TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I do this kind of thing all the time with Buffalo routers and dd-wrt. The stock firmware on most routers doesn't provide WDS. And those that do usually don't play well with others. You're probably fine if you get 2 devices that can do WDS from the same manufacturer, but mixing brands often breaks things.

Another option with dd-wrt is client bridge mode. Which works more like what you seem to want. The second router (the client bridge) connects to the main router over wireless and bridges the LAN ports over the wireless link. The nice thing about this setup is that you don't need any special software on the base wireless router. The client bridge device looks like any other wireless client to the main router. So if you already have one router that can't do dd-wrt, this is a good way to go.

Be very cautious buying hardware. Most routers do NOT have bridging capability and even fewer will talk with another brand device. For an out of the box setup, Buffalo has a "Ethernet Converter" that will work with their routers doing exactly what you want. You need all Buffalo equipment to do this though.

·
Registered
868 Posts
For those that have the Buffalo converters, don't get rid of them. They work great with DD-WRT. I think you need to use the beta version, but I've been running them for months without any trouble at all. So if you're willing to install a third party firmware, you should be able to re-use them that way.

Belkin having WDS/WPA deserves a big thank you to them. It's irritating as hell that something easily done isn't being supported by everyone. Even better would be a cross-vendor standard, but I guess DD-WRT and others get that job done.

·
Registered
868 Posts
MickeS said:
No, I don't see anything about the WLI there either...

kb7sei, did you mean the WLI, or something else?
The WLI. It DOES work.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2584&highlight=buffalo+wlitx4

There is a link to a thread where they talk about it. I downloaded the version I'm using from that thread. The filename is dd-wrt.std.v24-5814.bin and it's in the second page.

Again, only bother if you already have one and want to get more out of it. If you are buying new, just get the cheaper WHR-G54 routers.

·
Registered
868 Posts
MickeS said:
Just wanted to thank you again for that tip!

I just installed DD-WRT onto my WLI-TX4-G54HP bridge, and now music and photos in Galleon works perfectly again!
I'm glad it worked for you! I think it's a great way to get more out of those boxes once you realize you should have been using a different firmware the whole time. :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
bigusmfan said:
Thanks. I was going to try that tonight when I got home anyway.

Another question. If I decide to do mac filtering (I already run WPA and ZoneAlarm), will there be any problems? I would assume that I need to enter the MAC addresses on each router, correct?
Don't bother. MAC filtering is worthless as they can be cloned. If someone breaks your WPA encryption (not likely) MAC filtering will last about 2 seconds against them, on a good day. It's a pain in the butt to keep updated and doesn't help security.

If you really must do it anyway, you need to enter the MAC addresses for every wireless device into every router/AP they might connect to.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Scott in CO said:
I've been using an extra Linksys router with dd-wrt with a DirecTivo and it works great. The added benefit is that dd-wrt now supports Repeater and Repeater Bridge mode. Not only do the up-to-four devices you plug in the back get access (like in a client bridge), but the router acts as a repeater of the wireless signal. This has significantly improved my wifi access on the lower level of my house. Where before the connection was spotty, I now have zero problems connecting with wifi.

Several folks have mentioned using WDS, but I've read that WDS actually reduces your throughput; I don't think it's duplex. Repeater mode does not have any loss of throughput.
WDS and repeater mode are going to have the same problems with speed (though repeater might be a little more efficient). Your radio can't transmit and receive at the same time. At least I'm not aware of wifi equipment that can. It's possible to build stuff that can, but consumer gear is unlikely to do it. So if you connect wirelessly with your upstream connection you are going to be doing a store and forward type link. That's going to cut your available bandwidth in half. I use WDS for linking bridges and internet access, which isn't going to top out the about 10Mbps of real speed available anyway so it doesn't matter. This problem doesn't affect wired clients connected to the router running WDS/repeater/client-bridge because the wired clients don't need the wireless channel, so it can be dedicated to the remote link.

That kind of thing is why I have cat-5 all over my house now. No worries with all that crap. I still use a WDS link to handle internet access as I haven't moved my internet service to the new house yet. I used WDS so I can connect my laptop to it for internet access. It takes the speed hit in that case, but it doesn't matter since my internet connection is lower than I can get over the WDS link anyway. If I need better wireless coverage, I'll link them with cat-5 and use the same SSID to get better coverage. And I'll probably need a special one for the Wii and DS as I won't run my main network on WEP.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=68&start=90&sid=9bd56b62c8aafef2287e151d41978c8e

Scroll down a bit and read the post by wayland. If you need more bandwidth than that, you need to use 2 routers at the repeater area linked with a cable on different channels (I've done this, it works) or run a cable to the second AP. If you try to use the same wireless channel you will lose about 50% of your speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.