TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 19 of 59 Posts

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Ah! Got it. I think it's streaming the ad before playing the recording and it's really bad quality video going into a 4K TV. The BSC may be while it's getting the ad from their server.
My signature has a link to those abbreviations. I do wonder: whose servers? The thumbnail pictures are from (I think) Akamai.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
The 1 thing that L3TV/T-Vision was at least very good with was 'CUSTOMER RELATIONS'! You could open a case, review it, add files/snapshots. It was an actual communications event!!
If in fact the 'AD INSERTION' can be turned of maybe I'd do something different. If my Boly in the wrapper can still be rolled back to TE3 with ads removed an 'LOCKED' in TE3 then I'm maybe good.
Perhaps I don't understand your post, but if you have a case number, like you would for a lineup problem, you can add additional information. From TiVo.com, after you login, select My Support. Find your case and click on the blue part. It should show you a page where you can add data. Now, I don't know if they read it, but you can supply additional data. It sucks that the links are not underlined, so they look like normal text. The addition should generate another email.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
If you look at the video, and the blue spinning circle at the start of the pre-roll ad, and then combine that with reports that skipping past the ad is sluggish (not like regular SkipMode ad skipping), all that indicates to me that TiVo is live-streaming the pre-roll ad.
I think that BSC is a good indication that the pre-roll is from a different server. I'm still at a loss how they made this work without a software update. I'm afraid it means there is no internal TiVo time-out should that server go down. That would be serious.

@tarheelblue32, we posted at the same time. I hope that the ad is triggered by the TiVo starting a playback of a recording. If not, I'm even more worried now.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Sorry, "Maintenance mode" = "Bug fixes only".
Pre-roll ads are a "feature".
TE3 still can not access another TE3 box if the other box is in Standby. A TE3 Mini can not access its host if that host is in Standby. I know, don't use Standby. But that bug has been around a long time.

BTW, the software release notes have fallen behind except the date, which changes for some unknown reason.

Tivo Customer Support Community

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
All my TIVOS still using TE3. Tried Hydra, hated it and reverted back. I am happy with it and now that Ted confirms no ads to TE3 nothing for me to worry about.
I do wonder how this will work out if mass numbers of subscribers revert back to TE3 from Hydra to avoid ads. They may find a much lower number of subscribers seeing these ads they are inserting. I hope this doesn't force Hydra on everyone at some point. Just leave my TE3 alone and I am happy until the box dies down the road.
We are not the "mass numbers". We are just a few dozen enthusiastic users with too much knowledge that we enjoy sharing. It's the TiVo's used by MSOs that never heard of TE4 that are the "masses". My company has a TE4 ad twice an hour now, and it runs on its message channel continuously. They only charge an extra $50 to install it. They use eero and don't list that imaginary Mini "wireless adapter" on their web site. It's a funny world. But I'm not laughing right now.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I use TE3 exclusively. I have a 2-tuner Premiere and a 4-tuner Bolt that are currently in standby. I can access both of them from my Roamio, my 6-tuner Bolt and a Mini. Although it shouldn't matter, all my devices share a MoCA network.
Perhaps it's just an Ethernet issue.

From Ted: 20.7.4.rc42

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
Maybe. I'm not using max power saving, I just manually put the boxes into standby. Maybe worth an experiment?
Edit: have you tried it recently? Maybe they've fixed it...
If they think its fixed it was done without a software change. That said. I powered up a TE3 Roamio and placed it into Standby. After an hour I could access My Shows on my TE4 Roamio (it is in Standby) but received the BSC and NPL when trying to access the TE3 Roamio. I also tested my 500GB Premiere and did not have a problem.

One reason I have a TE4 Roamio is that its 3TB drive is used for storage, mostly movies. I have run into the bug of playing for 10 minutes then locking, but that seems to only happen when SM is applied to a program. Luckily that's a small percentage. Now I only move non-SM movies or programs to that drive.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
I believe it is technically possible for TiVo to implement pre-roll ads by downloading them in advance, perhaps in some sort of rotating fashion, all in the background.
This was done pre-Roamio days. Some members would post seeing a red LED for no reason. I think the Discovery channel was used. There are no guide updates from 6pm to 2am, so that's a big hole to use.

·
in the other Alabama
20,955 Posts
My cable feed inserts (I call it clobbers) the national feed of commercials with their own. Most popular is for "TiVo Experience". It only does this on basic cable, not rebroadcast channels.

1 - 19 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.