TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or neither? :D

I'm getting ready to order Firefly, and it looks like I can get an extra $10 off if I order another box set....looking at their selections, the only two I am considering are Wonderfalls (never seen) and Arrested Development (have seen). (If I don't buy either set, then I save an additional $14. :rolleyes: )

I did a search for Wonderfalls, and found a bunch of "I can't believe this show was cancelled" posts, but I couldn't figure out whether or not this would be a show that I want to watch. It does not seem to be as universally revered as Firefly. :p

As much as I like Arrested Development, I have never rewatched an episode, although I think I might rewatch a DVD. Do the episodes play all at once or do you return to the menu at the end of each one? That could be a deciding factor. :)

Thanks!

--Katie

·
Enlightened
7,696 Posts
sakura panda said:
...or neither? :D

I'm getting ready to order Firefly, and it looks like I can get an extra $10 off if I order another box set....looking at their selections, the only two I am considering are Wonderfalls (never seen) and Arrested Development (have seen). (If I don't buy either set, then I save an additional $14. :rolleyes: )

I did a search for Wonderfalls, and found a bunch of "I can't believe this show was cancelled" posts, but I couldn't figure out whether or not this would be a show that I want to watch. It does not seem to be as universally revered as Firefly. :p

As much as I like Arrested Development, I have never rewatched an episode, although I think I might rewatch a DVD. Do the episodes play all at once or do you return to the menu at the end of each one? That could be a deciding factor. :)

Thanks!

--Katie
You can play them all at once (well, all the episodes on each individual disc, anyway).

To answer your question, I like each of these shows even better than Firefly, and I like Firefly alot. You can't go wrong with either.

Actually, I suppose that doesn't answer your question at all, does it?

·
Registered
20,816 Posts
Both are awesome. Both should be in your collection.

Don't let rewatching be a consideration. At least in my case, I've found rewatches sometimes occur entirely out of the blue 1 or 2 years later. And there's what I want to see, at my fingertips ready to play. That's the beauty of affordable media archiving.

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
60,914 Posts
Definitely Arrested Development. I saw the first couple of eps of Wonderfalls and was only mildly impressed. AD, on the other hand, is one of the most inventive, creative comedies in history. It screams to be rewatched over and over in order to catch all the imbedded jokes. No question in my mind.

·
Save the Moderatоr
57,198 Posts
I'd get Wonderfalls.

There's 3 seasons of Arrested Development to watch, and it's technically not canceled yet so there may be more. You'd feel obligated to watch everything if you liked it.

·
Tell me a joke
7,114 Posts
I love Wonderfalls but you could just Tivo them and save yourself the money.

·
Thrice as nice
10,810 Posts
If you can't get Wonderfalls on TV, that's the one I'd go for since it's a complete series. It's a great series...a lot of fun. Arrested you would probably want to see all the seasons and that's going to cost you more than the savings with the coupon ;)

·
a rkester says what?
14,221 Posts
I enjoyed Wonderfalls alot! But like said above its on LOGO now, so tivo a few eps to check it out. Its not for everyone.

AD is also not for everyone. I myself dislike it and wish I didnt because it seems like a real fun show.

·
Unregistered User
2,540 Posts
I can re-watch Arrested Development a lot, but I'm not sure I would re-watch Wonderfalls. So my vote would go to Arrested Development.

·
TakoKichi
14,339 Posts
We LOVED Winderfalls even more after watching the DVD. The characters really grew on you. We were left wanting MORE at the end of the set. This is a great series to watch may eps at once.

BIH Fox!

PS> We also have the AD seasons 1 & 2 on DVD. We love these as well, but in a different way. There is a little more dimension/depth to Wonderfalls.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dswallow said:
I'd get Wonderfalls.

There's 3 seasons of Arrested Development to watch, and it's technically not canceled yet so there may be more. You'd feel obligated to watch everything if you liked it.
I [have watched / am watching] Arrested Development and I really like it; but if Wonderfalls is half as good as the dozen people here say it is, then maybe that would be worth the risk. :D

That's why there isn't a poll -- I'm hoping to be convinced rather than going with the majority vote.

--Katie

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I was heartbroken when Wonderfalls was cancelled. I agree with most of the country, as opposed to those on this forum, who think AD was pretty pedestrian. Of course, I think The Office is extremely unfunny also. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
aadam101 said:
I love Wonderfalls but you could just Tivo them and save yourself the money.
It sounds good in theory, but I tried that with Firefly, and I didn't get all of them, and then I needed the TiVo space for shows that aren't available for cheap on DVD. :D

I am buying Firefly -- I can save $10 on a second box, which means whichever I chose will only be an extra $14. Or, I could save $14 and not get either. :rolleyes:

--Katie

·
Registered
877 Posts
I think AD benefits GREATLY from multiple viewings. There's so many great jokes you may miss the first time around. I.E., if you didn't laugh at Lindsey "exercising," then you weren't paying close enough attention. :)

·
Sci-Fi Junkie
38,593 Posts
I enjoyed them both. Wonderfalls was a wonderfully quirky show. Since you haven't seen it, I would say get it. I have seen AR pretty cheap on Black Friday (that's how I got it) but not WF (which I bought the day it was released). Firefly is a great choice as well.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advice. :D I've decided to go ahead and order Wonderfalls when I order Firefly and take advantage of the $10 off two box sets deal. I checked my listings and I can't find Wonderfalls scheduled anywhere, so I might as well get the one that isn't on the air right now. :cool:

--Katie

1 - 20 of 37 Posts