TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Slingbox sun setting soon their servers the ability to stream what i pay for monthly out of the house is getting more difficult.

I tried VPN and it made no difference, was hoping the app would think I'm on the local LAN, not sure if it is checking for some wifi flag but it is quite irritating as everything not local is flagged with copyright.

Has anyone found a work around to this using different VPN options or another app?

·
wait.. I did what?
15,328 Posts
There are rare folks who have managed complicated VPN setups that make it appear that you're on the same network by splitting subnets and passing protocols, but the fact is you're trying to do something that wasn't easy to start with.
Supposedly in the slingbox thread there are some homebrew options.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,328 Posts
Who has made this work, i'm curious what the VPN setup is b/c I can make the adjustments if I know exactly what needs to be done on the client side app on my phone. Thanks
If that's your skill set, the discussion I've seen in the past is probably not something that easy.
I'd search for topics on VPN, remote location, second home, etc, since the issue has never been something I care about I never noted anything more than people were discussing it.

Homebrew slingbox might be worth researching, but once again, it's a niche use on a niche product, in a niche scenario.

·
Registered
352 Posts
really no work around?
To make this work you are likely going to have to use what is called a layer 2 VPN. Many (although not all) consumer routers allow one to create a L2VPN server, sometimes called a bridge, or tap, but doing so may not be well documented, nor how to setup clients to connect. The first thing to check is whether your router supports such a vpn server, and then try to follow your manufacturers instructions to enable/use it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My router has both Layer 2 VPN as well as Layer 3. What i need help with is the configuration on the client side that made it work. Also playing with the VPN client on the phone, i'm not convinced the Tivo app itself does not have a hook for detecting wifi. So even with a VPN alone it might not satisfy the app.

·
wait.. I did what?
15,328 Posts
My router has both Layer 2 VPN as well as Layer 3. What i need help with is the configuration on the client side that made it work. Also playing with the VPN client on the phone, i'm not convinced the Tivo app itself does not have a hook for detecting wifi. So even with a VPN alone it might not satisfy the app.
It's sounding like you want a plug and play solution with instructions, but unfortunately that doesn't exist.
You're going to need to have both sides of the VPN appear to be the same network, and you're going to have to allow non-standard protocols routed between them, that will require familiarity with networks and routes.
This is not easy and there have only been a handful of times I've seen anyone attempt it in the forum posts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Look for a switch in your VPN on the phone that changes the VPN from split tunnel to full tunnel. Your VPN may not have this switch. By default the VPN on your phone is most likely split tunnel. This means your phone will connect to resources on your home network via the VPN. For everything else, it will go directly to whatever the site is on the internet. You want the VPN to be full tunnel. You want all of the traffic coming from your phone to traverse the VPN as encrypted traffic first, and then use your home router as a gateway to the internet in plain. If there is not such a switch in your VPN, then it's not trivial to set this up as others have said.

I did this with a TiVo years ago to get guide data. The configuration to do this involved two firewall configs, two VPN configs, and a custom DHCP setup. I had 100% fine degree control over every piece of equipment involved in the packet routing. It was nothing near simple and to get it going I had to engage the help of a work colleague who built a nationwide ISP backbone. But in my case, I had complete control over a whole bunch of stuff that you don't have control over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts