TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

· Premium Member
11,090 Posts
I've probably said this before (probably during the king of Meta comedy, Community discussions), that a joke that only a very small portion of the audience gets, makes no sense except to that small part of the audience that gets it. Everyone else is like "huh"? And that's why shows like that get small audiences. And also any joke where you have to explain the joke...well...you get the idea. Anyway, I don't even remember the joke any longer so don't care much about it anymore.
I get that. I have never watch P&R so totally was lost on what they were doing. Unfortunately that is a mainstay of SNL and with the explosion of content that will become a bigger and bigger problem. There are people in this thread that don't watch streaming and there are people that only watch streaming. So the rule probably also applies to the White Lotus as well.

Reactions: Steveknj

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I get that. I have never watch P&R so totally was lost on what they were doing. Unfortunately that is a mainstay of SNL and with the explosion of content that will become a bigger and bigger problem. There are people in this thread that don't watch streaming and there are people that only watch streaming. So the rule probably also applies to the White Lotus as well.
Very true. And I agree, it's getting worse. I watched a few episodes from year one recently and I watch the 10 o'clock (eastern) reruns and there's always been some of that, but it's much more meta now, especially since they are really trying to reach a younger audience (are they still doing that? With streaming is SNL still something the youngins watch?). Once it gets to the point where I have no idea about anything on the show, I will know that I'm done with SNL.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
I've probably said this before (probably during the king of Meta comedy, Community discussions), that a joke that only a very small portion of the audience gets, makes no sense except to that small part of the audience that gets it. Everyone else is like "huh"? And that's why shows like that get small audiences. And also any joke where you have to explain the joke...well...you get the idea. Anyway, I don't even remember the joke any longer so don't care much about it anymore.
Except that P&R isn't a show that got a small audience. It was a big hit that ran for seven seasons, and the lead star is a former SNL cast member, so it's not like they were referencing some obscure show. They were referencing something that many, if not most, SNL fans would be familiar with.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
Except that P&R isn't a show that got a small audience. It was a big hit that ran for seven seasons, and the lead star is a former SNL cast member, so it's not like they were referencing some obscure show. They were referencing something that many, if not most, SNL fans would be familiar with.
I never thought it was a big hit, but more of a cult hit that got some consistent audience which was why it stayed on the air.

Of course by today's standards, it would be a huge hit, but in context, it's ratings were not great, and as the article says, always feels like it was going to get cancelled.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,071 Posts
I never thought it was a big hit, but more of a cult hit that got some consistent audience which was why it stayed on the air.

Of course by today's standards, it would be a huge hit, but in context, it's ratings were not great, and as the article says, always feels like it was going to get cancelled.
The ratings numbers aren't really that relevant to this discussion. There are some shows that will do huge viewership numbers but they never become part of "pop culture." Generic CBS procedurals get tons of viewers but don't become part of the zeitgeist. P&R is one of those shows that did become part of the general pop culture, largely due to the "Ron Swanson" character. And it didn't hurt that Chris Pratt kind of rose to fame during his time on the show.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
The ratings numbers aren't really that relevant to this discussion. There are some shows that will do huge viewership numbers but they never become part of "pop culture." Generic CBS procedurals get tons of viewers but don't become part of the zeitgeist. P&R is one of those shows that did become part of the general pop culture, largely due to the "Ron Swanson" character. And it didn't hurt that Chris Pratt kind of rose to fame during his time on the show.
I don't disagree. Just speaking to your comment that it was a big hit that got a large audience. It was actually a minor hit that had a cult following that led to it's pop culture status. Nothing wrong with that, it just never had a large audience. It's similar in vein to Community and The Good Place in that it had a loyal following, some of it spilled into pop culture.

· Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Never watched Parks & Rec but glad for the cameos.

Always enjoy Amy back in a Weekend Update chair.

Loved Black Lotus.

And all the George Santos parodies.

Skipped the music like I always do unless it's Jagger or McCartney.

· Registered
4,467 Posts
Any chance you can wait to start threads until, y'know... you actually WATCH the dang show? There's no prize for starting a thread, no cash award, no gold medal. Starting a thread just to say you didn't watch it yet is pointless. (Edit: it's even in the rules for this forum, "There is no prize in being the first to start the thread... It's best not to post until you've seen the show.")
The rules specifically state that an official episode thread shouldn't be started more than an hour before the episode airs.

Regardless, I personally wouldn't care if a thread gets started early if there's legitimate content to be shared. If all you are sharing is that you didn't watch the episode, then there's no point to start the thread other than to be the thread starter,.
Because you didn't have anything to share.
Then other people can start the thread. Or you can, when you have something to contribute, if no one else has by that time.
Jeez, give it up.

Maybe you should wait to post until YOU have something to contribute regarding the actual show? :rolleyes:

· Cheesehead
11,788 Posts
I really liked this episode. Then again, I like anything with Aubrey Plaza. The George Santos skits had me laughing, but maybe a little too much of him. LOL at Tony Hawk. Liked Amy Poehler too. I'm a big fan of Parks&Rec, so seeing her back with Aubrey on WU was fun. Didn't recognize Sharon Stone on the couch or in the detective skit. Never heard of Sam Smith. Googled them, and read the blond in the first performance was Kim Petras. Hadn't heard of her, either. Turns out they performed Unholy, which was #1 in the Billboard Charts. Guess I'm officially old. :) First #1 for a non-binary (Sam) and transgender (Kim) performer.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
I really liked this episode. Then again, I like anything with Aubrey Plaza. The George Santos skits had me laughing, but maybe a little too much of him. LOL at Tony Hawk. Liked Amy Poehler too. I'm a big fan of Parks&Rec, so seeing her back with Aubrey on WU was fun. Didn't recognize Sharon Stone on the couch or in the detective skit. Never heard of Sam Smith. Googled them, and read the blond in the first performance was Kim Petras. Hadn't heard of her, either. Turns out they performed Unholy, which was #1 in the Billboard Charts. Guess I'm officially old. :) First #1 for a non-binary (Sam) and transgender (Kim) performer.
Really mind-blowing?

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,640 Posts
Buzzfeed is one of those websites who's headlines are made strictly for clickbait and never actually is what it says it is.
It can be, but not always. They do have some good content, but most of it is more fluff for the kiddies. I will say though, that by following Buzzfeed regularly it gives me a good idea about what young people are doing so I don't seem/feel old even though I am. It makes me not quite as out of touch as many people are at my age.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
It can be, but not always. They do have some good content, but most of it is more fluff for the kiddies. I will say though, that by following Buzzfeed regularly it gives me a good idea about what young people are doing so I don't seem/feel old even though I am. It makes me not quite as out of touch as many people are at my age.
I have kids for that :)

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,640 Posts
I have kids for that :)
That's why I do it! My kids give me looks when I don't know every pop culture reference, every musical reference, every tiktoker, every youtuber. It really is almost impossible to do but I try.

Back on topic, I did know there was a new Sam Smith track that hit #1 on the Billboard chart upon its release, saw photos of him wearing that big fluffy thing from the first song, but until last night I hadn't heard it. And my reaction is that with Sam's amazing voice, he should showcase it instead of wrapping it up in weirdness. But as I said, I got old.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,581 Posts
That's why I do it! My kids give me looks when I don't know every pop culture reference, every musical reference, every tiktoker, every youtuber. It really is almost impossible to do but I try.

Back on topic, I did know there was a new Sam Smith track that hit #1 on the Billboard chart upon its release, saw photos of him wearing that big fluffy thing from the first song, but until last night I hadn't heard it. And my reaction is that with Sam's amazing voice, he should showcase it instead of wrapping it up in weirdness. But as I said, I got old.
From what little I saw of his act on SNL he does have a good voice (Is "he" appropriate BTW?). But, generationally we shouldn't talk. There was plenty of outrageous acts in the 1970s and 1980s as well, Bowie, Queen, Ozzie, Alice Cooper, NY Dolls and dozens of Punk and New Wave acts. Heck, I suppose you could compare Sam Smith to Boy George when you think about it. And Boy George had a fantastic voice.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts