TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use My Premiere to record shows I can't get on Hulu, Netflix, Prime, or using Playon Desktop recordings. Playon has an adequate commercial skipper for recordings, providing the media PC has a strong processor (mine is an i5-4590T, passmark of about 5400). I was thinking about upgrading to the new Tivo when it comes out, but now will wait for reviews.

Roku is my main access point to streaming. My pfSense router has an add on package called pfBlockerNG. It blocks as many ads as I can find lists for. This is blocking over the entire household. At this time, it seems to block Roku ads well. I occasionally have to whitelist sites so the home computers get access to the right sites and features.
I use Pi-hole in a similar way and have not seen ads like these in TiVo or Roku.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's interesting... I presume you are on the 846 release? I'm trying the process once again...

• No ads - restarted TiVo
  • Ads - after restart
  • Blacklisted mm1.tivoservice.com and restarted
  • No ads - after restart

Now I can delete the blacklist and the ads won't appear (although mm1... gets hit) until you reboot. Note once the ads are "loaded" they won't go away until you blacklist and restart.

Per the images... first one shows mm1 getting hit and ads follow. Second shows mm1 blocked and no ads. Third is the guide after restarting with mm1 getting hit (ads). Fourth is the guide after restarting with mm1 blocked (no ads).
I've treid this before on my Pi-hole but it did not block the TiVo+ ads. I'll have to try again. Also, are you using your Pi-hole for DHCP as well?

·
Registered
131 Posts
No, although it shouldn't make any difference. I have done the above a dozen times or so and each time it has worked. Only once after removing mm1 from the blacklist (after restarting) did the ads came back after a day or so). All of others have been several days and between restarts (to test again...) no guide ads in site. Once restarted I remove the blacklist so TiVo doesn't endlessly (every 10 seconds) try to connect to mm1.
Thanks, I'll try again tonight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.