TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another heart attack. Er... angina event. That can't be good.

Brenda's ex-husband just got remarried last week.

Glad this is back, it's one of my favorite sitcoms.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
According to the parent show, George died when Sheldon was 14 and had multiple infidelities, so this is probably foreshadowing of where the show is going over the next few seasons. I think they're confirmed for 5, 6, and 7.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
What’s interesting is that they seem to be treating a flirtation as an actual infidelity in the eyes of the participants. Do they walk that kind of line? That the infidelities were exaggerated in the minds of Sheldon and his mom in the parent series? Or do they go full bore on them. The narration Sheldon says about his dad does not sound as harsh as it was in the parent series.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't be surprised if George's philandering gets ret-conned. We only know about them thru Sheldon's version in BBT. He may well "discover" that he interpreted certain situations incorrectly.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if George's philandering gets ret-conned. We only know about them thru Sheldon's version in BBT. He may well "discover" that he interpreted certain situations incorrectly.
That may be. We've already seen Sheldon's view be skewed. He is, after all, a person who does not relate well to others and hence has a pretty rule based view on human interactions. And his mother, as portrayed in BBT is a religious zealot and bigot so her view may be severe. At this point, his mom is not showing the harshly drawn viewpoints of BBT on YS. She may develop them over time. Maybe after her husband cheats (or "cheats") on her and dies. That trauma could transform an upbeat person into the more judgmental one we see "later."

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know.. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Sheldon tell Penny that the reason that he does the 3 knock thing is because he once walked in on his father and another woman having an affair? Not really sure how you can misinterpret that.

"Sheldon's knock became a part of the series early on, but an explanation for the obsessive knocking sequence eluded fans until season 10. In the episode titled, "The Hot Tub Contamination," Sheldon confides in Penny that he knocks in three series of three because of childhood trauma. He explained that he caught his father cheating on his mother because he failed to knock long enough for his father and his mistress to get their clothes on.
Sheldon went on to explain that the first three knocks are tradition, while the additional knocks are intended to give people enough time to get their pants on. He didn't say so, but it seems likely that his penchant for stating the person's name is also tied to his childhood trauma. Sheldon admitted that he never told anyone about his father's affair, and, presumably, Mary Cooper had no idea what was going on."

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
That’s easy. He interrupted the actual event before it happened. Not saying that’s what happened. Just saying how it could be different than how Sheldon saw it. Or it was not what he thought at all. Like on threes company. Just examples of how it could be different.

BTW, it is dangerous to try to use BBT for continuity. It has also been established both on YS and BBT that Sheldon cannot hold a secret.

·
LOAD"*",8,1
41,824 Posts
BBT also referenced the Cooper family being in a trailer/prefabricated home on cinder blocks (BBT 1x11 "The Pancake Batter Anomaly"). Although that reference was after Sheldon was at university in Germany, which is still a few years off in YS timeline, it still doesn't seem consistent with the portrayal on YS to have the Cooper family in a trailer home. So there are certainly some discontinuities between the two shows.

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
That may have been an inconsistency even within BBT because the house they showed Mary living in, while not the same layout as the one on YS, was not a trailer either.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Missy and Georgie certainly aged overnight!

Was it somewhere established that Mary continued to live in the same house in the period from YS to BBT? Because otherwise I see no inconsistency yet.

But most important to me in the season opener was that finally we have a Texas-appropiate cow in the bumper! (Although now it spoils the humor a little because it is quite appropriate for the family to be cautious of a longhorn steer!)

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't know.. If I'm not mistaken, didn't Sheldon tell Penny that the reason that he does the 3 knock thing is because he once walked in on his father and another woman having an affair? Not really sure how you can misinterpret that.

"Sheldon's knock became a part of the series early on, but an explanation for the obsessive knocking sequence eluded fans until season 10. In the episode titled, "The Hot Tub Contamination," Sheldon confides in Penny that he knocks in three series of three because of childhood trauma. He explained that he caught his father cheating on his mother because he failed to knock long enough for his father and his mistress to get their clothes on.
Sheldon went on to explain that the first three knocks are tradition, while the additional knocks are intended to give people enough time to get their pants on. He didn't say so, but it seems likely that his penchant for stating the person's name is also tied to his childhood trauma. Sheldon admitted that he never told anyone about his father's affair, and, presumably, Mary Cooper had no idea what was going on."
Coming from someone who wound up in ball pit during a psychotic episode.

·
Well-Known Raconteur
17,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was really obvious in tonight's episode that Raegan Revord (Missy) is becoming an adolescent. Her face is starting to change, get that angular look that teens get.

Ian Armitage still looks like a kid.

They're both the same age IRL, 13.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,588 Posts
It was really obvious in tonight's episode that Raegan Revord (Missy) is becoming an adolescent. Her face is starting to change, get that angular look that teens get.

Ian Armitage still looks like a kid.

They're both the same age IRL, 13.
That's pretty normal. Girls generally mature sooner than boys.

·
Premium Member
27,639 Posts
In the last episode when the laundry customer was complaining about her blouse that was ruined, and Connie pointed out the label that said "hang dry" (or whatever it said) and the customer said "I'm not going to let some label tell me what to do"... is it me, or was that a thinly veiled political statement about masks or vaccines in Texas?

Also, the police officer Jake at the end when posing for the money-shot of shutting down the illegal game room, gave a very familiar (to us) "thumbs up" pose with his tiny little hands. ;)

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,588 Posts
In the last episode when the laundry customer was complaining about her blouse that was ruined, and Connie pointed out the label that said "hang dry" (or whatever it said) and the customer said "I'm not going to let some label tell me what to do"... is it me, or was that a thinly veiled political statement about masks or vaccines in Texas?

Also, the police officer Jake at the end when posing for the money-shot of shutting down the illegal game room, gave a very familiar (to us) "thumbs up" pose with his tiny little hands. ;)
Yes, definitely a not very thinly-veiled reference. The lady said, "No label's gonna tell me what to do" and Connie said, "I'm not in the mood for Texas right now."

Also, don't forget that the sheriff that is Dale's friend is played by Bill Fagerbakke, who also starred with Craig T. Nelson on "Coach."

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yes, definitely a not very thinly-veiled reference. The lady said, "No label's gonna tell me what to do" and Connie said, "I'm not in the mood for Texas right now."

Also, don't forget that the sheriff that is Dale's friend is played by Bill Fagerbakke, who also starred with Craig T. Nelson on "Coach."
Would have been hilarious (to my wife and I anyway) If "Coach" was on TV in the bar and they made snide remarks at it :)

1 - 20 of 117 Posts