TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
wait.. I did what?
15,335 Posts
There are rare folks who have managed complicated VPN setups that make it appear that you're on the same network by splitting subnets and passing protocols, but the fact is you're trying to do something that wasn't easy to start with.
Supposedly in the slingbox thread there are some homebrew options.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,335 Posts
Who has made this work, i'm curious what the VPN setup is b/c I can make the adjustments if I know exactly what needs to be done on the client side app on my phone. Thanks
If that's your skill set, the discussion I've seen in the past is probably not something that easy.
I'd search for topics on VPN, remote location, second home, etc, since the issue has never been something I care about I never noted anything more than people were discussing it.

Homebrew slingbox might be worth researching, but once again, it's a niche use on a niche product, in a niche scenario.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,335 Posts
My router has both Layer 2 VPN as well as Layer 3. What i need help with is the configuration on the client side that made it work. Also playing with the VPN client on the phone, i'm not convinced the Tivo app itself does not have a hook for detecting wifi. So even with a VPN alone it might not satisfy the app.
It's sounding like you want a plug and play solution with instructions, but unfortunately that doesn't exist.
You're going to need to have both sides of the VPN appear to be the same network, and you're going to have to allow non-standard protocols routed between them, that will require familiarity with networks and routes.
This is not easy and there have only been a handful of times I've seen anyone attempt it in the forum posts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts