TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some complaints around here how the Series3 boxes no longer support third party wireless network adapters. I wonder if anyone has considered using a cheap wireless router as a network adapter? Take a look at this link:

http://www.wirelessforums.org/alt-internet-wireless/linksys-wrt54g-repeater-extender-1561.html

From what I've been able to tell, it should be possible to have two wireless routers in a home with one acting as a gateway to the Internet and another acting as a remote hub for TiVo and any other Ethernet connected devices in the room. Here is the setup I have envisioned for a future family room:

Code:
                 Internet
                    |
               Cable Modem
                    |
Office            Router------------\
                    |               |
                    |            ethernet
                    |               |
                    |           Office PC
                    |
             (wireless link)
                    |
                    |
                    |
Family            Router-------------------------\
Room                |            |               |
                 ethernet     ethernet        ethernet
                    |            |               |
                   TiVo     Game Machine     Family PC
With a setup like this, it won't be necessary to buy a TiVo branded wireless adapter. You just use the built-in Ethernet port on the TiVo. An additional benefit is that most wireless routers have multiple Ethernet ports so you can hook additional devices up and probalby come out much cheaper than if you had to buy wireless adapters for each device.

Of course, some extra setup is requried. The second router has to be told it is a "router" and not a "gateway" which is how your Internet connected wiress gateway is probably operating. You will need to change the IP address on the 2nd router so that it doesn't conflict with the first one. You'll need to make sure DHCP and any other advanced services are disabled on the second router being that they would conflict with the gateway. Finally, the wiress settings have to be identical for both routers so that they can talk.

Does anyone see any major holes in this idea?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MikeMar said:
Are you doing this for cost? Then you have to buy an additional wireless router, but that's probably cheaper anyways.
For cost alone this probably wouldn't be worth while unless you want to connect multiple devices, happen to have an extra wireless router sitting around, or don't mind buying a wireless router off of eBay. The TiVo adapter costs about the same as a LinkSys WRT54G, but the user would have to decide if they want another box sitting around.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amnesia said:
I don't think a wireless router works the way you want for the second router. That is, it can't be used as a wireless bridge.
Perhaps the posting I linked to is incorrect, but that appears to be exactly what is being described. It is a technique for WDS (Wireless Distribution Service).

In any case, for the second unit, you don't want a router at all. A router is designed to "route" IP request to different networks. You just want to use the second unit as a switch---that is, to send signals within a given network.
When a WRT54G is changed from "gateway" mode to "router" mode, it stops taking all external traffic and sending it through the NAT (network address translation) engine to feed out through the Internet port. From what I understand of the Linksys, when it is in router mode you can do non-translational rules based routing between the Internet port and the wireless/wired side of the box. Between the wireless and 4-LAN Ethernet ports the box does act as a switch. The critical thing is to have the default gateway address broadcast or hard configured on end devices to point back to the box connected to the outside LAN.

Networks are complicated enough without usuing inappropriate hardware...you want a bridge like this.
Nice and simple, but costs more than the WRT54G by over $10.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.