TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Cheesehead
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I record something from analog cable that is letterboxed, it appears window boxed on my 16:9 TV, or on my monitor when playing it with Windows Media Player (v11). On my TV, I can use the Zoom feature on my Tivo, or on my TV, to blow up the actual 4:3 transmission which has 16:9 content to perfectly fill my 16:9 screen. Is there a way to do this with WMP? Or is a free viewer available that can handle .tivo files and do this? Or some other method?

· Super Moderator
55,649 Posts
You might want to try any DVD player software you have installed on your system. A lot of them use DirectShow, so they can play .tivo files, and most have zoom features like you need.

Alternatively you can decrypt the files to standard .mpg and then play them in VLC. There might even be a way to link tivodecode into VLC and play them directly, but I'm not exactly sure how that would work.

Dan

· Cheesehead
11,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can also crop the video to its original aspect ratio (16:9?). MPEG Streamclip promises to do this, but I've never gotten it to work.
I'll take a look at that. Cropping would be fine, too. That's actually a better description of what I am looking for. Most players offer a zoom feature, buy my actual "content" includes the pillar-boxed letter-boxed image, aka window-boxed. So zoom with cropping is good. Or just cropping.
I'll try tivodecode too. I already have VLC installed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.