TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Have not gotten those ads, and they would be totally unacceptable. I don't even appreciate the significantly shorter ones on free YouTube (and they impact my viewership). I wouldn't accept this on a subscription TiVo box, not do I think that I would accept it in a subscription-free TiVo box. It would be time to explore the Amazon Recast.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Before everyone freaks out, we don't yet know what these pre-roll streaming video ads or static UI grid guide ads mean. Maybe it's something that TiVo is developing only for deployment on their pay TV partners' TiVo boxes. And/or maybe it's something that will be offered as an optional way for retail TiVo users to pay less for their monthly/annual TiVo service fees.
And wouldn't that be nice. But then, before TiVo releases such experimentation--something which kinda shakes a foundation of TiVo's boxes--into the wild and forces it on existing customers, perhaps it should tell the customer base what is happening. Even Microsoft, in its arrogance, does so (kind of). I'm happy to beta (and have done so, many times)--but tell me that I'm doing so, first.

Not at all unexpectedly, the manner of this rollout or beta or whatever it is only causes more angst. Heck, even the customer service reps. don't seem to have the story down, apart from knowing that the adverts are occurring and maybe can be turned off oh wait, maybe cannot be turned off.
I just got off the phone with technical support. He said there is no way to turn off that feature. If I dont want to see the ad I can press skip.
After I got a bit more heated than I would have liked, he did say they are working on a setting to turn it off. I don't know if he said that because I was being umm a bit stern in my tone.
He also said they are getting a lot of calls about it.
Maybe after each time an advert is run, each customer should telephone customer service, mention that it just occurred, and object to it. After each advert. ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Actually my biggest "complaint" is that TiVo didn't come out and state what they were doing beforehand. They must have known what stink it would cause and even if in the best case it's simply a "test" they should have stepped up by now and addressed the issue.

The more you're going to do something one dislikes the sooner you better explain it. :) At least they feel respected (to some degree). In reality I would be more likely to switch because of the way it's being handled (up to now) than the actual ads - which I'm presuming I will be able to block.
Perhaps @TiVo_Ted will have some input.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Someone has to pay for hardware and software to be developed to allow TiVo or other DVRs to function, and you're the ones using them.
Isn't that what the TiVo subscription fee is for, in part (and totally ignoring the charge for the hardware)?

Yes, I know that TiVo needs further revenue. But why not do something, I don't know, positive. Unilaterally shoving an ad in my face, every time I want to watch a recorded show, seems a bridge too far. (Now, if this "feature" really can be turned off, that helps--but, of course, the TiVo mothership hasn't said anything about this, we only have what some TiVo customer service reps. have said. Time will tell.)
There will be some folks who sell their TiVo over this but I really do think that the TiVo users who post on this forum are probably more pissed off about the pre-roll video ad than is the average TiVo user. Not that I'm defending what TiVo is doing here. Especially for DVRs with paid lifetime service, they should never implement this program in the first place, even if it can be removed after making a phone call.
Very likely the case. But the "feature" also tarnishes the brand and product. "Hey, Bob, you gonna buy a TiVO?" "Isn't that the one that forces you to watch ads to watch your shows? Nah." That's how sales and market share erode.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
While it'd be nice to hear more from official TiVo sources beyond that tone-deaf response Zatz posted, I don't blame him [TiVo_Ted] for not jumping in to this particular pit of vipers.
While I differ with your characterization of what's going on here, sadly, that's what can happen when a company doesn't communicate with and inform its customers about fundamental matters and unilaterally-imposed changes.

Thus far, as far as I can tell, the new "feature" has been left for customers to discover at random, totally surprisingly; for 3rd-party reporters and commentators to report on, including based on an unidentified TiVo spokesperson; and for TiVo customer service reps. (not known for their reliability) to give info. on, some of which has been contradictory. As far as I am aware, TiVo has not yet said anything officially. (And yet, my TiVo box seems fully capable of informing me every time a TV station that I don't receive changes.)

Customer and public relations can be a good thing.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I have no inside info, but given the path they've chosen, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hydra become a mandatory upgrade for compatible devices.
Sadly, yep.
If the ad presentation and skip were more seamless, it wouldn't be as big a deal for me. But, as currently implemented, it looks real kludgey. We'll see.
To say that it seems to be an unattractive--in many ways--speedbump is to put it lightly. Even if it's skippable and it's just a matter of a few seconds, it's still a speedbump. And speedbumps impact the experience.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
While I hate this decision as much as anybody here, in the scheme of things this is equivalent to a commercial playing at the start of a recorded show and you have to hit skip. Now it looks like, you will be forced to hit skip twice. Again, I understand the anger, but is this really that much of a negative?
But the new ad is skippable too.
Yep, but the pre-roll ad is still a speedbump to my entertainment experience. (Remember "The TiVo Experience," lol?) Equally, from what I've seen and read, it's not a particularly pleasant/well-executed speedbump.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Unlikely there'd be a class action as nearly all of us agreed to arbitration. And "us" isn't a very big number. Hoping they rethink this all.

Opt Out Of TiVo Arbitration
I always find mandatory arbitration provisions intriguing. Be careful what you wish for: is it substantially better to have an avalanche of individual arbitrations filed? ;) (And I don't recall if it's the case here, but in some mandatory arbitration clauses, the corporation imposing the clause states that it will cover the costs and attorneys' fees in the arbitration, at least in some circumstances.)
I paid roughly $1100 for a bolt and two minis with lifetime. Now a software update has added a feature that may have altered my decision if it was there when I purchased it. I'm sure there are thousands of people like me. For the lawyers in the forum, what legal recourse is there??
I wonder if there's any. I haven't read the Terms of Service for a long time, but isn't there a term that says, we (TiVo) can change anything we want at any time for any reason? (But it probably stops short of claiming a right to customers' first-born daughters, lol.)*

* edit, from the TiVo User Agreement: "Features and functionality are subject to change. We reserve the right to determine the timing and content of software updates, which may be automatically downloaded and installed by TiVo products without prior notice to you."

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I agree. But then I think our entertainment experience is going to be changing regardless.
Reading through comments here, I've had flashes of images from, what was it, "Minority Report" or "Bladerunner," in which the protagonist is going down the futuristic street, being accosted by ad-after-ad along the way.
Yeah, I agree. I just think this shows, frankly, TiVo's desperation. I think that they know the path they're on isn't sustainable, especially on the retail side. The number of retail TiVo users slipped below 1 million several years ago. And I think TiVo knows it's inevitable that Comcast, and eventually other cable TV providers, will migrate most or all of their cable channels over from QAM to IPTV in the next few years. At that point, TCF will become somewhat of a ghost town, don't you think?
IMO, TiVo has no great options to pursue. Their original business model -- being a provider of premium DVR hardware and service to be used in conjunction with cable TV -- is pretty much exhausted. They know that they have to embrace streaming somehow, and incorporate ad revenue into their mix in order to bring down prices and bring in new types of users who don't care anything at all about DVRs.
In retrospect, I think we'll look back on fall 2019 as the turning point when TiVo began pivoting away from the traditional DVR to ad-supported streaming.
It's easy to be a Tuesday morning quarterback, and while I really do appreciate TiVo trying to think of something to assure survival (as misguided as I find the current attempt*), I just can't help but think that there are better ways, including as others have expressed here.

At the very least, I fear that what currently seems like a half-baked idea* is going to sully TiVo and that this isn't the way to stop the slippage of retail sales. "Hey, Bob, you gonna buy a TiVo?" "Yeah, I wanna watch those TV commercials that it pushes on you." ;)

* Of course, maybe there's a real, fully-baked idea there, perhaps even incorporating some of the ideas mentioned above and that many people, even here, might find as acceptable--but TiVo just isn't really saying (apart from some information, some of which has been contradictory, from some customer service reps.), anything.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I think we'll get much more of TiVo's overall game plan (and see just how baked it is) in October when TiVo+ is officially announced (along with the Edge likely at the same time). I'm wondering if TiVo is pushing this out now (even though their Android TV streaming stick apparently won't be ready until early 2020) in order to get out in front of some bad news that Comcast might deliver this fall with regard to TiVo. Perhaps TiVo wants to show the media and Wall Street that they do have a post-CableCARD DVR future lined up and they're already executing on it.
Well, for heaven's sake, get it out in baked fashion on introduction (low resolution ads? glitchiness and blue spinning circles? is this really what TiVo wants Pres. Trump to be watching?), and actually inform the customers that this is happening and what it is, and its parameters. Don't simply have the tech. dribble out on unsuspecting customers without explanation and leave it hanging in that fashion, with customers to be guessing and information coming from 3rd-party websites and commentators.

If, in fact, the pre-rolls can be turned off through a switch or by calling TiVo, how great--think of how much angst and bad press, and tarnishing of TiVo's image, could be avoided by telling people up-front. Were the Marketing and PR departments kept out of the loop on this one?

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
If they go this route they should also disable all the ads like the pause ads or other static screen stuff.
Are people currently getting pause ads? I got them years ago when they first came out, and then they (blessedly) went away, and then I've seen them maybe 2 times this year, just enough for me to wonder if it was a glitch. (I'm on TE3, if that makes any difference.)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
Just to be clear here--I'm not giving TiVo a pass about this AT ALL. I'm furious about it, to be perfectly honest. I'm just not aiming my pitchfork at Ted in particular. It's still a big company and I don't know gis level of involvement or that he'd be able to say anything to us about it.
I understand. He and his info./announcements/explanations have been missed here. Assuming that he is allowed to speak out loud, I am sure that @TiVo_Ted would be welcome here and that his explanation(s) would be beneficial.

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
(in my best irish brouge)

"ahh, i was but a wee lad at the time, still i'll never forget the most infamous 79-day marketing debacle in world history."

if there's any silver lining to this mess, it's good to know it ultimately generated positive results for coke:

Of course, a moral there can be drawn from the fact that "Classic" Coke still is around; not so for "New Coke." ;)

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
I am now getting pre-roll advertisements every time I start a DVR recorded show on my lifetime Bolt+. This caught me by surprise. Initially I thought this was part of the DVR recorded show. I tried fast forwarding and the screen went black for about a second then the DVR recording started. After I saw the same advertisement twice for a second recorded show I broke the code and came to this thread to find out what's happening.

I wonder how many thousands of TiVo owners who don't regularly monitor this forum wondered what the heck is going on. I wonder how many don't understand they can fast forward out of the commercial. Not a word from TiVo to me that they'd be changing the functionality of their Bolt. My family finds this irritating and it adds additional steps to get to every recording. I want to opt out of this ill conceived and executed change. I won't buy a TV which makes me watch an advertisement every time it starts and I don't want my DVR forcing this on me.

Calling TiVo customer support when they open today to complain and try to opt out as others suggest.
If possible, could you let us know TiVo's response and, if the ads get turned off, how long it takes? Thanks--

·
Registered
27,636 Posts
They've already done the math. Clearly, they've calculated that the potential loss of long-time Tivo-customers via attrition vs. the (perceived) upside of creating an ad-based/data mining business model is well worth that risk.
And we all know how well TiVo has done in its past calculations. ;)

edit: I should add (and so not to be seen as too snarky), I'm not opposed to TiVo experimenting with revenue-generation methods, even something like here--it's just, to do so smartly and to not alienate the customer base as to why we use a TiVo box.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.