TiVo Community Forum banner
261 - 280 of 331 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Congrats!

Not that this will make you feel any better, but I don't remember ever having a successful cableco install with my TiVos (from either Comcast Xfinity or Verizon Fios). They never seem to be able to pair it properly upon installation and I have to spend hours on the phone with them after the fact. That is why I dread losing my cableCARD pairing and why I have a backup of the hard drive with the settings I need, ready to plug in the moment I have a problem.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that the part that was the most challenging for you is not limited to Charter Spectrum. I'm not sure about Spectrum, but both Xfinity and Fios have an on-line tool to activate cableCARDs and that has never worked for me either. I wish it was an easier process, but then, the cablecos would have to WANT there to be! :)
My original install with my TiVo cable card went surprisingly easy (way back in 2010). When I upgraded my TiVo to a Roamio (6 tuner 3 TB version), all I did was pop in the old cable card and it worked fine. I've never had any issues. I've heard CC knowledge in the field is dropping as a buddy had varying issues when he had a suspected bad Bolt. Diagnostics kept pointing to the TiVo or the card, and VZ would bring out cards that were suspect, and if one didn't work, it just went back into a box full of used cards. Eventually, I think it was the TiVo, I'm hazy on the final resolution (it was successful), but ultimately VZ kept working at it until it was fixed. There was a possible issue with the ONT, too, which was replaced.

· Registered
60 Posts
Well, everyone has been looking for confirmation that CableCARDs are going away, and here it is. This just came a few minutes ago in today’s mail.

Notice that this letter has an actual call to action date that none of the previous letters or emails have had.

I have whited out the name and address, in the picture, for obvious reasons.

Although this letter comes from marketing, it now has an action date, in the actual body of the letter itself, other than just a date, in the fine print, for taking advantage of getting the receiver or Apple TV.

Looks like they stopped being vague about this issue, and now they are more firmly nailing it down.

Blue Font Material property Paper Electric blue

· Registered
60 Posts
“on or after”

This is not a definite date.
That just means it won’t be earlier than January 20, 2023, but now they are actually coming out and saying that CableCARDs will cease to function and by when at the soonest.

They have to say “on or after” in their letters because it may not be on that exact date to allow customers to have their provisions in place. It is a 40 day notice which 45 days would be on January 25, 2023 and 60 days would be February 4, 2023 so it makes sense that they might build in an additional padding to take it up to 45 or 60 days total to allow for last minute tech appointments and self-installs.

The last letter, before today, I got about something said that “on or after” November 1, 2022, changes would be made to make all remaining SD channels come in HD and that there would be additional channels added in HD only.

This did not happen exactly “on” November 1, but it did happen a few days “after”. Now, all of the remaining SD channels are in HD on Spectrum’s end as confirmed by the resolution detected by TiVo on the incoming signal on each of the ones that were previously SD, and we’ve gotten 6 new channels, so far, in which they are no longer putting any SD counterparts on the lower side.

Every call to action letter I have received from them on anything they have done have always used that “on or after” verbiage so I anticipate they probably won’t make the change exactly on January 20 but more likely a few days after to maybe up to the first part of February 2023.

· Registered
8,329 Posts
That just means it won’t be earlier than January 20, 2023, but now they are actually coming out and saying that CableCARDs will cease to function and by when at the soonest.

They have to say “on or after” in their letters because it may not be on that exact date to allow customers to have their provisions in place. It is a 40 day notice which 45 days would be on January 25, 2023 and 60 days would be February 4, 2023 so it makes sense that they might build in an additional padding to take it up to 45 or 60 days total to allow for last minute tech appointments and self-installs.

The last letter, before today, I got about something said that “on or after” November 1, 2022, changes would be made to make all remaining SD channels come in HD and that there would be additional channels added in HD only.

This did not happen exactly “on” November 1, but it did happen a few days “after”. Now, all of the remaining SD channels are in HD on Spectrum’s end as confirmed by the resolution detected by TiVo on the incoming signal on each of the ones that were previously SD, and we’ve gotten 6 new channels, so far, in which they are no longer putting any SD counterparts on the lower side.

Every call to action letter I have received from them on anything they have done have always used that “on or after” verbiage so I anticipate they probably won’t make the change exactly on January 20 but more likely a few days after to maybe up to the first part of February 2023.
Could be Jan 20, could be Feb.

Could be March, April or Novemberor 2024.

Nothing is clear in the notice.

· Registered
60 Posts
Could be Jan 20, could be Feb.

Could be March, April or Novemberor 2024.

Nothing is clear in the notice.
It is not closed-ended, but given that every previous notice I have ever gotten on plans of other things has also never been a closed-ended notice but said activity still occurred shortly thereafter, I put more stock in this than the previous letters I got on it back in the summer/early fall.

I’m still going take the same stance, though, of testing the waters because I can still do other means temporarily, if need be, so that if it ends up they hold off for awhile, I won’t be prematurely giving up TiVo and CableCARD/Tuning Adaper combo. If it does happen, like this notice is saying, then I’ll use alternate means for a few days to get one of their DVR’s put in, but I’m going to wait until I absolutely have to switch before I do.

As I write this, I decided to call technical support just to see what they would say about this letter since it has an actual “on or after” date in it.

The person I talked to seem pretty knowledgeable about this and he said this is happening, BUT (and take this “but” with caution of whether or not it is actually true) he said there is now still a way to keep using the CableCARD. He mentioned that the Tuning Adapter would get replaced with what he called a High Speed Converter. He said it would take the place of the Tuning Adapter and that I would keep my CableCARD with it staying paired to the TiVo.

This is the absolute first I have heard of any such thing, though, and I can’t find anything online about it. He said there are still a number of customers who have indicated they will not take any action until things stop working so either this is something very new or else a means of trying to hold out those customers in some way.

He did mention that this is supposed to overcome the problem CableCARDS will have with high-split coming where the internet will be upgraded to make the upstream speed match the downstream speed. From what he is saying it is supposed to act as a tuning adapter while alleviating the issue the higher frequencies will cause where the CableCARD likely won’t be able to hit that high, but it will still be a one-way configuration so still no VOD or interactive capabilities.

I tried calling a neighboring local cable company that services a neighboring county, and I also tried calling another of the big providers, similar to Spectrum, just to see if they had ever heard of any such device, and neither one said they had ever heard of a device called a High Speed Converter. Although technology differs at least some from provider to provider, I figured they might at least be familiar with that term or technology if it truly exists. Since they have never heard of it, I have no way, as of yet, to confirm if this device is actually a thing or not.

I’m still going to assume, for now, that the most likely scenario will be losing CableCARD, but if the representative is actually right on this, then TiVo on Spectrum might still be able to survive for the foreseeable future. The next time I am by the local office, here, I am going to go in and ask if they know about such device, and if so, if they have the device available over the counter.

· Registered
992 Posts
He mentioned that the Tuning Adapter would get replaced with what he called a High Speed Converter. He said it would take the place of the Tuning Adapter and that I would keep my CableCARD with it staying paired to the TiVo.
This is the absolute first I have heard of any such thing, though, and I can’t find anything online about it.
It actually might be a newer TA, as already posted a couple times in another thread:

· Registered
8,329 Posts
He did mention that this is supposed to overcome the problem CableCARDS will have with high-split coming where the internet will be upgraded to make the upstream speed match the downstream speed. From what he is saying it is supposed to act as a tuning adapter while alleviating the issue the higher frequencies will cause where the CableCARD likely won’t be able to hit that high, but it will still be a one-way configuration so still no VOD or interactive capabilities.

EDIT: oops, sorry I didn’t see this was already posted above.

· Registered
60 Posts
It sounds like the representative meant High Split Converter instead then, and that will be good to not have to give up TiVo. I can definitely be happy with replacing the Tuning Adapter with the converter and going on from there.

· Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the St Louis area; I got an email this morning saying that I need to get a high split converter by January 16.

If you wish to continue using your CableCARD(s), you will need a High Split Converter device beginning on January 16, 2023. Without this additional equipment, the TV services you receive through your CableCARD enabled devices will no longer be accessible.

· Registered
304 Posts
I'm in the St Louis area; I got an email this morning saying that I need to get a high split converter by January 16.
I'm also in the St Louis area, so thank you for that head's up. Interesting that they're offering the High Split converter device to allow CableCARDs to keep working. I guess they figured out to do it after all.

I hadn't seen any of the emails or postal mailings in close to a month about this whole situation, so they must have been working on this process to keep CableCARDs during radio silence.

TV service is all I have with them now, having moved Internet and phone service to other providers in prep for kicking them completely to the curb. Guess maybe I don't have to now.

· Registered
8,329 Posts
Interesting that two sets of letters are going out.

One is vague, saying CC won’t work with some services, on an unspecified date, and urged you to get a discounted AppleTV.

One is specific, gives an exact date, and says your cc won’t work, period, unless you use their free replacement adapter.

Seems to me the vague letter is a preemptive strike to scare people into turning over their cc and the other is an actual solution for those who haven’t been duped and still have their card.

· Registered
304 Posts
Font Parallel Document Number Electric blue

This was in an email sent to a family member who's also in the St Louis charter area, from this morning. I don't have one sent to me yet. I went to the Spectrum.com/HSC website, logged in with my Spectrum account information and ordered 5 High Split Converters to my address, just to be safe. If for some reason, I'm in the can't use them camp, then I'll return the package when it shows up.

· Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like the representative meant High Split Converter instead then, and that will be good to not have to give up TiVo. I can definitely be happy with replacing the Tuning Adapter with the converter and going on from there.
Found this via Google search -- 6th paragraph mentions Vecima developing a High Split Converter as a new product. There is no date quoted or mentioned. The company is Canadian.

· Registered
2,386 Posts
It's saying on or after because chances are, they are upgrading, but the changes may or may not affect you. Nothing big is happening in January. They may move channels around and do other things, but chances are the changes will happen. Whether they affect you depends on what channels you watch. If the channel you watch is one they're going to move in late January, you will lose service. If it isn't, you probably won't notice.

All they're saying is that they're going to make changes to the network, and none of them will be done with consideration for existing CableCARD users. So maybe end of January they will do something and if you don't notice, hey, it still works. But maybe then they do something Feb 1 and you lose half your favourite TV shows.

That's why it's "on or after" - the changes they need to make may not affect you depending on your viewing habits.

It could also be they're not sure what option you'll take - are you going to cancel? Take then up on an AppleTV? They could very well run out of an option (e.g., if everyone takes the AppleTV, given it's the holiday season) and thus have people who cannot transition because their desired option isn't available. After all, if they assumed 10,000 people would want the AppleTV, but then 30,000 people did, then they can't very well transition people away if they're not able to get everyone their desired option by the deadline.

· Registered
8,329 Posts
… then they can't very well transition people away if they're not able to get everyone their desired option by the deadline.
hahaha sure they could.

You think they’d delay a revenue generating feature rollout because they couldn’t deliver a special offer in time? Never.

They’d just give the customer the other option, or them the customer leave.

· Registered
8,329 Posts
Found this via Google search -- 6th paragraph mentions Vecima developing a High Split Converter as a new product. There is no date quoted or mentioned. The company is Canadian.
The devices are in the wild, in some Spectrum markets.

A customer the TiVo Facebook group got one and posted a photo.

· Registered
60 Posts
View attachment 77882

This was in an email sent to a family member who's also in the St Louis charter area, from this morning. I don't have one sent to me yet. I went to the Spectrum.com/HSC website, logged in with my Spectrum account information and ordered 5 High Split Converters to my address, just to be safe. If for some reason, I'm in the can't use them camp, then I'll return the package when it shows up.
Did you order those 5 High Split Converters based on CableCARDs/Tuning Adapters only or do some of those also include Spectrum receivers, like the DCX3200, which has an embedded CableCARD in it?

261 - 280 of 331 Posts