TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Just got a new Bolt and I thought I was going crazy. When I play a recording the screen goes black with the spinning blue circle for a couple of seconds, then an advertisement plays for about 15 secs, then the recording starts. If you go back and play from the beginning you'll see a different ad. The ones I remember seeing are for Toyota, Keurig and Amazon.

It seems you can skip the ad by pressing fast forward but it's not that seamless.

Anyone else?
Was this for every single recording you played back or just a few random ones? Very annoying either way. (I guess another reason not to use TE4).

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I wonder why they secretly rolled this out instead of sending out an email to subscribers letting them know this is coming?
Quite frankly given the level of incompetence in recent years I wouldn't be surprised if this was unintentionally released before they were ready.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
So has anyone been able to get these ads disabled for their device?

When I first saw them tonight I thought my Tivo was being weird/slow. I was trying to play a recording and it went to a black screen with a spinning circle for a bit and then I lost all video input apart from some chopped up sound. It wouldn't really respond to any input, or it would respond VERY slowly, and it took a good minute to sort of get back to live TV. I rebooted it later on after it did this again on a different recording, and then after the reboot I noticed it was serving the ad. Well, trying to serve the ad. It took a while to load it and then it was all choppy. I tried another recording and it played ok, but it was the same stupid ad each time for "see something say something" or whatever. Also, trying to skip the ad with any sort of button presses is pointless since the Tivo is so laggy and unresponsive while it's serving the ad that it'll take you longer to try to skip it and recover than to just watch it. I'm also curious what happens if your internet is down and you try to watch a recording. Does it just sit there and spin trying to reach the server?

This is truly awful. As has been said in this thread already, this feature has no business being rolled out to people with lifetime boxes, at the very least.
Wow, sounds worse than I could have imagined. I'm very curious if you can use the TiVo app to start playing a recording on the TiVo (instead of the using the TiVo itself) and see if that triggers the pre-roll ad as well? i.e. Go to the virtual remote of the App and find a show and start play from there. Also if you happen to be a kmttg user, attempt to start playback from kmttg My Shows table to see what happens.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
With the risk of being shamed - how do you know if you have TE3? I currently have three Premier XL units, all with Lifetime service. So far, I've seen no preroll ads.
Premiere are series 4 units. TE4 only runs on series 5 (Roamio) or later, so you're safe (for now) until/if TiVo decides to update TE3 to include this "feature" as well.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
So it sounds like they may have downgraded you to a prior version of the software that does not support ads. My question is what is going to happen when they release the next software update to everyone. Is that going to start the cycle with the ads all over again?
No, it's a server side setting associated with each TiVo in your account, not tied to specific software version. TiVo has a bunch of such settings completely under their control now, including for example ability to toggle on/off commercial skip capability. That's why it requires you to call in and provide your TiVo TSN # to get it changed. If they really wanted to they could add a toggle once you login to their web page, but obviously for this particular setting they don't want to make it that easy to disable.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Going with your made up numbers we have 10% of ~300,000 customer is 30,000 retail customers forgoing a new purchase they may never have made anyway. That is small compared to the 7+ million OEM cable company subscribers who pay monthly and will watch the pre-rolls happy that auto-Skip removed the other 16 minutes of ads.

Honestly the only reason TiVO didn't start serving up ads sooner is because of the Patent $$$ coming in. That's gone and something needs to replace that recurring revenue stream. Feel free to suggest one.
I haven't seen any indication from TiVo these pre-roll ads will go to MSO units. In fact I'd be very surprised if that is the plan, and obviously they would need MSO permission for that as it is disruptive to MSO customers. My impression from Ted's posts is that this is to help subsidize retail units only.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
I believe the user is referencing the brief audio and video drop-outs for the Video Window experienced on TE3 when toggling between full screen and the Video Window view within the menu ... which has been fixed on TE4.
Which only would matter if one actually uses a video window. Personally I avoid that "spoiler" video window completely so this is a non factor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.