TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I've recently wanted to restore an old TiVo Series 2 (TCD140060) with some 80GB IDE hard drive I found to restore some piece of history. The original drive is dead (or so I think), it gets stuck at the "Welcome, Starting Up" screen and doesn't do anything.

When I was trying to restore from a image I found to the random 80GB IDE drive, I tried to start the restore process but I only got back this error:

"Error writing media inode 1"

I tried multiple times, but still got the same error.

I ran WinMFS in admin, made sure it selected the correct drive, went into "File > Restore... > Tivo drive...", selected the restore image, clicked "Start" and then got the error message,

If anyone knows how to get pass this, please let me know -- thank you.

## SOLUTION FOUND ##

The issue was that WinMFS 9.3g doesn't work well -- 9.3f fixed this issue, see this reply to get the link for it. My extra IDE hard drive wasn't working the best, but I found some more recently and it works like a charm.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,222 Posts
What version of WinMFS are you using? If you are using the 'g' version, it would not be compatible.

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,222 Posts

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,222 Posts
No, its 9.3f.

·
Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh nevermind -- I guess it worked. Once it was "done" restoring from the image, WinMFS closed. And now I can't select the drive in WinMFS...

·
Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
After plugging in the drive to the TiVo and powering on, it appears to be still not booting. I hear the drive spin up, but nothing really happens. I could have screwed up at some point restoring the drive, the image could be broken in someway, or there's something up with this unit.

·
TiVo Lover
274 Posts
No, its 9.3f.
For the record, it is not, it is 9.3g. The SHA1 matches the one I already had.

Here's 9.3f (I found it on a random MediaFire link).

Attachments

·
TiVo Lover
274 Posts
@ktg5 Maybe try this one?

·
TiVoholic by the bay
14,222 Posts
The version I have is 9.3f.

·
Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sorry I have been active recently, just got a Philips DSR708 DirecTV TiVo and started playing around with it.

I believe the issue I have at hand with the Series 2 TiVo is a power supply issue since the lights on the front don't appear to light up at all.
For the record, it is not, it is 9.3g. The SHA1 matches the one I already had.

Here's 9.3f (I found it on a random MediaFire link).
I've just downloaded and open the version of WinMFS you've provided -- it appears to actually be 9.3f. I will attempt the hard drive restore whenever I can, but I don't have high hopes.

·
TiVo Lover
274 Posts
Sorry I have been active recently, just got a Philips DSR708 DirectTV TiVo and started playing around with it.

I believe the issue I have at hand is a power supply issue since the lights on the front don't appear to light up at all.

I've just downloaded and open the version of WinMFS you've provided -- it appears to actually be 9.3f. I will attempt the hard drive restore whenever I can, but I don't have high hopes.
I'm not sure that DirecTV units are even useful anymore, for many reasons.

I have an image of a DSR704 image you could try to restore to your TiVo, but it might not work.

Where did you get the TCD140060 image from? Was it from here?

·
Vintage TiVo collector
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not sure that DirecTV units are even useful anymore, for many reasons.

I have an image of a DSR704 image you could try to restore to your TiVo, but it might not work.
Oh -- it works perfectly fine, no need for an image for that old thing. Besides, it just for me to look at.
Where did you get the TCD140060 image from? Was it from here?
Yes, the image that I used for restore was from there.

·
TiVo Lover
274 Posts
Oh -- it works perfectly fine, no need for an image for that old thing. Besides, it just for me to look at.

Yes, the image that I used for restore was from there.
What version is it on?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.