TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
My take... since virtually the rest of the world is doing such I can't logically get upset. And in reality I'm saving more time with AutoSkip - as in if I had to pick both or neither I'd pick both. Although I don't think it will be implemented in all devices. As an example with Amazon's Kindle you can purchase the same tablet with ads (you pay less) or without ads.

If they were to show up illogically I might run out (next decent sale) and purchase a Recast to see how happy I could be with it. Logically even the reduced image quality would be enough to prevent me from switching... but often logical doesn't win out.

PS: I run pi-hole on an ODROID XU4 (Raspberry Pi Killer) along with many other apps (Plex Media Server / MySQL Server / Print Server / Media Server / Etc) and it blocks roughly 27% of my DNS requests (ads and or tracking sites).

·
Registered
612 Posts
Does anyone seeing the ads have the ability to see where they are coming from (via your router, firewall, etc)? It would be interesting to know the servers (presuming they are streamed not local).

Just switched TiVo to my pi-hole (DNS service) and it's using the following during a connection.

sls.tivoservice.com
h1.tivoservice.com
mm1.tivoservice.com

·
Registered
612 Posts
Interested in this. I don't own a PyHole but would like to hear more if you have additional findings.
I keep calling in hoping I'll get the new release as I'm guessing the ads come with it. If and when I do I'll see what server is serving the ads. I presume when pi-hole blocks access (by blocking the DNS lookup) TiVo will gracefully start the recording. Should be able to relatively duplicate the process by disconnecting the Internet? Anyone try such and what did you see...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Why am I not panicking or overreacting to this like I normally do?
Actually my biggest "complaint" is that TiVo didn't come out and state what they were doing beforehand. They must have known what stink it would cause and even if in the best case it's simply a "test" they should have stepped up by now and addressed the issue.

The more you're going to do something one dislikes the sooner you better explain it. :) At least they feel respected (to some degree). In reality I would be more likely to switch because of the way it's being handled (up to now) than the actual ads - which I'm presuming I will be able to block.

·
Registered
612 Posts
people defending this, should ask themselves a simple question, what benefit, as a costumer of Tivo are getting for these ads?
I'm not sure anyone is actually defending such however a possible answer to your question is... ads may keep TiVo in business. It's not like they are fat cats not needing the revenue (to exist).

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'd like to hear more about Pi-Hole if anyone starts testing that out.
I do wish someone with ads would see what servers TiVo is hitting. I'm not on that release and during the last 24 hours TiVo has hit...

sls.tivoservice.com
h1.tivoservice.com
i.tivo.com
log.core.cloud.vewd.com

Hopefully the ad server isn't one of the above.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just received this response via the case I opened... I'm on a Roamio. I presume it's because I haven't been "upgraded" yet.

Dear Charles,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support.

I see you've heard about our Pre-Roll Advertisements. We appreciate your honest feedback about it. These are short video ads which may interest you. As per checking on our end, it shows here that the feature isn't listed in the software of your device so you shouldn't see any Pre-Roll ads on the recordings. If Pre-Roll ads shows up, you can easily skip it using the following buttons on your TiVo remote:

• SKIP
• SELECT/OK
• Channel Up
• Fast Forward
• Advance
• D

·
Registered
612 Posts
A TiVo follow-up to the case I opened... Will there be any way to disable the pre-roll ads once I receive the software upgrade?

Dear Charles,

Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support.

We can request an update so your TiVo device no longer shows an advertisement before your recording begins. You can reach us back when that happens on your TiVo DVR.

·
Registered
612 Posts
A little recap...

• Tivo via an open case stated I could opt-out of the pre-roll ads by calling in and having my account updated - since I haven't been hit with them yet I can't say for sure.
  • Hasn't everyone who has experienced ads been on the same/newer release?
  • Has someone with a Roamio experienced the ads? I only remember Bolts.
  • Has someone with ads disconnected the TiVo from the Internet to see what happens? Checking how gracefully it handles them being unavailable - similar to blocking access via pi-hole or some such.
  • If you have AutoSkip active does it jump beyond the ad? Right now with AudoSkip my recordings jump over the one minute buffer right into the show.
  • Has anyone with ads found out which servers are being used?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.