TiVo Community Forum banner
241 - 260 of 330 Posts

· Registered
413 Posts
The letter also states "NOTE: If you are using TiVo device series 1, 2, or 3, you will need to contact TiVo to upgrade to the newest series to avoid any disruption to your service".
So this seems like a new twist.
This means the new channels are in H.264, and was the same issue that other providers (Comcast was among the first as I recall) notified their customers of when they made such a change. This typically also means if you have an older STB (DCT/DCH?) you will need to upgrade the box (although maybe they have already pushed that part separately).
No mention in this particular letter about dropping support for CableCards.
Left hand and right hand. They don't talk often. It is not a new issue for many large operators who seem to communicate some things poorly, but it is embarrassing. I would also guess that these new channels are also being added to a larger regional area, so the letter was likely written for many that are not just your locale (again, lack of hand talking).
I have a TiVo Premiere XL4, which is Series 4, so apparently I won't be affected by this change. But the possibly better news is that the letter seems to imply that perhaps CableCard support is no longer going away, at least for now?
I would not read too much into a lack of clarity, but no one other than Charter knows the actual schedules for your particular area.

Completely separately, some engineering focused folk who have looked at Charter's plans have raised an eyebrow about Charter not mentioning some of the real world issues that they will experience and will have to deal with, and how it will impact schedules (such as potentially having to go inside every residence in some locations to remove/replace drop amps, and replace splitters and/or add filters, along with all the plant work expected). Comcast did some early field trials of their mid-split deployments and reported the results at various cable tech conferences many years ago now and how those tests results in changes to plans (and pushing out the schedules by what turned out to be years, although some of that ended up due to other changes in the plan that became viable). High-split has all the mid-split issues, plus more, so the engineering focused people expect the roll-out to be more of a slog than Charter has publicly acknowledged, so that could work in favor of those who want to continue to use their TiVo for just a bit longer (although, as always, your location will vary).

· Roamio OTA Geek
14 Posts
Well, if you guys recall, there's been rumors going around about this for a couple years. In the meantime, I have refused to buy new models and recently replaced a flaky roamio. Swapped hdd and cable card from old unit.
Of COURSE I had trouble getting cable card to register but the Spectrum tech knew what he was doing, did some kinda 'force' and it started working.
During chat, I asked him and he said the rumors in his world were no different than a year ago and still
"Sometime in future"

· Registered
266 Posts
Welp - here we are (decades long Tivo users in many cities) on the cusp of moving to a town where Spectrum is the only cable - and only ISP choice!!! All this talk of no longer supporting cablecards is disconcerting - but I see people are still using them. We are at about 50/50 streaming (Apple TV) and using our Roamio Pro (original UI) -

Just pondering if Tivo's going to be "canceled" by Spectrum soon - maybe it's better to switch now to broadband + YouTubeTV (for instance). Scanning the forums (tldr) opinions seem all over the map but so far there hasn't been a global elimination of Tivo on Spectrum... hmmm

· Registered
8,340 Posts
Welp - here we are (decades long Tivo users in many cities) on the cusp of moving to a town where Spectrum is the only cable - and only ISP choice!!! All this talk of no longer supporting cablecards is disconcerting - but I see people are still using them. We are at about 50/50 streaming (Apple TV) and using our Roamio Pro (original UI) -

Just pondering if Tivo's going to be "canceled" by Spectrum soon - maybe it's better to switch now to broadband + YouTubeTV (for instance). Scanning the forums (tldr) opinions seem all over the map but so far there hasn't been a global elimination of Tivo on Spectrum... hmmm
Spectrum still supports CableCards in each of its markets.

· Registered
266 Posts
Spectrum still supports CableCards in each of its markets.
Yes, thanks, as I noted - "people are still using them" - but the real question (which no one seems to be able to answer definitively) - is - for how long?
I guess we ask/fight for it in the new place and keep on going as long as possible! It's going to require a truck roll since the seller has DirectTV... another thing they no longer like to do.

· A repeated victim of Time Warner DBA Spectrum
171 Posts
Well OK. Here we are. I have been off Spectrum for month or so, and had turned both my cablecards back in. I was considering going to the new TiVo box, having had some issues with my current provider. Yes, you guessed it. Spectrum has informed me that I am no longer considered a cablecard account and cannot acquire a new one. So folks...if you want to stay with Spectrum do NOT let your cablecard lapse. This was the first time Spectrum has told me that I cannot have a new one. I don't think this applies to replacements but they certainly don't want any new customers.

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Well OK. Here we are. I have been off Spectrum for month or so, and had turned both my cablecards back in. I was considering going to the new TiVo box, having had some issues with my current provider. Yes, you guessed it. Spectrum has informed me that I am no longer considered a cablecard account and cannot acquire a new one. So folks...if you want to stay with Spectrum do NOT let your cablecard lapse. This was the first time Spectrum has told me that I cannot have a new one. I don't think this applies to replacements but they certainly don't want any new customers.
It never hurts to file a complaint with the Attorney General, FCC, or some V.P. for Charter. I'm not saying it will do anything, but it can't hurt.

· Registered
266 Posts
Just ordered new service with Spectrum starting 10/18/22 - we have to pay a $50 truck roll fee due to the house being connected to DirectTV - I assume DTV have taken over the in house cable wiring. It could be simple to switch back - but maybe not... I don't want to mess with it. (built in a planned development in 2014, so cable TV feed is likely in the street/panel) Ah, for the old days when the cable guy came out for free to get your business!!!!

The phone call took 40 minutes - this wasn't waiting to speak to someone - just the time it took to enter new service. That's INSANE - all you need is name, address, service type and appointment. geeesh. After a long long time on hold after asking them 3x to make sure the installer brings a tuning adapter and cablecard......... The answer finally was - YES - they will bring the tuning adapter and cablecard!

Granted, given the level of incompetency that takes 40 minutes to do something so basic - I'm skeptical they will do what's been asked for. We shall see. If they deny providing it on the install then it's Plan B - no more cable TV, no more Tivo. :-( Not ready for that day just yet.

Reactions: pl1

171 Posts
It never hurts to file a complaint with the Attorney General, FCC, or some V.P. for Charter. I'm not saying it will do anything, but it can't hurt.
Well, my understanding is that the cable companies no longer have to support Cablecard in any shape or fashion, and Spectrum is just taking advantage of that. Given the hassles I had with the technology, I can understand why they wanted to dump it, money aside. And I would expect no help whatsoever from what passes for an "attorney general" here in the "Great State of Texas".

171 Posts
Granted, given the level of incompetency that takes 40 minutes to do something so basic - I'm skeptical they will do what's been asked for. We shall see. If they deny providing it on the install then it's Plan B - no more cable TV, no more Tivo. :-( Not ready for that day just yet.
Not ONCE while I was with Spectrum did they dispatch a tech who had any idea 1) what a Cablecard was or 2) what a TiVo was, despite the repeated assurances from the ordertakers that they would.

And two quick questions...where are you located and was your system originally Time Warner or Charter? Just curious as to how they're disassembling the Cablecard system, such as it was.

· Registered
266 Posts
Not ONCE while I was with Spectrum did they dispatch a tech who had any idea 1) what a Cablecard was or 2) what a TiVo was, despite the repeated assurances from the ordertakers that they would.

And two quick questions...where are you located and was your system originally Time Warner or Charter? Just curious as to how they're disassembling the Cablecard system, such as it was.
We've owned 10 different houses in the last 22 years over a few states (including this move) and have had Spectrum several times. It's usually been a pretty easy install with knowledgeable techs.
We are currently with Xfinity in Northern CA/Bay Area but moving to Central CA. We've actually lived there before in the early 2000s and it was Brighthouse, before Spectrum. They were amazingly good - and no one ever says that about any cable company! Spectrum took over and it went from a "10" to about a "5". Here in NorCal Xfinity wasn't difficult with Tivo, and they don't require the stupid/flakey tuning adapter - which is nice.

I might call Spectrum the day before to remind them to bring the tuning adapter and cablecard.

As far as the FCC etc. - with no more rule to comply to they all can do whatever they want - but they will lose customers in the process and cable tv is exsanguinating customers right now to streaming alternatives. The writing is on the wall for them too.

· Registered
41 Posts
I have not yet dumped the cablecard, but, according to all of the correspondence from Spectrum, we do not have to turn in the cablecards if we terminate that service. Same goes with the tuning adapter. I was hoping that would be a saving Grace if I chose to terminate and then changed my mind, but I guess they could refuse to initiate service again? I don't know how that works from their end.

171 Posts
That's just it, no one knows. Not even Spectrum. I was told the other day they were no longer autorizing Cablecards and that they would continue to charge the (admittedly small) monthly fee for any outstanding. But I'd bet you could call right now and get a completely different answer. Whatever. :cautious:

· Registered
266 Posts
Just a followup - I was able to get the Cablecard and tuning adapter without any complaints, though a lot of incompetence. First appointment - (after reminding them) guy shows up and doesn't have the equipment. Says he can't even see that it's requested until after he is dispatched. Can't/Won't go get it and come back - reschedules it for 2 days later. Meanwhile we have zero cell phone data reception 1 bar at best - so no internet. He also refused to just give me internet to help out in the coming 2 day blackout. Said they have to do everything - or nothing. UGH Next guy shows - same thing - no equipment - no clue. After a long time calling in he gets a supervisor on the line and the super drives over with the equipment and they figure it out. Almost. Looks like TV - Internet is good - but of course Tivo has to run guided setup again to fully test it out. It came back hours later that the cablecard wasn't paired properly - so I got them on the phone and managed to talk through it. Finally working! They didn't give any indication that it wasn't a long term setup. Still holding on - though this tested my patience to the point I almost said forget it and just go with Spectrum internet and start YouTubeTV instead!!!

171 Posts
I am completely unsurprised by any of that. That is exactly what happened with my first TiVo install six years back. Cablecards always where the b** stepchild for TWC/Spectrum. Now, they don't even acknowledge that they are, or ever were, an option.

· Registered
2,170 Posts
Just a followup - I was able to get the Cablecard and tuning adapter without any complaints, though a lot of incompetence. First appointment - (after reminding them) guy shows up and doesn't have the equipment. Says he can't even see that it's requested until after he is dispatched. Can't/Won't go get it and come back - reschedules it for 2 days later. Meanwhile we have zero cell phone data reception 1 bar at best - so no internet. He also refused to just give me internet to help out in the coming 2 day blackout. Said they have to do everything - or nothing. UGH Next guy shows - same thing - no equipment - no clue. After a long time calling in he gets a supervisor on the line and the super drives over with the equipment and they figure it out. Almost. Looks like TV - Internet is good - but of course Tivo has to run guided setup again to fully test it out. It came back hours later that the cablecard wasn't paired properly - so I got them on the phone and managed to talk through it. Finally working! They didn't give any indication that it wasn't a long term setup. Still holding on - though this tested my patience to the point I almost said forget it and just go with Spectrum internet and start YouTubeTV instead!!!
Congrats!

Not that this will make you feel any better, but I don't remember ever having a successful cableco install with my TiVos (from either Comcast Xfinity or Verizon Fios). They never seem to be able to pair it properly upon installation and I have to spend hours on the phone with them after the fact. That is why I dread losing my cableCARD pairing and why I have a backup of the hard drive with the settings I need, ready to plug in the moment I have a problem.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that the part that was the most challenging for you is not limited to Charter Spectrum. I'm not sure about Spectrum, but both Xfinity and Fios have an on-line tool to activate cableCARDs and that has never worked for me either. I wish it was an easier process, but then, the cablecos would have to WANT there to be! :)

· Registered
8,340 Posts
End of October come and gone, CableCards still working as before. No emails or postal mailings in a few weeks, so maybe they're on pause until they figure out when they're actually going to make this change.
Or maybe people should stop listening to phone agents and tech installers who don’t know the full story, and then reporting what they’re told as fact?

· Registered
5 Posts
Central Kentucky here

That's nifty. One of the reasons why I've kept going back to Roku is they, like Tivo, have an instant replay button right on the remote. You can also set it to only turn on captions during instant replay.

Same here but with the Reds. :LOL: And unfortunately there's still a few years left on the ACC's (pre-ACC Network) agreement with Fox/Bally Sports South.
Some other voice and touch commands from an Apple TV remote:
Tap the touch pad once (and don't click it) - you'll see the timeline with elapsed and time remaining.
Tap it a second time and it shows current clock time and prospective end time on the timeline

If using voice "Hey Siri" is not utilized. Just depress the Siri button to tell it what to do.
Navigation on streamed shows/movies not live: Say: "Go back x seconds, minutes, etc." or "go forward x seconds, minutes, etc." I think I've even told it to go ahead fractions of a second... This is also where "What did she say" works. That's my favorite feature I think.
Other Nav commands - scrubbing is awesome. "Go to X ("end," "beginning," "47th minute mark, etc."
"Subtitles on/off" (will put them on default language" or "Subtitles on, English" - (or Italian, German, Spanish... whatever languages the material supports)
Verbosity - If you don't have subtitles already on, you can just say "Subtitles" and it will assume you want them on. The commands don't have to be verbose. You can say "What time is it?" or just "Time" and you'll get the same response on screen. Also, "Put on CNBC" or just "CNBC" or "War of the Worlds Season 3 Episode 6"
"Movie Name" (will bring up list of apps that have the movie - including ones not installed, and prices for buying or renting if applicable
"Show name" - same as movie. For instance, "Dick Van ****" or "Yellowstone"
"Set temperature to X" or "raise/lower temperature x degree(s)" works with HomeKit compatible thermostats like ecobee
"Dim the lights in the family room" or many other commands for HomeKit compatible devices like Lutron, Philips Hue, etc.

241 - 260 of 330 Posts