TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
I think the main problem with the show was, it depended on the viewers having a reasonably working knowledge of how baseball worked - not just the game, but behind the scenes as well.
Can you give example(s) of what you mean, especially the "behind the scenes" part?

Maybe it's because I think baseball is the only one of the major sports where I know all of the (main) rules and the positions, but I can't think of anything complex about it/what was needed to be known beyond the basic rules. (I obviously know "get the ball in the hoop/goal/goal" for basketball/soccer/football, but beyond a couple of positions at most, I don't know all of the positions or the specific rules.)

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
APB, Son of Zorn, and Making History all cancelled by Fox as well
While I have to repeat I liked the conceptually similar "Pure Genius" far better, I was getting into APB. Making History was _dumb_ comedy, but I still laughed at it sometimes. (Plus, I'm a fan of time travel shows usually.) I know I have a bunch of Son of Zorn eps recorded.. it could be funny at times, and I don't _expect_ to delete them unwatched.. but was always a "I'll watch that some other time" show.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
Wow, Two Broke Girls cancelled.. This show is as lowbrow as they come, but I thought it was very funny.

I may have missed it a few pages back, but did people realize Timeless was UN-cancelled, and is coming back midseason? Apparently it's because enough people raised a fuss after it was cancelled.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
:( I had hoped that maybe this one could survive but was pretty sure it was a goner. Too bad. I liked Perry and Lennon together. It was silly, but I think they did pretty well with the characters.
I watched "The Odd Couple", mostly because it was Matthew Perry being Matthew Perry.. i.e. Chandler was also just him apparently being him, or else he can "act" nothing except like Chandler.

But they really were only very very vaguely like the characters from the original movie or the 70s TV show (or one of the other TV versions, but at least one other one was done during a strike and used the 70s scripts)... Specifically, Oscar wasn't much of a slob, and Felix wasn't much of a germaphobe, and he did the nose honk thing like maybe once?

Again, I've actually sort of "defended" that in other threads, and actually think the "Odd Couple" premise is so easily redo-able that I will probably see several more incarnations as the years go by...

But this one seemed to mostly hang its hat on the name (and the reuse of the theme), rather than the subject matter/characteristics of the characters.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
ok, I realized after I posted that many people did mention the un-cancellation of Timeless.. it was just farther back in the thread.

Anyway, maybe another repeat, but from a Variety article, I see that Elementary is back, for midseason. Bummer, but better than being cancelled.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
There have been multiple Conviction shows. The most recent one on ABC. Before that one it was a Dick Wolf show on NBC.

Conviction (TV Series 2006- ) - IMDb
Heh, both of those shows were very good...

and I'm slightly bummed Chicago Law or whatever it was called was cancelled. It's the first new law show I've liked in a while.. (I like "Bull" too, and yeah, it's a kind of a law show, but slightly different than the usual.)

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
"Carmichael Show" is cancelled, after Jarrod said he would not be back next year. So Ending/Cancelled take your pick
Wow, that's actually really a bummer. I've been liking this show more and more. Admittedly, it's not "hilarious", but it truly seemed to me like one of the few shows that is like a modern Norman Lear type show.. one that takes on serious subjects but can be funny too.. Actually, as Blackish was mentioned, Blackish is a much much much lighter version of a similar thing, since they've lately taken on more serious subjects once in a while.

(I should go back and look at summaries of the first season.. The first episodes of Carmichael Show seemed much goofier and not Norman Lear-ish.)

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
If you're looking for Norman Lear-ish, why not watch One Day at a Time on Netflix, which is actually produced by the man himself?
That's just a remake.

(mostly joking.. I currently don't have Netflix.. way too much to record on other channels, though some eon I'll subscribe for a while and binge on some of their orig shows.. same with Hulu's origs, etc..)

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
I guess they paid the Ransom.

CBS "Ransom" was cancelled in May, but is coming back.

Many countries/studios produce it, so CBS figured why not and it will air on Saturday TBD
That's pretty cool! Weird, I think I enjoy some of these summer shows lately (not "Zoo" and "Extant".. those are terrible but I keep watching for some reason) about as much as others.. I guess because these many-foreign-productions often duhh, go to exotic locales and such.. and are produced as well as many movies.

(OK, I misremembered, Stalker wasn't one of those summer shows.. but it was intriguing too, having lots of varied/interesting/weird covers of well known songs in it..)

Still haven't been able to find one of the songs used in the ABC summer drama this year..

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
ABC will be cancelling Ten Days in The Valley as soon as they air or burn off the remaining 8 episodes. It's ratings are well, well below replacement level. It's by far the lowest rated major broadcast network show of the Fall season.
So you mean they WILL be aired? I've not watched the 2nd ep yet, but I hope they do all air. It's worth watching just for Kyra!

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
Darn, because I missed the SECOND to last episode.. I think that was the night that I had a cable outage while I was out, and I managed to somehow zone out and NOT see it on On Demand while it was available.

This show is bad, but I kept watching it!

ok, I see it's on Netflix. Even though I think it's bad, I want to see all of it.. and I record far too much, but I still intend to get netflix again for a while at some point at least to go through their exclusives that I want to see.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
I think I'm going to cancel the OP I have for Gifted (partially because as always I record way too much, and am purposely trying to nuke shows -- it'll presumably be on some streaming service some eon), but still watch the couple I have already recorded. They do seem basically like X men.. Is the legislation talked about the same one talked about in X men and other movies?

(Also, having Ra's Al Gul in both Gotham and previously on Arrow is kind of confusing.. that just means they can't be in the same universe right? I don't even remember if the dagger was on Arrow.. the revival pool thing was.)

I do think there's superhero glut, and I kind of like superhero shows.

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
ABC has cancelled Once Upon a Time: 'Once Upon a Time' to end after season 7
Gee, I gave up a few seasons ago.. I think I have a batch either downloaded or still on one of my tivos.. I liked it, but it eventually seemed like a chore..

heck, I know I even have all but ONE episode of that spinoff series too.. but since I missed one of that, I never even tried to watch it..

·
Registered
26,339 Posts
Also Taken... was ummm taken.
Bummer, this is a pretty good show.. and was on Hulu, so I could watch it at the gym.. and strangely, both this and Blindspot had new episodes on Hulu that I didn't see air.. They MAY have been bumped locally for sports, but I had checked at least one of them on epguides and didn't find the 'missing' episode listed there.

1 - 20 of 170 Posts