TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Does anyone believe that TiVo will not expand pre-roll to rolling?
TiVo has marked the other commercials for skip, so they know where to insert their ads.
And 15 seconds will quickly expand to more seconds and more ads (and skip will probably skip to the next commercial).

These are just my pessimistic predictions.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Sorry for the delay in joining the conversation. I came back from CEDIA with a nasty case of food poisoning that ended up with me in the ER on a drip line for dehydration. No fun.

As you have noticed, we have started to rollout DVR pre-roll ads. This is part of a broader initiative to modernize TiVo's consumer business model.

The ads are served dynamically when playback starts at the beginning of a recording playback. Recordings from certain ad-free networks will not get pre-roll ads and resuming playback on a recording also does not get an ad. Lastly since these are dynamic ads, there are times when ad slots are not purchased in which case ad may not see an ad playback. To ensure the experience remains consistent these ads are skippable using the same buttons you would use for ad-skip (Chan Up, D, SKIP and FF). As part of our commitment to improve the experience, we are measuring each step in the process and will be continually optimizing the ads to reduce latency and improve performance.

We are also investing to bring more content to TiVo users. Our soon to be launched TiVo+ video service will include dozens of channels of free entertainment. We have assembled an amazing set of partners as part of this service and will be evolving it in the coming months with many more channels, on-demand movies and shows and other exciting specialty content coming as well.
This, in a word, sucks.
Put the ads in the Tivo+ service, and have a second tier for ad free.
See: Hulu

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Stop exaggerating as this was 1999 (and I remember it fondly as it changed how we watched TV when we got our first TiVo in 2000). :)

View attachment 43818

And I have no issues with how this has evolved over the past 20 years and works for us on our 65" plasma.

View attachment 43820

Scott
Hmmm... Could be that the folks who hate Hydra still use Cathode Ray Tube TVs. ;)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Bravo, @Dmbsw61380. My family is enjoying automatic commercial skip with Channels DVR, as we transition smoothly away from our aging Roamio (the last great TiVo series ever made).

To avoid the pre-roll and Guide ads I suggest you switch your TiVo to TE3 if you can, and then join us on the TiVo Alternatives thread before your next annual renewal comes around.
Does TiVo no longer allow an opt-out of the pre-roll ads?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Until the next software update, anyway. And there's at least some transition time when you don't get the ads but you do get the arrows hanging there in space for a while before each show.

Also in TE3 there are no in-guide ads, I've tweaked the Discovery Bar to the point it doesn't seem like advertising, and we're using Fire TV for streaming.

When our TE3 TiVo goes, we will switch entirely over to Channels DVR for OTA, TVE, and/or cable. That system is already set up and working well here.
Until TiVo gets around to putting the pre-roll ads on TE3 ;)
Have you heard that TiVo is pulling everyone out of the opt-out in the next software update? Link please.
(..and that arrow 'hangs there' for about a tenth of a sec for me)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yeah. Still waiting on the "72 hour delay" in getting it fixed. I'm guessing the delay is doubled due to the holidays so if it isn't fixed in a couple more days, I'll call.

I have lifetime boxes so I've already invested in and paid TiVo for their unwanted ads. There would be no issue if they had warned us about the ads. Instead, they touted a new "experience " with no mention of the ads. This isn't illegal but it is unethical, IMO. I will not invest further into TiVo.
Agree 100%
If they were smart, they would not put use ads in Lifetime subscribers TiVo, and offer reduced subscriptions to mo with ads. Works for Hulu.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Another call to TiVo, "Network connect", and reset got rid of the nastiness. So much better now without the long delay and ugly arrow before each recording.

I'm also enjoying autoskip but not enough to update my main Family Room TiVo. I don't trust the "new experience" that much.
I don't get ads, but do get the "Arrow" for less than a sec before each recording (If I blink I miss it ;))

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The reason I give TiVo a pass on the Apps is that it's the content providers (Hulu, HBOgo, etc) that are responsible for building and updating the Apps — and they are way behind updating for Tivo (but not the other players: Roku, TV, etc). Also my Roku was a one-time cost of $25. I use the Tivo 1pass to track the streaming shows, but use Roku to watch them.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Maybe TiVo just doesnt want to sell the old style DVRs with a HDD anymore. Cloud DVRs are far cheaper and where everyone is headed.
If a tornado blows your house away your recordings just keep on recording and you can even watch them from that crowded school auditorium they have you crowded into.
Commercial SKIP is clunky with CloudDVR (and AutoSKIP is non-existent).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.