TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm playing wordsmith (yes that's what i'm doing on a saturday afternoon, just procrastinating) and i have the following letters remaining

t o v u i
a

guess what i tried to make out of this that wordsmith says is NOT a word. what's up with that? :)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Thats ok, I have found out that canada, canadian,american are not words either, and had they been accepted, I would have left only 1 letter (Q twice and Z)

I like wordsmith though.

·
Custom User Title
2,263 Posts
Sometimes, I get set up for huge words, but wordsmith does not take it. What type of dictionary is wordsmith on?

·
Funkadelic
4,705 Posts
Many Scrabble-type dictionaries don't count anything that could beginwith a capital letter such as states, countries, companies, names, etc.

I tried Wordsmith but given the amount of letters and the slowness of the UI, I'll pass in favor of the HME Boggle game. A new word game, Word Droppings, has been added to apps.tv if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i was pretty sure it wasn't going to work since obviously it's not using a dictionary created specifically for Tivo and it doesn't seem to accept any proper nouns. i just got a chuckle out of the irony of it.

fun game though.

·
Contra sceleris
3,306 Posts
Unlike "xerox", which dictionaries recognize as a verb as well as a proper noun, Tivo's only known dictionary entry currently is in Webster's New Millennium Dictionary of English, Preview Edition (v 0.9.6).

Although the entry has a Usage note that it is sometimes used as a verb, the verb meaning is not recognized with its own entry and so by Scrabble rules, even if you agreed the authority was this New Millenium edition or www.dictionary.com, it would not be legal to enter Tivo as a word.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TiVoOpsMgr said:
Since TiVo is a proper noun, it seems like proper behavior to me! "Not a bug." :)
You're post is the first in this thread in which the word "bug" appeared. :)

IT WAS JUST A FUNNY THOUGHT (or at least i thought it was. "...well then what am i playing this game on???"...).

·
Navy Nuke
50 Posts
TiVoOpsMgr said:
Sorry! Usually when people ask us "what's up with that?" they want us to fix something. I did think it was a funny thought, but I also did want to let you know that it's correct behavior.

Here's a few of these: :) :) :) :)
You jumped on the defensive quick hehe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TiVoOpsMgr said:
Sorry! Usually when people ask us "what's up with that?" they want us to fix something. I did think it was a funny thought, but I also did want to let you know that it's correct behavior.

Here's a few of these: :) :) :) :)
it's all good. i write software so i know what it's like to have someone tell you something's broken when it's actually doing exactly what it's supposed to do (and exactly what they told you they wanted it to do)

i heart Tivo

·
Registered
86 Posts
Used "SQUAWKING" in a game the other day.
Worth over 200 points.

A lot of high scoring words don't have to start Q or Z !

"STARGAZING" was another good one.

I think this game is all about getting your Q'S and Z's in
as long a word as possible. Add in a J or X for fun.

I have yet to get "QUADPLEXES". That would be close to 300.

I managed to get "CAZIQUES" a couple of times.
That word is pretty well known in the Scrabble community for
a possible high word score.

I was playing the game for a long time thinking that 10 letters
was the maximum. It just did not recognize my word.
I played a few 11-letters since then but not great scorers.

·
Wizard of Oz
796 Posts
Wouldn't it be great if the game gave an bonus for clearing the entire screen -- or allowed you to continue with a fresh board to add to your score tally? Just seems like there should be some reward for being clver enough to use up all the letters.

Great Addictive Game !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.