TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look for a switch in your VPN on the phone that changes the VPN from split tunnel to full tunnel. Your VPN may not have this switch. By default the VPN on your phone is most likely split tunnel. This means your phone will connect to resources on your home network via the VPN. For everything else, it will go directly to whatever the site is on the internet. You want the VPN to be full tunnel. You want all of the traffic coming from your phone to traverse the VPN as encrypted traffic first, and then use your home router as a gateway to the internet in plain. If there is not such a switch in your VPN, then it's not trivial to set this up as others have said.

I did this with a TiVo years ago to get guide data. The configuration to do this involved two firewall configs, two VPN configs, and a custom DHCP setup. I had 100% fine degree control over every piece of equipment involved in the packet routing. It was nothing near simple and to get it going I had to engage the help of a work colleague who built a nationwide ISP backbone. But in my case, I had complete control over a whole bunch of stuff that you don't have control over.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts