TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

· Well-Known Raconteur
19,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not bad. I went in thinking I would watch it out of obligatory "I'll watch any new sitcom once", but it kinda grew on me. Wife liked it too.

It's a weird tale of Dwayne "Rock" Johnson's life. I don't know how much is true or not. He is played by different actors portraying him at age 10, 15, 20. And himself, set in 2032, when he's running for President. The actors have some fun personas, and the writing is catchy.

Stick with it for thirty minutes and see if it grows on you.

NBC, Tuesdays at 8E/7C.

Young Rock - Wikipedia

· Great Odin's Raven!
5,018 Posts
Not bad. I went in thinking I would watch it out of obligatory "I'll watch any new sitcom once", but it kinda grew on me. Wife liked it too.

It's a weird tale of Dwayne "Rock" Johnson's life. I don't know how much is true or not. He is played by different actors portraying him at age 10, 15, 20. And himself, set in 2032, when he's running for President. The actors have some fun personas, and the writing is catchy.

Stick with it for thirty minutes and see if it grows on you.

NBC, Tuesdays at 8E/7C.

Young Rock - Wikipedia
Completely agree with your assessment. It was interesting and I want to see more stories from all three timelines.

I think the 10 year old timeline will be pretty cool to see the behind the scenes wrestling stuff. When I was little, I watched wrestling and I remembered every one of those wrestlers. It's a bit nostalgic for me.

I'm also really interested in the University of Miami times too. He played alongside some really good players.

· With an "L"
4,144 Posts
It's an odd ego project, but it's an interesting odd ego project. I feel that the 15-y/o storyline is the weakest and might run out of compelling content most quickly; it might help the show to drop it and focus more time to 10- and 20-y/o DJ.

· Well-Known Raconteur
19,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an odd ego project, but it's an interesting odd ego project. I feel that the 15-y/o storyline is the weakest and might run out of compelling content most quickly; it might help the show to drop it and focus more time to 10- and 20-y/o DJ.
That's how I felt. While I like The Rock, I'm no fanboy. And I went into this thinking "Why?". But it really held my interest, and I gotta admit, he really does have an engaging personality. The various age segments are a cool way to present it.

The almost meta segments with Randall Park were weird, but I found myself liking them. They keep them short, which is part of their appeal.

· Registered
12,631 Posts
Maybe I need to give it more of a chance. It left me totally cold. I didn’t find any of the characters appealing, especially the college age Rock plus it felt to me like the recent bad Disney movie about the football player at Clemson.

It’s a pilot so I will see where it goes but it started out very bad for me.

· Registered
4,261 Posts
I liked it. I've always liked him as an actor. Even if it's mostly him when he's younger, it's interesting to see what his life was like. If indeed we are seeing that. It doesn't matter anyway. It's entertaining. And Waffle was a really good character I wish they could have kept on.

· Give 'em Hell, Devils
59,396 Posts
I forgot about this show. Guess I'll check it out to see if I like the smellllllll of what the Rock is cooking.
I think you meant to say that you'll check it out to see if you can telllllll what The Rock is hungry for.

Interesting that the framing device is an interview to personalize Dwayne Johnson during his 2032 campaign for President of the United States. I wonder if he actually has ambitions of being POTUS. That would certainly be fascinating.

· Registered
4,261 Posts
I liked it alot for the individual stories. The whole "interview for president" schtick is stupid and draws out of the plot
I agree. I like Randall Park because of "Fresh Off the Boat", but that's not really why I'm watching.

The running for president makes me think of "Jack and Bobby" on The WB which had kids in the present day and realistic commentary from the distant future about the life of a man who became President of the United States. Bobby was the President but we didn't know which one it was going to me.

· Registered
4,261 Posts
I enjoyed that episode. Randall getting mad is kind of annoying when I'm so used to the perky steak house owner.

But the girl "Tomas" took to the wrestling match was an interesting character. She seemed shallow but actually enjoyed herself. Now we have to wonder if she'll defend him when they continue to insult him.

And everyone thinking "Tomas" isn't really a student.

And Dewey's mom has a new friend who is also her boss.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts