TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Or just use a wireless bridge instead of the second router. That's what they're designed for.

I currently use a wireless bridge on my PC, and just bought another one to use with the Series 3 and Series 2 TiVos.

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
stevereis said:
I can confirm the above. I actually had the Buffalo bridge mentioned in the thread and, while it worked for the normal network traffic - TiVo getting guide updates, Yahoo HME apps, etc. - it DID NOT work for the Java Apps, including the Blockbuster third-party app or for the HD-Photos app in desktop 2.4.
Really... Hmmm... I'm getting one today. I will see how it works out. Why would it not work with those apps?

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
stevereis said:
Here is the thread I started in the Home Media & TTG section titled: Buffalo Conveter = no HME apps?
I have no idea why, but it seems to be a common problem. Stu_Bee posted a link to another forum where folks were having similar issues. He also avised using the router and dd-wrt.
I installed it earlier, but I have not tried the apps you mention. I did however try the "Same Game" and that worked fine.

I've never used much else, so I might be OK anyway.

I'm going to try the Unbox application right now.

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
stevereis said:
All the regular HME stuff works fine. It was just the Java enabled stuff that did not show up. If you do not need them, then the Buffalo bridge is fine.
I really wanted HD photos on my S3 and big DLP so had to do something else to get that.
Well, crap...

I run Galleon for music and photos (mostly for the music app), and that is Java based - it does NOT work with this bridge, I just found out. :(

However, the TiVo "ToGo" and "GoBack" both work with it. Go figure.

Also, Unbox worked fine.

I can't get TiVo Desktop to run reliably on my PC, so I've been using Galleon. I guess I will have to either get two TiVo Wireless adapters, or some other bridge/router...
fortunately, I can still use this one elsewhere.

:(

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
kb7sei said:
For those that have the Buffalo converters, don't get rid of them. They work great with DD-WRT. I think you need to use the beta version, but I've been running them for months without any trouble at all. So if you're willing to install a third party firmware, you should be able to re-use them that way.
I don't know what dd-wrt is, but looking at their site, it's a little hard to find out what I need to download.

I have the Buffalo "ethernet converter". Which dd-wrt firmware should I install?

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
Stu_Bee said:
You should probably state your model number, as some sales sites refer to the Buffalo Ethernet Converter for various models.

The Buffalo model that seemed to have an issue was :WLI-TX4-G54HP
The Buffalo model that works fine as a bridge with DD-WRT: Buffalo WHR-G54S

The thread that Stefereis posted earlier has more info.

Edit: here are the supported Routers for DD-WRT:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

I don't see the WLI listed.
No, I don't see anything about the WLI there either...

kb7sei, did you mean the WLI, or something else?

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
kb7sei said:
The WLI. It DOES work.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2584&highlight=buffalo+wlitx4

There is a link to a thread where they talk about it. I downloaded the version I'm using from that thread. The filename is dd-wrt.std.v24-5814.bin and it's in the second page.

Again, only bother if you already have one and want to get more out of it. If you are buying new, just get the cheaper WHR-G54 routers.
Thanks!

I already bought one, and don't want to deal with returning it....

I will try it out, if it doesn't work I will try and get the router.

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
mattack said:
You're talking about this, right:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NOYMO8
??

So this won't connect to a Netgear router? (I forget which one I have.)

If I really can use another wireless router instead of getting this expensive 'ethernet
converter', that would be great. I'm really just trying to connect my S3 (and maybe my S1(s), if I end up buying the ethernet adapters for them), and cancel the phone line.
Like I wrote above, that one works great for me, except for the Java-based Galleon applications for music and photos (ToGo and GoBack works great though!) I use a D-Link router.

I don't know why it gives me trouble with the music and photos apps, but the regular TiVo updates and everything else works fine. It was a snap to set it up.

·
Registered
25,992 Posts
kb7sei said:
The WLI. It DOES work.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2584&highlight=buffalo+wlitx4

There is a link to a thread where they talk about it. I downloaded the version I'm using from that thread. The filename is dd-wrt.std.v24-5814.bin and it's in the second page.

Again, only bother if you already have one and want to get more out of it. If you are buying new, just get the cheaper WHR-G54 routers.
Just wanted to thank you again for that tip!

I just installed DD-WRT onto my WLI-TX4-G54HP bridge, and now music and photos in Galleon works perfectly again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.