TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, season 1 just ended (renewed for a 2nd), and I just got around to watching, and, not being a basketball fan nor a Lakers fan, but a child of the late 70‘s, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but this was a really good show with a great cast.

·
Happily Vaccinated!
62,571 Posts
I didn't like the first half of the season as I felt it was too soapie, and really couldn't care less about a lot of the stuff, especially around Magic's girlfriend stuff and the inner workings of the Lakers front office and the Jerry West stuff was over the top. I think it got much better when McKinney had his accident and the whole Westhead/Riley dynamic was interesting (and I guess they will get to where Riley stabbed Westhead in the back with Magic's help next season). I was about to quit the series before that but stuck with it. I'm not much of an NBA guy these days but I did watch a lot of the Bird/Magic stuff in the early 80s so I knew about what went on. When Spencer Haywood played for the Knicks I remember the rumors about him being a junkie and I guess that was confirmed here. I know they tried to make this all "Hollywood" and that was over the top, but in the end it was kind of fun reliving that era. It did reaffirm my hatred of the Lakers which was dormant for a long time!

·
Premium Member
10,641 Posts
Just finished this. I agree with Steve that the first half was not as good as the second half. It's like there were two different directors. The first half seemed more cartoonish with the 4th wall and the over the top West stuff.
In the second half we saw a lot more of the struggles that made the major players seem more real. I realize they took a lot of liberty in details telling a true story but it made for a fun telling.

They must have been assured there would be follow on seasons. The show opened with Magic Johnson in a doctors office in 1991 and his friend crying on the way home. They never went back to or explained that scene. You just had to know. Of course it was the 80s!

The show did make me want to go and read the true stories and see what was tweaked and what was real.

What made me want to watch was that Mark Landsberger one of the few white guys on the team was from my high school and we won the state AA championship with him during my senior year. It was kind of a miracle on ice moment because we weren't suppose to win and we went to double overtime and beat the top ranked team in the state thanks to Mark. This peaked my interest in basketball and I got season tickets to the Minnesota Gophers for a few years when I attended college there in the mid 70s. After college I kind of faded away from the sport.

The irony was I lived in LA during the spring and summer of 1980 and had no idea that Mark was part of the Laker team. I would have tried to go to some games had I known.

Now of course it's pretty clear he was pretty much a bench player and got almost zero lines in the TV show but it's my Kevin Bacon moment.

Sports uniform Shirt White Jersey Sleeve
Basketball Sports equipment Basketball moves Basketball hoop Shorts

Reactions: waynomo
1 - 8 of 8 Posts