TiVo Community Forum banner
701 - 720 of 2517 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
When TiVo_Ted says "mechanisms like targeted advertising, content delivery and premium services are all going to be needed in order for us to help bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time", what evidence is there for that statement? Is the Edge notably less expensive than the Bolt and Roamio? Did I miss an announcement regarding price reductions for the cost of lifetime or monthly TiVo subscriptions?

·
Registered
568 Posts
When TiVo_Ted says "mechanisms like targeted advertising, content delivery and premium services are all going to be needed in order for us to help bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time", what evidence is there for that statement? Is the Edge notably less expensive than the Bolt and Roamio? Did I miss an announcement regarding price reductions for the cost of lifetime or monthly TiVo subscriptions?
I paid for lifetime on all my boxes. Lifetime means for the life of the box. I don't want ads added to my TE3 Roamio boxes because they don't find the revenue sustainable anymore. If they need to raise the cost of monthly and annual, so be it. Or offer a two-tiered approach where there is a slightly-less expensive one that is more ad-supported. Kind of like the Hulu model.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I paid for lifetime on all my boxes. Lifetime means for the life of the box. I don't want ads added to my TE3 Roamio boxes because they don't find the revenue sustainable anymore. If they need to raise the cost of monthly and annual, so be it. Or offer a two-tiered approach where there is a slightly-less expensive one that is more ad-supported. Kind of like the Hulu model.
Based on info provided by @TiVo_Ted, I can only throw you this:
  • There will be no pre-roll ads on your TE3 boxes ... ever; and
  • If you have TE4 boxes now or are later forced to go TE3 -> TE4, you can apply for an exemption from these ads based on subscription plan and/or tenure. My hope is that Lifetimes (perhaps with a minimum number of years) will all qualify.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I don't want ads either. Avoiding them was a big value-add for TiVo. Retail TiVos are where ads make the least sense, because those customers are probably the most sensitive to them and have the most freedom to switch boxes and services. Customers with MSO-branded TiVos presumably care the least about ads and other indecencies heaped upon them by the MSO, otherwise they'd switch. If TiVo's goal is to rid themselves of retail customers this would be an effective way to do it.

A two-tiered approach doesn't exactly scream "bring down the out-of-pocket costs for consumers over time", does it?

·
Registered
568 Posts
  • There will be no pre-roll ads on your TE3 boxes ... ever; and
  • If you have TE4 boxes now or are later forced to go TE3 -> TE4, you can apply for an exemption from these ads based on subscription plan and/or tenure. My hope is that Lifetimes (perhaps with a minimum number of years) will all qualify.
Lifetime is lifetime. It doesn't matter how many years. They got all the money up front. Under no situation would it be fair to subject lifetime subscribers to pre-roll ads. We can't vote with our wallets and walk away like monthly or annual subscribers can.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Lifetime is lifetime. It doesn't matter how many years. They got all the money up front. Under no situation would it be fair to subject lifetime subscribers to pre-roll ads. We can't vote with our wallets and walk away like monthly or annual subscribers can.
We're a captive audience, that makes us perfect ad subjects, just like when you go to a theater to watch a movie and see their stupid ads.

·
Registered
27,658 Posts
I unwrapped mine this evening since TiVo had ignored the support requests and before it would even BOOT to any menu it 'forced' 2 UPDATES - I feared 1 was maybe a LOCK to TE4 until I maybe called support BUT after doing what seemed appropriate for a new box missing a M-Card I was able to use the 'ROLL-BACK' Function which no longer is in the MENU - DO NOT KNOW IF IT EVER WAS!

50+ minutes later I was @ TE3 Software 20.7.4.RC42-USC-11-849 PLS
Simply FYI, the update procedure is standard for the Guided Setup process.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
  • There will be no pre-roll ads on your TE3 boxes ... ever
Actually, that's not what he said. All he said was there are no current plans to bring pre-roll ads to TE3. Those plans could change next year, next month, or tomorrow.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Actually, that's not what he said. All he said was there are no current plans to bring pre-roll ads to TE3. Those plans could change next year, next month, or tomorrow.
Fair enough. But in order to do that and add a "feature" they would have to take TE3 out of "Maintenance mode", and I don't know if that's ever been done before.

More likely would be a forced update to TE4?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Attributed to Zatz that I saw on DSLReports:

I saw Dave Zatz posted that this weekend on Facebook and Twitter. Also if you try to block the ad servers on your home network, it hangs indefinitely waiting to load a pre-roll add that will never load.
That would be a pretty stupid design. If your internet goes down you can't watch anything!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Fair enough. But in order to do that and add a "feature" they would have to take TE3 out of "Maintenance mode", and I don't know if that's ever been done before.

A forced "update" to TE4 won't go over well. How many people were panicking before over whether or not Hydra would be optional?

Edited to fix grammar/typo.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

I would claim that Tivo took the Tivo HD out of maintenance mode when adding H264 support to the Tivo HD for USA when Comcast changed how they transmit programs. It helped that Tivo already had H264 support for the Tivo HD in Australia, otherwise we probably would not have gotten the feature.

Having spent my career in software/firmware engineering, here's the conditions that we would update a product that is in maintenance mode:
  • Widespread issue that would render a major portion of your user base inoperable (Like H264 on Tivo HD)
  • A security issue which allows your product to be compromised
  • A data integrity issue which compromises user data from data loss and/or data corruption

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would claim that Tivo took the Tivo HD out of maintenance mode when adding H264 support to the Tivo HD for USA when Comcast changed how they transmit programs. It helped that Tivo already had H264 support for the Tivo HD in Australia, otherwise we probably would not have gotten the feature.

Having spent my career in software/firmware engineering, here's the conditions that we would update a product that is in maintenance mode:
  • Widespread issue that would render a major portion of your user base inoperable (Like H264 on Tivo HD)
  • A security issue which allows your product to be compromised
  • A data integrity issue which compromises user data from data loss and/or data corruption
Yes, but now Tivo has bean counters that will create a powerpoint that says adding ads to TE3, will generate 1 million dollars a year, an it will cost XXXXXX less then that do implement.

701 - 720 of 2517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.