TiVo Community Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· 4 8 15 16 23 42
13,640 Posts
I think we need something better than "they". I always think of they as more than one. But that's another discussion.
At this point, it is what it is. But yes, Sam Smith has a freaking amazing voice, and so did Boy George. In George's case though he didn't drown it in effects and lose it in the music, he was right out front. Which Sam Smith can do if he wants, I'm just not a fan of that sort of thing.

Here he showcases his voice. No autotune, no effects other than some reverb. And being sued by Tom Petty hahaha (it was resolved btw, Petty gets cowriting credit on this song).

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I think we need something better than "they". I always think of they as more than one. But that's another discussion.
I agree. I have a hard time comprehending anything where a single person is referred to as "they" once the gender assigned at birth is known (or there was a sex-change operation). Even if you can't tell (and SNL has done this with "Pat") it still doesn't work for me once I have seen the person or know there is a specific person.

· Mouse Master
Smug & Arrogant
6,991 Posts
And yet, you still brought it up after explicitly asking what their pronouns are.

We already have a perfectly fine word. Words change meanings all the time. It’s not about your comfort.

· Old Man Vicious
Old Man Vicious
12,327 Posts
I agree. I have a hard time comprehending anything where a single person is referred to as "they" once the gender assigned at birth is known (or there was a sex-change operation). Even if you can't tell (and SNL has done this with "Pat") it still doesn't work for me once I have seen the person or know there is a specific person.
I've never really been sure why people care. It has nothing to do with you. If they want to be called "they" call them "they". It doesn't effect you at all and makes them happy. My daughter's partner is "they". Was a bit strange at first but it's fine.

· Registered
7,522 Posts
Singular they is like roundabouts. Most people above a certain age complain about them and don't like using them. Those younger than a certain age think what's the malfunction we were taught this once is it really that difficult? Would you continue to stop while in the roundabout after getting learning that's not how it works? If not then why the resistance to singular they? As that is how that works.

· Registered
17 Posts
Looks like we need a thread now.

I only know the episode recorded but I won't see it until I've gotten off the computer.

Sam Smith may be a musician I can like, but I'm not sure.

At least he's not something called "Ting Tings" which was on during prime time. Seemed like a weird time for Sigourney Weaver to promote "Avatar". That episode should have been on several weeks earlier. Overall, pretty good. I miss Bill and Fred. Bill didn't have to do anything when playing Conan except look miserable.
I fell asleep during the show. Because I have Comcast, I was able to catch the show through the Peacock app. I have the cable box connected to a TV card in my computer so I was able to record it as well.

· Registered
470 Posts
I thought it was an unusually great episode, I'm a big fan of the host and had seen most of the things they referenced. I loved Black Lotus because it poked fun at several of the more absurd story lines and Aubrey didn't play her own character or a parody of her character. The part of her ripping on the dumbass kid for getting conned out of 50k Euros by a hooker was great. The M3gan bit was pretty good having the real actor from the movie do a cameo.

· Registered
4,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I really liked this episode. Then again, I like anything with Aubrey Plaza. The George Santos skits had me laughing, but maybe a little too much of him.
Oh, I don't know. Yang is always good.
LOL at Tony Hawk. Liked Amy Poehler too. I'm a big fan of Parks&Rec, so seeing her back with Aubrey on WU was fun.
Never cared for Amy myself and I didn't like the reunion episode, the only one I ever saw.
Didn't recognize Sharon Stone on the couch or in the detective skit. Never heard of Sam Smith. Googled them, and read the blond in the first performance was Kim Petras. Hadn't heard of her, either. Turns out they performed Unholy, which was #1 in the Billboard Charts. Guess I'm officially old. :) First #1 for a non-binary (Sam) and transgender (Kim) performer.
I didn't recognize Sharon either. I knew who Sam Smith was for some reason and thought I liked his kind of music, but not in this case. The second song didn't need his contribution in my opinion.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts