TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a thrift and low & behold there sat a R10 looking for a new home and it even had an access card in it! I hardly ever see any DVRs of any kind in the thrifts, much less DTivos.

I didn't write down the numbers to check for billing issues but I suppose I should have.

I'm divided. I have an R10 and my only real complaint is that it isn't as "upgradeable" as other DTivos. But then I hear 6.3 kinda ended the MRV "upgrade" anyway.

The store's practice is store credit for defective electronics so I would at least have that. No idea as to the hard drive status. BTW are the HDs swappable without any modification? Would anything happen? Might be worth $20 just to have a backup HD already imaged!

Any thoughts?

·
Lost in Big Bend
1,512 Posts
I wouldn't take a free R10, as I like the zipper features that can be added to any other Series 2 DTivo unit. Now, if that was a DVR40 for $20, I'd snap it up.

·
PR#6
5,443 Posts
Dkerr24 said:
I wouldn't take a free R10, as I like the zipper features that can be added to any other Series 2 DTivo unit. Now, if that was a DVR40 for $20, I'd snap it up.
Just PROM mod it and you can do whatever you want (MRV, TivoWeb, etc.).

Yes, it's not as "handholding" as running the zipper, but still worth it on a $20 unit.

·
Lost in Big Bend
1,512 Posts
Not sure if I'd bother if it only had a 40gb hard drive. I can't imagine being limited to only 35 hours of recording time.

·
Tech-no Guide
261 Posts
It's not a hackable unit but at least you don't have to format your data every other month like the R15. Most of those subscribers cried when their R10 died and Directv sent them an R15. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.