified VCR that from the very beginning was intended to do little more than play and record EXACTLY what your house was receiving and showing on your TV WITHOUT CHANGING IT IN ANY WAY. None of us liked the ever increasing commercials in the TV shows, but they had always been there and we were conditioned to accept that we could do nothing about them except watch PBS or maybe pay the bloodsuckers for premium movie channels. Neither TiVo nor our old VCRs did anything at all to make it WORSE.

The extra-cost value in TiVo has ALWAYS been nothing more than easier ways to find, record, and watch existing TV content. They have added more stuff like apps that I neither care about nor have to use in the course of normal TV watching. Their new inserted commercials need to be THERE - in a part of the system I am not forced to use!

Second, Amazon is an extra pay service to watch something different than everybody gets from normal TV service. You don't have to use Amazon (or any other extra-cost service) to watch anything if you object to the way they serve it to you. And refusing to pay for their new and objectionable content does NOT affect your normal TV viewing options.
Vs. TiVo - where refusing to accept their new force-fed inserted commercials would require me to STOP using something I had already paid for! (ignoring for the moment that they are letting some of us opt-out).

How happy would you have been if your old VCR had gotten a software update that suddenly caused it to start recording its OWN UNWANTED COMMERCIALS at the beginning of every show your recorded???

Third, Amazon didn't sell you their new service with the implied contract that they would not MODIFY what you wanted to watch by inserting their own UNWANTED added commercials. Amazon commercials are the equivalent of the irritating previews on a DVD - you know they are going to be there when you buy it - you have the choice to not buy it or accept it. It is not the same thing as if your DVDs never had the previews on them, but after an online update to your DVD player you were now forced to wade through all this new crap just to get to the movie that y ou used to be able to watch WITHOUT it. But that IS EXACTLY what TiVo has done to existing customers.

Fourth, Amazon did not sucker you into giving them THOUSANDS of dollars to lock in their service BEFORE they started shoving their commercials at you.

The fact that TiVo has given some of us a way to beg them to remove this garbage only makes what they have done marginally acceptable. I should NOT have had to beg/demand that they stop doing this with the equipment that I ALREADY paid for, but the fact that I did get this crap removed is the only reason I am still using my TiVo.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Not to stoke the fire but when I go to play a recording it checks for a pre-roll ad and displays this. I assume its talking about the pre-roll ad but selecting OK takes me back to Now Playing. Sometimes you have to retry multiple times to get the recording to play.
View attachment 43855
You are very lucky if your box is not re-booting after you get that V117 message. When I was getting it, it caused a semi-lockup situation that resulted in a reboot 100% of the time! For me, that error seemed to be a timing issue that happened when I repeatedly tried to hit the skip button during the BSC to prevent the nasty commercial from ever starting.
Has anyone noticed even with the pre-roll ads disabled, there is now a multi-second delay where you see the background screen, that did not previously exist?
No. There was a very significant and irritating delay with the BSC before the hated commercials, but after I had them disabled, my programs seem to launch as quickly as they ever have.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
Wait! Is this really a thing? I haven't seen it yet on my Roamio on T4 but it's about to die (keep getting crazy flashing front lights) and I need to decide if I'm going to get a new TiVo or just say F it and walk away after 20 years.
Yes, it is really a thing. It is HORRIBLE to many of us, and it has been discussed and complained about ad nauseam in many threads. But you do have the ability to call TiVo and get them stopped after you begin seeing them.

But more importantly, in regards to your Roamio problem, you absolutely do NOT need to buy a new TiVo if you want to keep using it. Totally simple for you to buy a new drive for about $60 and just swap it for the existing one - plug and play, nothing else to do except plug it in (assuming you do not want to try and save your recordings).

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
You think the flashing lights are just the drive? I was reading it could be way worse. Ugh on the ads, I haven't seen them yet but I'll be on the lookout. WTF is TiVo thinking???
Yes, 98% chance it is nothing other than the drive. 2% chance that it is your power cord/brick, and that is even easier to replace than the drive (assuming your model Roamio uses an external power supply).

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
The good thing with a Roamio (different than a Bolt), is that you can pull the existing drive, try a different one, and then later put the original drive back in without losing the recordings on the first drive.

If your drive is failing, then you MAY still be able to use MFStools to copy it to a new drive and save all the recordings, but no way of knowing if that will work without trying it.

·
OTA ONLY and Loving It!
1,738 Posts
With people like "you" it's just a matter of time before TiVo comes crumbling down. How is TiVo staying afloat any way?
Well, I do not know who specifically you were trying to insult, but I will gladly accept your label.

Rovi does not "deserve" to stay afloat, in my opinion. As an individual, my one buying decision will not make much difference, but the marketplace will eventually make that decision (either way). Rovi is incompetent, and they have repeatedly shown a disgusting disregard for any customer-centric approach to business. There certainly is no shortage of examples of companies that have taken that approach and gone out of business because intelligent people decided they did not deserve to get money thrown at them just because they once had a good product.

Do I want TiVo to go away? No, and I will miss them. But if the decision was mine alone, I would absolutely prefer that they went out of business tomorrow than be allowed to continue on their current path. The only thing they deserve at this time is to have the market reject them. If they learn in time and can change, then my opinion will change too.

As long as the sheep continue to throw money at them and stay quiet, you can be TOTALLY assured that they will continue to feel justified that every decision they have made is wonderful, so NOTHING will change for the better. When one stupid company goes out of business, there is always somebody else with a better idea and more intelligence to step in and fill the vacuum.

1 - 18 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.