TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a former DirecTivo user who has two HDVR2's sitting on a shelf gathering dust. I'm holding on to them thinking that some time down the road I may switch back to DirecTV. But with the introduction of the new DirecTV DVR I'm beginning to worry that if/when I rejoin DirecTV they may say the Tivo DVR service is obsolete and no longer offered to new customers, instead I must buy their new DVR and use that. Is there any chance of them pulling this stunt over me?

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
There's always a chance, but Directv still activates and supports UltimateTV receivers, even though they stopped selling them years ago. I'd say you are pretty safe.

·
478 Posts
Safe until everything is MPEG4.

·
has gone his way...
11,164 Posts
jaydro said:
Safe until everything is MPEG4.
And that won't be for a VERY VERY VERY long time...
(and when that day comes, just about the other 20,000,000+ (seriously) MPEG-2 only recievers would need to be replaced)

·
478 Posts
Just like all the analog TVs in the US are going to need to be replaced. (And yes, I'm being deliberately ambiguous about whether I'm disputing how long it's going to be before all the DTiVos are going to not work. ;) )

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
jaydro said:
Just like all the analog TVs in the US are going to need to be replaced. (And yes, I'm being deliberately ambiguous about whether I'm disputing how long it's going to be before all the DTiVos are going to not work. ;) )
But, there will not come a day when all of the analog TVs will need to be replaced. They will just not function OTA. :rolleyes:

Directv is not going to be stupid enough to discontinue supporting existing TiVo DVRs. There are too many out there and it is too simple to just continue sending them guide data (that's all support really means).

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
jaydro said:
Just like all the analog TVs in the US are going to need to be replaced.
Different situation.

Unless they either ban or just discontinue SD analog outputs from STBs, the oldest NTSC sets will work with the latest STBs.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought the agreement with Tivo ends in Feb 07. Wouldn't the end of that agreement prevent D* from sending guide data to DTV Tivos after that?

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
What do you think are the chances that DTV will piss off people and not renew it, even at an increase to subscribers? I think dtv has a few hundred thousand directivos out here. I'm betting it's easier to pass long a small increase in tivo fees than tell people, sorry , no more tivo and by the way, you need to pay for a new DVR.

Unless of course they give away free dvrs of their own. Which I guess is a possibility. It comes down to which is cheaper for them to do. I'm betting renewing is cheaper than giving away free stuff and making people swap out who dont want to.

·
Banned
3,498 Posts
Does D* Have to pay to support UTV? If yes Will they Have to pay tivo something? If yes If tivo charges alot more than UTV we may be sunk. They will have to decide which to keep if any.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
From what I understand from previous posters, the guide data is the same for everyone. It's just that the DVRs use it differently.

·
Certified Neurotic
3,927 Posts
How hard is it to keep sending the guide data that they already send to everyone, all the while charging them an extra six bucks a month for the privilege?

Talk about the ultimate double charge!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
jrinck said:
How hard is it to keep sending the guide data that they already send to everyone, all the while charging them an extra six bucks a month for the privilege?

Talk about the ultimate double charge!
Yeah, well, their argument is that they are charging for the DVR service, not the guide data.

It is no different from charging a mirror fee on receivers. Extra receivers aren't costing Directv anything, but we pay to have their availability.

Lots of things are like that.

·
Certified Neurotic
3,927 Posts
dtremain said:
Yeah, well, their argument is that they are charging for the DVR service, not the guide data.

It is no different from charging a mirror fee on receivers. Extra receivers aren't costing Directv anything, but we pay to have their availability.

Lots of things are like that.
Since we all get the guide, and the hardware is paid for, the only thing we are paying for is a license to use the software. There ARE lots of agreements like that, but there is usually some sort of maintenance that the company provides to keep the software current and bug free. Do you think you will EVER see a software upgrade again for DTivos? Not likely.

The DVR fee is pure greed at this point. At least when they force the R15s and go to lease-only, we can't complain since we don't own anything. But if they charge a DVR fee AND a lease-fee, then that's still double-dipping in my opinion. But I can take it or leave it, so I can't really complain.

As for the mirror-fee, that is actually kind of smart. It doesn't prevent you from activating a receiver under your account and letting your buddy use it as his house for free, but it's still kind of a deterrent, just like doctor visit copays. You'd probably go to the doctor much more often if the copays were free, but somehow at $5-$20 per visit, you find that you don't. Funny how that works.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts