TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
I was seeing this before the most recent update, but what's strange is that (for me at least) it's only on certain channels and only when watching live TV. I never see the freeze when watching something recorded. I've seen other posts of people seeing similar problems on other devices, so it may be more of a YTTV problem than specifically TiVo Stream.

Reactions: Jim Leonard

·
Registered
759 Posts
I really hope they figure out something soon. YTTV is my primary tv streaming and it’s become pretty much unusable on my bedroom tv where the stream is. I’m about to the point where I’m going to have to give up on the stream and get another device for this TV.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I turned on the TV to find all my favorite apps had been removed from the toolbar. I actually got excited for a moment thinking maybe they had dropped an update. Foolish me. Tried to watch a recorded program and it was freezing every few seconds. Gave up and rebooted. Admittedly it worked a little better after that, but not much. I’m on the verge of ordering another shield and being done with it.

·
Registered
759 Posts
At this point, I'm just waiting till I see a decent sale on a Shield. I've got 2 Shield Pros, 2 Fire Sticks, and the TS4k in the house right now. The Shields of course are far and away the superior devices. The Fire Sticks are fine, but I hate the Amazon adverts, and the changes they made to the interface. Other than the YTTV issue, I really do love the Stream, but since YTTV is my primary (pretty much only) live TV/DVR service, it's all but unusable for that.

It looks like after 20 years as a loyal TiVo guy, as soon as a good coupon or sale on the Shield comes along, I will be a completely non-TiVo household. I'll just add the Stream to the stack of TiVos in my office waiting to sell or give away.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Starting tomorrow, I will no longer have any active TiVo products in my household for the first time in 20 years. I held out as long as I could, but since YouTube TV is my primary broadcast TV platform, it's become nearly unusable. I held out hope when it only seemed to be affecting Live TV on some channels, but the issue kept spreading until even my recorded programs were freezing anywhere from every few minutes to every few seconds.

I still think the Stream has the potential to be a solid product, especially if you use it where TiVo hopes you will, and get Sling. Interface is snappy, assuming you're not using heavier apps, having the semi-familiar TiVo guide was nice (but nearly worthless if you're not subbed to Sling), and the remote is still the best. In fact, I'm hoping I can pair the remote with the Shield when it arrives tomorrow.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Let us know how that goes. I briefly paired TiVo remote with CGTV and it worked but was a little flaky with some response delays and not all buttons working so didn't seem like a solid option. I'm using Shield as my primary streamer now and TS4K is in a drawer. Shield remote is not the best so TS4K remote would be great to use if it works well.
I managed to get it paired with the Shield, but it's definitely a bit flakey. Actually, it pairs rather easily, but it seems to "forget" it rather frequently. What's interesting is the first couple of times I just removed the pairing in the menu and redid it. The third time I just put the peanut back into pairing mode without doing anything else and it started working again. I may play around a bit to see if I can get it any more stable. The good thing is since I also have two Shield pros in the house, I'm used to the remote. Truth be told, the Stream is the only streaming device I've found where I like the remote. Have used Shield, Fire, Google, Roku, Apple, don't really like any of them. Of course the fact that I spent 20 years using a peanut in one form or another may have something to do with that, but I think that remote design may be the single best thing TiVo ever did.

Now to see if I can manage to sell 6 different non-lifetime sub TiVos and a Stream for anything...

Reactions: moyekj
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.