TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Well-Known Raconteur
18,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New cop-drama TV series on ABC, premiered Jan 3, 2023.

The series revolves around special agent Will Trent of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI), who was abandoned at birth and endured a harsh coming-of-age in Atlanta's overwhelmed foster care system. But now, determined to use his unique point of view to make sure no one is abandoned like he was, Will Trent has the highest clearance rate in the GBI.

Decent police procedural. They had a lot to cover in the first two episodes, and it seems to me they could have done it more gracefully, more organically. Everyone knew everyone, heck three of them even grew up in foster homes together. Will we ever see the car guy again, or was he just a tool to backxplain Will & Angie's background? I like his new "partner" Faith. And I'd watch anything Sonja Sohn does (why isn't she in more shows?).

I don't want it to sound like I didn't like it, as I did, but it seemed like we got every police procedural trope there is, all in the first two eps. There should be a law limiting tropes to two per week.

Note that the pilot is the first of a two-parter. I got lucky that I didn't get around to watching this until two episodes had recorded, otherwise I'd have been pissed to watch a pilot and not see the conclusion of the plot.

· Hinky
26,331 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread!

I really liked it. I don't need highbrow tv drama all the time - sometimes a nice cop (or lawyer, medical, etc) procedural is what you need on a Tuesday evening.

The characters are likable. The dog is cute.

I'm in.

· Registered
2,877 Posts
After the first episode I was in the "didn't like it camp." The second episode I felt like either the characters got fleshed out enough that I started liking them or I just got used to them. The line about him not wanting a chair in his office because then people would come in and sit down was hilarious to me.

· Hinky
26,331 Posts
After the first episode I was in the "didn't like it camp." The second episode I felt like either the characters got fleshed out enough that I started liking them or I just got used to them. The line about him not wanting a chair in his office because then people would come in and sit down was hilarious to me.
The whole part with Faith on the floor was great.

· Señor Member
78,829 Posts
Reminds me a little of Monk, except for dyslexia swapped for autism. I'd like to know how he got to where he is if he can barely read. Yes, there are coping mechanisms, but I am not sure you get to use those as a cop.

Needs more dog.

Will keep watching for now.

· Premium Member
2,183 Posts
I'm liking it so far.

Regarding the dyslexia, that's what they showed him having in the 1st episode. But in the 2nd they outright said he's illiterate? It was mentioned a couple of times. Anyways, probably a secondary thing for the show, or maybe less than that.

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
Definitely. But during the interrogation, his boss told him to bring in his partner because she can read.
She was just digging at him.

In the first episode they had a scene where he was trying to read and they showed that he could read the text, then it went blurry and out of focus. I think Angie said something like, you know it gets harder to do when you're tired. So maybe he was careful to take tests and things during the morning when he was well-rested. And it seems like Wagner (his boss) has his back and is probably easing things for him.

It could very well also be that there are accommodations for people with dyslexia, in the exams. In many colleges etc. these days there are similar types of accommodations, for all kinds of things like that. And, it could well be possible that no one else knows about them. That wouldn't surprise me.

· Registered
772 Posts
I have read all of the books in the Will Trent series, and really like the character. I've watched the first episode, and was on the fence about it. (I haven't watched the second episode yet, but will give it another chance.) Felt like they rushed through it, with so many characters that it would be difficult to keep track of everyone without having read the books. I knew immediately who Faith and Angie were, and the parts they each play in Will's life. My husband has not read the books, though, so I didn't know exactly what backstory I could tell him that might would enhance the episode, without giving away any possible spoilers.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,854 Posts
Episodes one and two are rerunning tonight, but I watched them on Hulu last night. Liked it, but had to get past one thing.

I would enjoy this more if Rodríguez did not try to fake a southern accent. I can clearly hear his Puerto Rican New Yorker accent underneath, which I love, but I suppose they'd have to depart from the books to explain it.

I had no problem with this though: Paul is a Porsche dealer, but his wife Abigail drives a Tesla Model X. Kind of represents their relationship I suppose. Was there a similar funny automotive mismatch in the books?

· Deregistered Snoozer
4,975 Posts
Speaking as someone who hasn't read any of the books (I actually didn't even know there were books) I had no problems following the characters and their relationships. But, I do really enjoy shows with lots of characters and complexity.

· Registered
54 Posts
Reminds me a little of Monk, except for dyslexia swapped for autism. I'd like to know how he got to where he is if he can barely read. Yes, there are coping mechanisms, but I am not sure you get to use those as a cop. Needs more dog. Will keep watching for now.
BTW. Monk had OCD, not dyslexia. Happened after his wife’s death…

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,854 Posts
I'm still wondering how, at the end of episode one, Paul knew where Trent lived and ran right over there at 3 AM.

I'm enjoying this show though. I've been watching each episode twice, on DVR and on Hulu, and finding new aspects to appreciate the second time through.

And I'm pretty much over the hybrid accent. Almost.

· Registered
Ruler of an Unown UI
3,854 Posts
I thought they grew up together in the foster care system and still remained "close".
They hadn't seen each other in years and were far from friends, that's the thing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts