TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Certified Neurotic
3,927 Posts
How hard is it to keep sending the guide data that they already send to everyone, all the while charging them an extra six bucks a month for the privilege?

Talk about the ultimate double charge!

·
Certified Neurotic
3,927 Posts
dtremain said:
Yeah, well, their argument is that they are charging for the DVR service, not the guide data.

It is no different from charging a mirror fee on receivers. Extra receivers aren't costing Directv anything, but we pay to have their availability.

Lots of things are like that.
Since we all get the guide, and the hardware is paid for, the only thing we are paying for is a license to use the software. There ARE lots of agreements like that, but there is usually some sort of maintenance that the company provides to keep the software current and bug free. Do you think you will EVER see a software upgrade again for DTivos? Not likely.

The DVR fee is pure greed at this point. At least when they force the R15s and go to lease-only, we can't complain since we don't own anything. But if they charge a DVR fee AND a lease-fee, then that's still double-dipping in my opinion. But I can take it or leave it, so I can't really complain.

As for the mirror-fee, that is actually kind of smart. It doesn't prevent you from activating a receiver under your account and letting your buddy use it as his house for free, but it's still kind of a deterrent, just like doctor visit copays. You'd probably go to the doctor much more often if the copays were free, but somehow at $5-$20 per visit, you find that you don't. Funny how that works.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.