TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Forum Denizen
2,620 Posts
StuffOfInterest said:
Does anyone see any major holes in this idea?
Nope, I do it now.
I use the older Belkin 54g routers that had a bridge mode built into them. They also supported WDS so the TiVo at the far end of the house is serviced by the bridge in the middle of the house instead of the weak signal from the more distant router near the DSL modem. Unfortunately Belkin's newer version routers dropped this capability. I believe there is a Linksys router that can be upgraded with third party software to give you just this kind of behavior now. Check in the Home media features forum for details.

If you have multiple devices in the family room, then one router, used as a bridge can be cheaper than 3 wireless adapters, so it is a good way to go in that respect also.

Good luck,

CuriousMark

edit - I think the upgradeable wireless router is the WRT54GS (please correct me if wrong)

·
Forum Denizen
2,620 Posts
c3 said:
Many people here have been using the Belkin 54G routers as wireless bridges for a looong time. Factory firmware supports WDS with WPA -- no hacks. All 5 ports (4 LAN and 1 WAN) can be used for bridging.
Belkin took the feature out of their latest versions. If it only has one antenna, it doesn't have WDS.

·
Forum Denizen
2,620 Posts
c3 said:
Correct. The F5D7230-4 versions 1xxx 2xxx 3xxx have WDS. I have 6 of those. F5D7231-4 works as well, but I'm not sure about the version numbers.
My F5D7231-4 version 1213 has WDS support. I have three 7230-4s with 1xxx and 2xxx version numbers and they all play happily together with the 7231-4 in WDS mode. I use the 7231-4 as my main wireless router. All the 7230-4s are operating in bridge mode with only one of them accepting wireless connections from non-routing devices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.