TiVo Community Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Open,Flash and clear
896 Posts
newsposter said:
great info..see i dont mind keeping the hdtivos hooked up to the old dish and setup i have now. If i can just add the dish and cables and not need a m/s that's great! I dont need ota on the hr20 because hdtivo takes care of that.
If you want the new HD channels you will need a new MS. Go on over to DBStalk to get the exact model number. There is allot of confusion on this issue but no matter what D* or anybody else tells you. You will need the new MS for the D10 HD channels. DBStalk has a nice guide for former tivo users that goes over things to make the switch easier. I also recommend the install guide they have for the HR20.

·
Registered
430 Posts
henryld said:
My unit has a faulty HDMI output and suffers from frequent spontaneous reboots and occasional lockups/freezes & will not respond to remote commands.
The HDMI output is an easily replaced board.

The reboots and lookups might be fixable with a "Clear and Delete Everything" -- unless it's a bad drive. Sometimes things get screwed up following software updates. My HR10 was crashing several times a day prior to a C&DE. I'd give that a try before giving up on it completely.

·
Registered
65 Posts
cramer said:
The HDMI output is an easily replaced board.

The reboots and lookups might be fixable with a "Clear and Delete Everything" -- unless it's a bad drive. Sometimes things get screwed up following software updates. My HR10 was crashing several times a day prior to a C&DE. I'd give that a try before giving up on it completely.
Concerning repair of the HDMI board I have no intention of spending money on a unit that will have limited functionality in the near term. I have done the C&DE with some early success but the problems seem to be returning. I agree the unit could be used for OTA & SD in the long term but in my case that would be of limited value.

·
Registered
318 Posts
generalpatton71 said:
If you want the new HD channels you will need a new MS. Go on over to DBStalk to get the exact model number. There is allot of confusion on this issue but no matter what D* or anybody else tells you. You will need the new MS for the D10 HD channels. DBStalk has a nice guide for former tivo users that goes over things to make the switch easier. I also recommend the install guide they have for the HR20.
I really hate to disagree with a General but you only need the MS if you are going to run more than 4 lines from the dish. The dish has four outputs. I am using 12 so I needed 2 MSs.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
I sure hope that's true. I would love just to have my new dvr hooked up to the new dish and have it be the only thing hooked up to the dish at this point, directly with 2 wires. No OTA is needed for me on the new unit since I have OTA on 2 HDtivos and if i ever need more than 4 tuners OTA, i will be in big trouble. I want to keep my existing 2HDtivo setup totally independent of the new setup. Though they will all be stacked (one heck of a stack)

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
newsposter said:
I sure hope that's true. I would love just to have my new dvr hooked up to the new dish and have it be the only thing hooked up to the dish at this point, directly with 2 wires. No OTA is needed for me on the new unit since I have OTA on 2 HDtivos and if i ever need more than 4 tuners OTA, i will be in big trouble. I want to keep my existing 2HDtivo setup totally independent of the new setup. Though they will all be stacked (one heck of a stack)
You definately don't need an M/S if you have less than 4 tuners. You will of course need the new 5 LNB dish which has a built in M/S and 4 outputs. I have had my HR20 since October and have had it set up both with and without the M/S.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
bigpuma said:
You definately don't need an M/S if you have less than 4 tuners. You will of course need the new 5 LNB dish which has a built in M/S and 4 outputs. I have had my HR20 since October and have had it set up both with and without the M/S.
eggslent.....now if i could just successfully switch out under the protection plan..then say um, i dont get the new channels....and let them come out and do the free dish, i'd be set! Sinister plan i know but any chance of getting the dish free after the HR20 is here?

·
Registered
65 Posts
henryld said:
I'm in the same situation you are except 3LNB dish. Called D* on 8-18 and they scheduled a service call for tomorrow PM instead of sending a replacement unit. I will post the outcome.
Service tech came out (nearly 1 hour late) and replaced my HR10-250 with a new (not refurb) HR20-700. He insisted that he had to take the old unit and I didn't argue since the HDMI output was dead and I think the HD is going. He also left me a Slimline dish (not on the workorder) which I prefer to install myself; earned himself a nice tip. After he left I checked my account recent activity online and sure enough the new receiver is listed as leased. Will fight that battle later today; IIRC it requires a call to the card department to correct.

·
Seenyer Member
2,082 Posts
henryld said:
Service tech came out (nearly 1 hour late) and replaced my HR10-250 with a new (not refurb) HR20-700. He insisted that he had to take the old unit and I didn't argue since the HDMI output was dead and I think the HD is going. He also left me a Slimline dish (not on the workorder) which I prefer to install myself; earned himself a nice tip. After he left I checked my account recent activity online and sure enough the new receiver is listed as leased. Will fight that battle later today; IIRC it requires a call to the card department to correct.
So, your HR10 was an owned receiver ....and he took it with him? :confused:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sir_winealot said:
So, your HR10 was an owned receiver ....and he took it with him? :confused:
The HR20-700 was supposed to be a replacement for my defective HR10-250 (owned) under the Protection Plan and as such should be listed as owned as well. As noted in my previous post I will fight that battle shortly. :(

·
Open,Flash and clear
896 Posts
joed32 said:
I really hate to disagree with a General but you only need the MS if you are going to run more than 4 lines from the dish. The dish has four outputs. I am using 12 so I needed 2 MSs.
You're absolutely right. I just wanted to make sure everybody knew if you had a multiswitch you needed a new one for the 5LNB install and that it was a specific model. There has been many problems where installers install the 5 lng dish and don't replace the old multiswitch. I'm betting in a week when the new HD channels are up, the Forums will be filled with posters having this issue.

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
henryld said:
Like you, I was surprised as well but did not really care one way or the other, considering the condition of my unit.
now i'm having 2nd thoughts. maybe will just try to get a cheap one and hope they install even with no 119 LOS

·
Registered
318 Posts
generalpatton71 said:
You're absolutely right. I just wanted to make sure everybody knew if you had a multiswitch you needed a new one for the 5LNB install and that it was a specific model. There has been many problems where installers install the 5 lng dish and don't replace the old multiswitch. I'm betting in a week when the new HD channels are up, the Forums will be filled with posters having this issue.
Gotcha. Keep up the good work.

·
Seenyer Member
2,082 Posts
generalpatton71 said:
Zinwell WB68....

·
Poster of News
35,621 Posts
i reread this thread and didnt see an answer:

has anyone 'replaced' Hdtivo with a hr20 and then gotten a free new 5lnb dish when you call and say, i cant see the new channels? (i dont care about a 2 yr commitment).

Also, when they do 'verify' that your unit is bad and will send you a new one, do they turn off the 'broken' unit right away?

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
newsposter said:

has anyone 'replaced' Hdtivo with a hr20 and then gotten a free new 5lnb dish when you call and say, i cant see the new channels? (i dont care about a 2 yr commitment).

Also, when they do 'verify' that your unit is bad and will send you a new one, do they turn off the 'broken' unit right away?
Assuming you order the HR20 from DirecTV it should include the dish and multiswitch if necessary. It doesn't matter if you get it for free or what it should all be included.

·
ObamaGuy
452 Posts
Yes, just call back a few days later and (if you are a good customer) it will be free. In cases that I am aware they do turn it off but YMMV.
newsposter said:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.