TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Now in Color!
2,378 Posts
beejay said:
As an experienced network administrator, you probably know the reaction you get to a complaint has a lot to do with how you present the complaint.

Or maybe you have enough people yelling at you that you just like to turn the tables sometimes?
I second that! AMEN!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I expect nothing from anyone here, didn't come here asking for help. I merely made the statement, mainly a vent that these tools at Tivo can't even get a network adapter out the door after a week or more of waiting... or can't tell me where the order I placed is or when it may show up at my door...........................

I can't control the software Tivo uses in their equipment.

I can't control the adapters that they claim will work, nor can i find one outside of Tivo direct.

So, here I am at their mercy waiting for them to get off their @ss to send me a network adapter which i ordered and paid for. Overnight shipping? I've probably ordered about 5000+ various items from a number of vendors over the years and with the exception of maybe 5-10, I've never, ever had a problem with receiving an item in the timeframe requested, most of the time, i get things overnighted or 2nd day( less damage that way witht he monkeys at UPS or FedEx) Never has it been a problem. The issue here is simple, I ordered it, paid for it, they processed it, said it was shipped the 30th and it's still not here......... When I called about it, requesting a simple tracking number, they say we don't have that... WTF is that all about? what kind of company can't give you a tracking number on an order that was processed and shipped? I've bought 100 things on eBay this year and when requested a tracking number, I had it, no prob, simple stuff, aye...

Give me a break guys, i never once insulted one of you, unless of course you've insulted me first...

next???????????????

·
Now in Color!
2,378 Posts
Pstang said:
I expect nothing from anyone here, didn't come here asking for help. I merely made the statement, mainly a vent that these tools at Tivo can't even get a network adapter out the door after a week or more of waiting... or can't tell me where the order I placed is or when it may show up at my door...........................

I can't control the software Tivo uses in their equipment.

I can't control the adapters that they claim will work, nor can i find one outside of Tivo direct.

So, here I am at their mercy waiting for them to get off their @ss to send me a network adapter which i ordered and paid for. Overnight shipping? I've probably ordered about 5000+ various items from a number of vendors over the years and with the exception of maybe 5-10, I've never, ever had a problem with receiving an item in the timeframe requested, most of the time, i get things overnighted or 2nd day( less damage that way witht he monkeys at UPS or FedEx) Never has it been a problem. The issue here is simple, I ordered it, paid for it, they processed it, said it was shipped the 30th and it's still not here......... When I called about it, requesting a simple tracking number, they say we don't have that... WTF is that all about? what kind of company can't give you a tracking number on an order that was processed and shipped? I've bought 100 things on eBay this year and when requested a tracking number, I had it, no prob, simple stuff, aye...

Give me a break guys, i never once insulted one of you, unless of course you've insulted me first...

next???????????????
Next time you decide to vent, vent that first. Let people know before you go on ranting.

And since you cant control certain aspects of TiVo, make a POLITE suggestion.

·
Ex-Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)
1,555 Posts
Pstang, sorry to hear of your problem. Please send me a PM with any pertinent identification info (case #, 15-digit TSN, contact info, etc) and I will see what I can do for you.

Please keep the PM to just the facts.

Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
dgh said:
Then your choice of venue wasn't quite right:

Perhaps, but didn't want to clutter another forum, figured this would be the place most fitting. Perhaps others have gone through the same thing, and maybe someone knew a way through the seemingly useless CS at Tivo. ?

We do actually try to help most people here.
I'm sure you do, no doubt. Maybe I came across a little abrasive to others and for that I apologize, but I've been dealing with this for over 3 weeks, only since last week directly with Tivo and their "order center" Prior to that, i've tried numerous adapters to no avail. Wasted a lot of time and figured I'd bite and go straight to the source and here I am still with no Tivo... And the folks who took my order don't have a clue about it, even with all the pertinent info.

So basically that's it in a nutshell. Hence the frustration!

Peace!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
DcTiVo1 said:
Are you just looking for banter....attention? So you don't want to get your Tivo going huh....just trolling around. Send the Tivo it back ! Buy a new Xbox I think they have a forum too.
No, not at all DC... You had it right the first time... I certainly don't have time to troll around... and I've been on the Xbox forums for numerous years, certainly not a troll...

I do want to get this thing going, if I didn't, I wouldn't put myself through the aggravation...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thanx Jerry! PM on the way. Not sure how much of the info i have here as I'm not at the other office, and everyone's gone from the lake already, but I'll see what i can dig up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The guy (Pstang) has every right to be upset. For a consumer device, Tivo networking is a major pain. Any laptop or PC is a breeze to network for most non-techies. For a Tivo, you not only have to find one of the approved adapters (i.e. ones that actually work), but you also have to get the exact firmware version. To quote Pstang, WTF!? I can't find an adapter for my Tivo service number 130 anywhere. All the ones that the Tivo website lists for my box are obsolete.

·
1,555 Posts
Looks like this has been a case of "what can go wrong, will go wrong" :( . Keep in mind that what follows is an explanation of what happened in the spirit of open communication since this situation does not reflect our standard operating procedures. I am not trying to make excuses for the level of service you received.

For starters, our vendor sent us the incorrect version (v2 instead of v1) of the Linksys USB200M adapter :down: . With the increased volume due to the holiday season, this put us into a backorder situation. The supply chain for the store was under the impression that a resupply was immediately pending, so notifications were not issued as we expected this would only last a day. Unfortunately, each day's end brought no shipment from the vendor <another :down: > .

As such, we've confirmed only earlier today that we should be restocked with this particular model by no later than Friday as a worst-case scenario, most likely sooner. The fact that this is the only supported wired adapter currently available in any stores made it impossible to send a compatible replacement (see www.tivo.com/adapters to read on how difficult it can be to discern between v1 & v2 just by looking at the packaging).

Again, I'm not trying to make any excuses as this clearly could've been handled in a more graceful manner. I'll be briefing the CS Team so they can work with the TiVo Store Team to analyze the situation and try to come up with a better procedure to deal with issues of this nature.

For your particular order, although you have been given a refund for the shipping cost, it is still scheduled to ship overnight once available.

I understand that an apology may do nothing to assuage your anger, but I offer it nevertheless.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Jerry,

I appreciate the legwork, your efforts and info here. BUT, I know, always a but... ;)

I've called twice today and have been conversing with "Adam" at corporate and nobody has relayed this info to me, until now.

I'm not limited to a wired adapter, I've even gone so far as to replace my firewall and router to accomdate this Tivo at the lake.

Either way, I just want it rectified and working, whatever it takes at this point.

Thanx again Jerry!

·
1,555 Posts
ultimate said:
The guy (Pstang) has every right to be upset. For a consumer device, Tivo networking is a major pain. Any laptop or PC is a breeze to network for most non-techies. For a Tivo, you not only have to find one of the approved adapters (i.e. ones that actually work), but you also have to get the exact firmware version. To quote Pstang, WTF!? I can't find an adapter for my Tivo service number 130 anywhere. All the ones that the Tivo website lists for my box are obsolete.
Any laptop or PC also has a CD tray to easily load the drivers onto the computer (PC or Mac) if you don't already have it. For a linux-based machine with no drive bay, this is not so easy. In the case of the USB200M v2, it's my understanding that there are no linux drivers even built for that adapter (but Linksys may be working on that issue) and we were not notified of any changes until someone on the forums reported it (we went into overdrive to investigate and found we can't do anything until Linksys does their part).

Bottom line: comparing a DVR to a PC for this is the classic comparison of apples and oranges.

Could we have come up with a more elegant solution? Sure, if there were no deadlines or pressures to release something useful when we did. Now we have to try and refine it to a more workable solution under the confines of the existing structure.

If we're on the bleeding edge of technology, we'd be in a very precarious position.
If we wait too long (and boy-howdy do interpretations for "too long" vary immensely, particularly amongst early adopters) to join in on a new trend, we get slammed by...well, everyone (at least it feels that way when you're on the receiving end). Pretty hard to pull a "win/win" outta that when we're damned if we do and damned if we don't!

<I hope this doesn't qualify as a rant... :D >

·
1,555 Posts
Pstang said:
Jerry,

I appreciate the legwork, your efforts and info here. BUT, I know, always a but... ;)

I've called twice today and have been conversing with "Adam" at corporate and nobody has relayed this info to me, until now.

I'm not limited to a wired adapter, I've even gone so far as to replace my firewall and router to accomdate this Tivo at the lake.

Either way, I just want it rectified and working, whatever it takes at this point.

Thanx again Jerry!
Been working on that last post so long that this one snuck in on me.

I talked to Adam before working up the ladder. I had to use a few jedi mind tricks to get this information, as well as sacrifice a few bothans.....but all in a day's work.

Glad to help,
Jerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
TivoJerry, thanks for the reply.

TiVoJerry said:
Bottom line: comparing a DVR to a PC for this is the classic comparison of apples and oranges.
Bottom line, Tivo is a consumer device, so I look at it from the consumer perspective. Tivo touts all kinds of nifty things you can do with the box (photos, music, TivoToGo, remote scheduling, Yahoo integration, etc.), yet when you try it, you find that you have to jump through hoops that are quite daunting for a non-techie person. The consumer is all but guaranteed to be disappointed. Yes, an engineer knows that a DVR is not like a PC, but tell that to a consumer who bought a device expecting it to actually do all the things it's advertised to do. It's my fault for not knowing how to decipher the firmware version number on the network adapter packaging? I am ignorant for not understanding Linux internals and driver issues? I shouldn't complain that the only adapters listed as working with my box (service number 130) don't even exist in the marketplace?

Oh well. I am not going to toss out my Tivo, but I would hope for a more reasonable solution from the company to make networking less of a hassle.

·
1,555 Posts
ultimate said:
I shouldn't complain that the only adapters listed as working with my box (service number 130) don't even exist in the marketplace?

Oh well. I am not going to toss out my Tivo, but I would hope for a more reasonable solution from the company to make networking less of a hassle.
We're definitely working on trying to improve the adapter situation, something hard to do in a world of technology with ever-constant changes (can't we all just get along and stick to one set of unified protocols!?!?). We hope to have a better wireless solution available in the very near future that will even work with the old 130 platform!

As always, we realize that units with older SW are still out there on the shelves and will be for some time to come, which will always cause grief for those required to upgrade before being able to use a newer version of an adapter. Each month we even notice a few BRAND NEW series 1 units popping up on the server for the first time ever!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm gonna go a little off-topic here. First, when I got my TiVo originally, I was unhappy with it. 802.11g was't supported, and doing setup required a phone (and I only have a cel phone.) I initially complained a lot, and people flamed me. I understand the frustration the OP has. But secondly, I was able to get it done, and get it to go wireless using 802.11b - because I know how to figure things out. When the 7.2 software came out, I took it to 802.11g with no worries, using an adapter that is "on the list:" but not supported.

As he is a "10 year network admin", one would think he could figure out a way "outside the box" to get it accomplished. Tat isn't the case, apparently. :rolleyes: I too work in IT - security is my main focus, but I do a lot more. I see lots of people say "I've been in IT/networks/etc. for X years, I know what I'm doing". WRONG. Just because you've been doing it for X years (be it 5, 10, 25 whatever) doesn't mean you know what you're doing. It just means you've had a job that long. :cool: And after working for "10 years", one would think you'd learn how to actually figure things out, or how to seek assistance. Again, apparently not.

Regardless, TiVoJerry appears to have the situation under control. The OP will be getting an adapter that he can plug in and get working with little or no effor on his part (other than complaining) and that will be that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
HotStuff2 said:
I'm gonna go a little off-topic here. First, when I got my TiVo originally, I was unhappy with it. 802.11g was't supported, and doing setup required a phone (and I only have a cel phone.) I initially complained a lot, and people flamed me. I understand the frustration the OP has. But secondly, I was able to get it done, and get it to go wireless using 802.11b - because I know how to figure things out. When the 7.2 software came out, I took it to 802.11g with no worries, using an adapter that is "on the list:" but not supported.

As he is a "10 year network admin", one would think he could figure out a way "outside the box" to get it accomplished. Tat isn't the case, apparently. :rolleyes: I too work in IT - security is my main focus, but I do a lot more. I see lots of people say "I've been in IT/networks/etc. for X years, I know what I'm doing". WRONG. Just because you've been doing it for X years (be it 5, 10, 25 whatever) doesn't mean you know what you're doing. It just means you've had a job that long. :cool: And after working for "10 years", one would think you'd learn how to actually figure things out, or how to seek assistance. Again, apparently not.

Regardless, TiVoJerry appears to have the situation under control. The OP will be getting an adapter that he can plug in and get working with little or no effor on his part (other than complaining) and that will be that.
I'm not even gonna reply cept with... I can't force a piece of hardware to accept a device that's not supported nor have a way to install drivers... nuf said... and it's not just a job i've had, trust me...

21 - 40 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.