TiVo Community Forum banner

Will you buy a Series 3 or THD now that TTG/MRV has been announced?

• Yes - I have one S3/THD box and was waiting for MRV/TTG

Votes: 89 45.9%
  • Yes - this will be my first S3/THD box

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Yes, though I already have more than 1 S3/THD box

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • No - one box is enough for me

Votes: 42 21.6%
  • No - I have no plans to buy a Series 3 platform box (S3/THD)

Votes: 6 3.1%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Seasoned gas passer
12,205 Posts
I voted no; I'm a bit concerned Pony wasn't specific about transferring between two S3s. I know we're assuming we can, but I'd like to hear it from the "horse's (Pony's)" mouth.

· Seasoned gas passer
12,205 Posts
PopcornGuy said:
"These features will provide support for video transfers between Series3 & Series2 systems and between a Series3/Series2 system and a PC. High Definition content will not be supported for transfer or playback on a Series2 system"

This says it all. A series 3 can transfer anything not copyprotected to a series 3. A series 3 can only transfer non-HD to a series 2.
No it doesn't say it all. It says (the way I read it) that you can transfer between an S3 and S2 and between a PC and an S3 or S2. Nowhere does it specifically say you can transfer between an S3 and an S3.

Now if by saying "...video transfers between Series3 & Series2 systems..." that means transfers such as S3 <-----> S2, S2 <----> S3, S2 <----> S2, and S3 <----> S3, then, yes, it does. I just want them to be more specific.

· Seasoned gas passer
12,205 Posts
Pony answered my question in his original thread...(emphasis is mine)...

TiVoPony said:
HD content cannot be transferred to a Series2. And there is no transcoding ability to convert HD to SD (these are consumer electronic devices, not beefy multi-core PC's). So the answer is no. If it's recorded in HD on a Series3 or TiVoHD, then it can be shared between those platforms, but not with a Series2.

And when I say 'can be shared between those platforms', it of course comes with any caveats the copyright owner dictates regarding sharing.

Pony

· Seasoned gas passer
12,205 Posts
TiVoPony said:
Gosh, that's an interpretation I hadn't considered.

Of course we allow transfers between Series3 systems. Between a Series3 and a TiVoHD, between two TiVoHD's, between two Series3's, from a Series3 to a TiVoHD, from a TiVoHD to a Series3, etc etc etc.

All the permutations work. With the caveats - No HD content transfers to a Series2, and no copy protected content may be transferred.

Pony
Sorry, Pony. I am a writer/proofreader by trade, so it's an occupational hazard :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.