TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Yahoo! apps showing error message

12K views 54 replies 29 participants last post by  morac 
#1 ·
Update loaded last night so now "Music, Photos & More" shows Yahoo! and other apps. Problem is that Yahoo! and Browse & Buy apps show the "please wait..." screen very briefly then immediately error out with "An error occured while running the application. Could not open url." message. Other apps seem to work OK.

This is not a LAN or firewall problem. I've checked and rechecked both, did another network connection and a restart. Any thoughts or suggestions?

#2 ·
I've noticed the same error message on my DRT-800. Actually, I have two identical DRT-800 and one stand alone TiVo. Only one of the DRT-800's exhibits this behavior, the only difference being that it's connected to a HDTV.

Yahoo! Photos, Traffic, Weather, and Fandango all give the same "can't find url" error.

Live365 "shimmies" on the screen.

Podcaster and the games work fine as does the apps.tv.

Anyone have any ideas?

#3 ·
Apparently, no one else is having this problem. Lots of fiddling with firewall settings and restarting my TiVo are causing me to believe that the problem is either with the Yahoo! and Fandango server,s or that the IP address apparently hardcoded into the software is wrong or corrupted, or that the TiVo attempted the connection a couple of times and then decided to not bother to try again - and that a restart doesn't change its mind.

#8 ·
What software version gets you the upgrade to these apps? One of my machines is 7.2.1a and the other two are 7.2.1. Is there then anything else I need to do to get this or does it just show up on my main menu screen?

#10 ·
Yahoo Weather errors out.

Yahoo Traffic is fine.

Fandango is fine.

Live365 screen shimmies as well. Found that if you move the cursor to the bottom selectable element and just let it sit there.. the shimmie stops.

Strange.

J

#12 ·
nobodyuknow said:
I've got 7.2.1. The applications are in the "Music, Photos & More" menu. Apparently, the 7.2.1 software includes the applications but they're not visible until TiVo enables them for you, probably during a normal broadband network connection.
Do I need to enable the Home Networking Applications (or whatever that last selection in that section says)? Or does it just show up in the list automatically with the photos, music, Best Buy Music, and Nikon Photos?

#14 ·
I'm having the same issue. I get an error message h_t_t_p failure when trying to access Podcaster, live365, or any of the games. I tried calling Tivo tech support and after talking to three different people was told to just keep trying it again.

Anyone able to figure it out ?

#17 ·
INION said:
I've noticed the same error message on my DRT-800. Actually, I have two identical DRT-800 and one stand alone TiVo. Only one of the DRT-800's exhibits this behavior, the only difference being that it's connected to a HDTV.

Yahoo! Photos, Traffic, Weather, and Fandango all give the same "can't find url" error.

Live365 "shimmies" on the screen.

Podcaster and the games work fine as does the apps.tv.

Anyone have any ideas?
Same problem for me :(

#20 ·
onager said:
For URL Error

Go to to bottom of the list of applications.
Select the "Enable Home Network Applications"
Enter 3 hands up as instructed, followed by the enter key.
This should enable your Yahoo applications.
HME apps were already enabled. And I've disabled them and reenabled them just for fun. Same result. Thanks for the suggestion though.

#21 ·
The Yahoo!, Fandango, Live365 and other TiVo-installed apps appear on the menu whether or not HME apps are enabled. Also, the "could not open url" error message is clearly different than other network error messages. For instance, if my TiVo cannot access my home LAN (as when I physically disconnect it from the LAN) neither the HME apps nor any TiVo-installed apps even appear on the menu. If it is connected and has a temporary problem accessing one of the apps that does work (Live365, etc) there is a quite different error message (starting, I think, with an "X") displayed.

#22 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry you're having trouble. It could be something on our end, but to figure that out, I'll need some help.

If you're repeatedly getting an error that prevents you from starting an app please send me a Private Message with the following information:

Your Name
Your TSN (fifteen digit TiVo Service Number)
The date and time this happened
A list of apps that would not start up at that time
A list of apps that would start up at that time

Thanks!

Our best guess is that some of the apps use a secure connection, and that's creating an issue for some of you. But if it's not those apps, it's likely a firewall setting on your network. Either way the information will help us figure this out and get you running. :)

Thanks,
Pony

#23 ·
Private message sent. After sending it, I thought of one last issue which may have some bearing: I had been playing with Galleon for a couple of days before activation of similar apps in TiVo software. All Galleon apps worked fine. After activation of TiVo apps for a few hours both Galleon and TiVo apps were visible on menu. Galleon no longer installed on PC and apps no longer on menu.

#24 ·
OK...I have an amendment to my request for Private Messages.

If you're in one of our Beta Programs - you shouldn't be posting about your issues here in the public forum.

And you shouldn't send me a private message about your issues!

There are official ways and places for you to discuss issues...not the public forum!

The majority of PM's I received overnight were from Beta Testers. You know who you are...stop it or I'll have to sic a Beta Program Manager on you! ;)

At least the problem isn't as widespread as it seemed. :)

Thanks,
Pony

#26 ·
New apps working perfectly - almost.
I cannot get Live365 to stop playing.
I get both audio sources - the live365 music and whatever tivo is showing (live or recorded). No 'stop' function for the stream that I can find. I even unplugged my wireless adapter and when I reconnected it it restarted....

?!?!?!?!

Mozart is great, but not perfect for all soundtracks...

Anyone else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.