TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we need a thread now.

I only know the episode recorded but I won't see it until I've gotten off the computer.

Sam Smith may be a musician I can like, but I'm not sure.

At least he's not something called "Ting Tings" which was on during prime time. Seemed like a weird time for Sigourney Weaver to promote "Avatar". That episode should have been on several weeks earlier. Overall, pretty good. I miss Bill and Fred. Bill didn't have to do anything when playing Conan except look miserable.

· LOAD"*",8,1
35,506 Posts
Any chance you can wait to start threads until, y'know... you actually WATCH the dang show? There's no prize for starting a thread, no cash award, no gold medal. Starting a thread just to say you didn't watch it yet is pointless. (Edit: it's even in the rules for this forum, "There is no prize in being the first to start the thread... It's best not to post until you've seen the show.")

· Cat God
17,522 Posts
I can’t figure out what song genre Sam Smith is in. I couldn’t categorize his first song and his second song was a Christian psalm.

The rest of the episode was above average with a surprising number of cameos.

· Premium Member
16,925 Posts
Ohhh, that's why I missed Sharon Stone. I had heard she was in the episode but I never saw her. I tend to skip through the musical segments unless they are somebody like old rock which, along with classical, is my main genre of music. Too old for some of the stuff now, I guess.

· formerly known as "unclehonkey"
2,822 Posts
Why not post in the existing SNL thread?

· Registered
4,186 Posts
Why not post in the existing SNL thread?
That's the general season thread. It doesn't preclude the use of more detailed individual episode threads; which Harley has started all season.

· Registered
4,186 Posts
Ohhh, that's why I missed Sharon Stone. I had heard she was in the episode but I never saw her. I tend to skip through the musical segments unless they are somebody like old rock which, along with classical, is my main genre of music. Too old for some of the stuff now, I guess.
She was also in the final sketch of the night - the film noir femme fatale sketch playing Aubrey Plaza's mother.

· Cat God
17,522 Posts
Any chance you can wait to start threads until, y'know... you actually WATCH the dang show? There's no prize for starting a thread, no cash award, no gold medal. Starting a thread just to say you didn't watch it yet is pointless. (Edit: it's even in the rules for this forum, "There is no prize in being the first to start the thread... It's best not to post until you've seen the show.")
At least this time he started the thread after the episode aired as opposed to several weeks beforehand. That’s progress. ;)

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,539 Posts
But of course there's a lot of threads started before the show actually airs. I don't think it's a big deal and quite common in this forum.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,539 Posts
Yeah, I had no idea that was Sharon Stone. I watched a few seconds of Sam Smith, nope, not for me. I agree, not sure what type of music that was supposed to be, or what his act is supposed to be. Is he trying to be the modern Bowie? Not sure.

The rest of the episode was OK, not the best or the worst. I like the Fox NFL opening. They nailed the analysts pretty well. A bit too much Santos, even though he's in the news a lot. The man needs to go away, and giving him all this publicity, even in a bad light, is more than he deserves. I bet he's loving every minute of it. Having never watched P&R, the Amy and Aubrey doing the characters from that show on WU fell flat for me.

· LOAD"*",8,1
35,506 Posts
But of course there's a lot of threads started before the show actually airs. I don't think it's a big deal and quite common in this forum.
The rules specifically state that an official episode thread shouldn't be started more than an hour before the episode airs.

Regardless, I personally wouldn't care if a thread gets started early if there's legitimate content to be shared. If all you are sharing is that you didn't watch the episode, then there's no point to start the thread other than to be the thread starter,.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Regardless, I personally wouldn't care if a thread gets started early if there's legitimate content to be shared. If all you are sharing is that you didn't watch the episode, then there's no point to start the thread other than to be the thread starter,.
People were posting on the season thread. It has been tradition to use the episode thread. So I was getting it ready.

I didn't have anything to share but if we need a thread, why not start one?

· Registered
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That's the general season thread. It doesn't preclude the use of more detailed individual episode threads; which Harley has started all season.
Only because that's what we had last season.

I don't recall liking any of the sketches that much. The cold open was okay but Strahan is much more articulate than that on "Pyramid" Yang was great as usual but when I saw a photo of Santos during "Weekend Update" I thought Colin should have played that role. Then Yang showed up there too, so that explained that.

I understood what "Black Lotus": was having seen "White Lotus" win so many awards. I did like the desk clerks. I also knew who Jennifer Coolidge was because she keeps winning awards on the shows I have watched.

I liked the tour. The one guy was so terrible at delivering his line he must have been one of the real set people. they are great at their job.

Aubrey was good at her various roles. I can't say i liked the two Billie Eilish type characters.

Five seconds of Sam Smith was enough the first time. But I'm glad I stayed around for the second song. No, I didn't know know that was Sharon Stone. She's old, so I never would have suspected she was the one who was that good looking.

I couldn't believe they put so much makeup on people for the Avatar sketch but then I noticed the lighting changed. I didn't think it was possible to light the people that way.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,047 Posts
Yeah, I had no idea that was Sharon Stone. I watched a few seconds of Sam Smith, nope, not for me. I agree, not sure what type of music that was supposed to be, or what his act is supposed to be. Is he trying to be the modern Bowie? Not sure.
After his first song finished, there was a commercial advertising tickets for Sam Smith's upcoming tour. He's playing in a big arena. I remember thinking "Are there enough people who like that kind of music to fill a full arena?" I wonder if his is the type of show that will sell out in hours, or if there will still be tix available day of.

The rest of the episode was OK, not the best or the worst. I like the Fox NFL opening. They nailed the analysts pretty well. A bit too much Santos, even though he's in the news a lot. The man needs to go away, and giving him all this publicity, even in a bad light, is more than he deserves. I bet he's loving every minute of it. Having never watched P&R, the Amy and Aubrey doing the characters from that show on WU fell flat for me.
The bit of Aubrey doing her P&R character, the only thing you need to get is that her character, April, was all about doing as little work as possible. And it seems like they just brought Amy on so she could make a couple meta jokes about how she used to be the WU anchor and then do the final joke of the night.

I was surprised at how much effort went into the production design of the Avatar sketch, but they seemed to completely forget about the writing part. That was a completely stupid sketch and a waste of all that production talent.

The Black Lotus was good, having just recently watched both S1 and S2 of that show.

· Happily Vaccinated!
63,539 Posts
After his first song finished, there was a commercial advertising tickets for Sam Smith's upcoming tour. He's playing in a big arena. I remember thinking "Are there enough people who like that kind of music to fill a full arena?" I wonder if his is the type of show that will sell out in hours, or if there will still be tix available day of.

The bit of Aubrey doing her P&R character, the only thing you need to get is that her character, April, was all about doing as little work as possible. And it seems like they just brought Amy on so she could make a couple meta jokes about how she used to be the WU anchor and then do the final joke of the night.

I was surprised at how much effort went into the production design of the Avatar sketch, but they seemed to completely forget about the writing part. That was a completely stupid sketch and a waste of all that production talent.

The Black Lotus was good, having just recently watched both S1 and S2 of that show.
I've probably said this before (probably during the king of Meta comedy, Community discussions), that a joke that only a very small portion of the audience gets, makes no sense except to that small part of the audience that gets it. Everyone else is like "huh"? And that's why shows like that get small audiences. And also any joke where you have to explain the joke...well...you get the idea. Anyway, I don't even remember the joke any longer so don't care much about it anymore.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts