TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not So Notable Member
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is today's (1/11/06) WOOT a good deal for upgrading Tivos?

$49 + $5 S&H

250GB
7200 RPM
2 MB cache
EIDE
Does not include installation instructions or an IDE cable.
Ultra ATA/100 – Up to 100 MB/s burst transfer rates.
Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) technology – improves hard drive reliability; reduces heat, vibration, and noise.
Shock Guard provides outstanding improvements in shock and vibration protection for WD Caviar drives. Shock Guard allows instantaneous data protection at high shock values to achieve leading shock
We'll do our best to improve the packing job, but it really will still come in a crappy box.

System Requirements:

IDE-ATA interface (40-pin connector)
Ultra ATA-capable system

http://www.woot.com/

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
They only give a 6 month warranty and a new WD has 3 years. Since the Tivo drive is always on I would be a bit leary. I picked up an Hitachi 250GB for $60 with rebates at CompUSA not too long ago (brand new with 3 year warranty).

·
Registered
832 Posts
They only give a 6 month warranty and a new WD has 3 years.
WD retail drives only have a 1-year warranty. They come with a coupon inside that allows you to upgrade the warranty to three years for $14.95. WD Raptor drives are the only retail kits that have a standard warranty longer than a year (they have a 5-year warranty).

In my experience, the refurbed WD drives have as good a chance at surviving life in a Tivo as a new one does. Most refurbed drives are customer returns or OEM pulls that can't be resold as new so they're low-level formatted and repackaged.

·
Tivo is Life.
57 Posts
captain_video said:
WD retail drives only have a 1-year warranty. They come with a coupon inside that allows you to upgrade the warranty to three years for $14.95. WD Raptor drives are the only retail kits that have a standard warranty longer than a year (they have a 5-year warranty).

In my experience, the refurbed WD drives have as good a chance at surviving life in a Tivo as a new one does. Most refurbed drives are customer returns or OEM pulls that can't be resold as new so they're low-level formatted and repackaged.
WD drives are not the only drives that that carry extended warranties. I just purchased a Seagate drive (retail kit) that carries a 5 year warranty by default.

·
Registered
506 Posts
captain_video said:
WD retail drives only have a 1-year warranty.
If you buy an OEM WD HD from a computer store or online (Newegg, Zipzoomfly, etc), you'll get a 3 year Warr'ty. That's what I did in my WD 320Gb.

·
Not So Notable Member
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sholleran said:
http://www.slickdeals.net/#p6945

Outpost.com

Hitachi 250GB UATA100 8MB Buffer Hard Drive - Retail Hard Drive Kit
$60.00 Rebate

Boxed Hard Drives Kits
Capacity: 250GB
Seek Time: 8.5ms
7200RPM
8MB Buffer
3 Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty
Limit 1 per customer per household
I can't find this drive at Outpost.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.