TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Font Circle Number Pattern Rectangle

I would say to downgrade to TE3 while you still can as I have heard that downgrading might soon be disabled (perhaps when Edge is released?).
Because of the software differences between TE3 and TE4 it may be that Tivo is unable to insert ads on TE3.
I downgraded yesterday but at first the downgrade sequence would not work.
I started to think downgrading was disabled so I restarted the Tivo then was able to downgrade.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Exactly! I bet they're going to introduce a new tiered subscription similar to Hulu; a cheaper option with ads, and a more expensive option without ads. Either way, if they force me to upgrade to TE4 or stop allowing downgrades, I'm out.
Willl be rolled out to all even lifetime subs but hopefully only on TE4.

TiVo has confirmed that it plans to place pre-roll video advertisements before DVR recordings for all customers - even those with a lifetime subscription plan.

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you would read this a little closer, the ad is for lower tier paying customers. So they can offer say a 8.99 a month plan. They would see the commercial. Higher paying and lifetime will not.
I read that everyone will have it on TE4.

TiVo has confirmed that it plans to place pre-roll video advertisements before DVR recordings for all customers - even those with a lifetime subscription plan.
TiVo confirms its customers will soon see ads before DVR recordings

·
Registered
574 Posts
There haven't been any reports (at least that I've seen) that the ads are appearing on Roamios running TE4, which, when combined with the CEDIA comment that BOLTs may lose the ability to rollback to TE3, makes me wonder if the ads will be limited to BOLT, EDGE and Mini VOX boxes.
Tivo did say it would go to all eligible devices and that eligible devices were those running TE4.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I am wondering what these advertisers will think if everyone can either opt out of having these shown or can skip them.
I wonder if Tivo told them to pay us money to show your ads but all of are users may never see them.
Seems to me they may start to think they are wasting their money if users will not be forced to see their ads.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think the only reason that TiVo requires their customers to press a button to skip over ads in SkipMode, rather than have the DVR automatically do it, is to avoid making their business relationships with their pay TV partners more difficult than necessary.
Are you talking about the pre roll or regular ads presented during a recording?

Pre roll you have to push a button to skip the ads.

If you set skipmode to automatic you just start the recording and all ads during the recording are automatically skipped.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
PS: The article quotes Tivo indicating TE3 is not excluded.
Perthaps you missed this post.

Sorry, "Maintenance mode" = "Bug fixes only".

Pre-roll ads are a "feature".
Now since the pre roll ads are a feature and TE3 is now in maintenance mode with no further features only bug fixes it seems to me it is safe to say pre roll is not coming to TE3.

·
Registered
574 Posts
One of the issues I am concerned about is people who are on data caps.
How much data is it taking to load these ads?
If you go over the cap you have to pay penalties or extra money per so many gigabytes you go over.
Comcast has unlimited data for an extra 50 dollars a month but why should people have to pay another 50 a month just to use a Tivo.

·
Registered
574 Posts
So it sounds like they may have downgraded you to a prior version of the software that does not support ads. My question is what is going to happen when they release the next software update to everyone. Is that going to start the cycle with the ads all over again?
21.9.2.v4 is the latest TE4 software that I know of.

1 - 19 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.