TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking of ditching my wireless connection in favor of a hard-lined ethernet adapter for my TiVo. I see hundreds of cheap, generic USB to Ethernet adapters on eBay and I'm wondering if these will work just as well as some of the name-brand models out there (such as the Linksys USB200M).

Has anyone trie one of these cheap and dirty models and had any success?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Before I bought my series 2 DT, I used a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter I bought off of Ebay and it worked fine.

I tried the wireless thing that Tivo sells, and my signal was always poor, even when the damn thing was sitting right next to the router.

·
Astute User
11,392 Posts
Most of the el-cheapo adapters are Realtek based, so incompatible with TiVo.

Get one of the known compatible ones, or do your homework and get one that uses a compatible chipset.

·
what ru lookin at?
10,926 Posts
supasta said:
Spend a few extra bucks and invest in the TiVo branded wireless adapter. Well worth it.
vasilemj said:
So I've been thinking of ditching my wireless connection in favor of a hard-lined ethernet adapter for my TiVo.
:rolleyes:

:D

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually do have the TiVo branded wireless adapter so that begs the question....will I see a noticeable transfer speed improvement by going wired instead of wireless. Right now my wireless transfer speeds average about 550-600 kb/s.

The trouble is when I'm downloading from TiVo Desktop (version 2.2) and I'm downloading multiple files at a time, it seems to drop my connection for some unknown reason. This is very frustrating when I set it up before I head to bed for the evening.

Using TiVoPlayList I don't seem to have this problem but I'm wondering if using a wired connection would allow me to have more success using TiVo Desktop.

·
Lord of Darkness
1,557 Posts
Get a name Brand Adapter. Make sure it is compatible with Tivo, and all will be good.

I tried several of the cheap Adapters off Ebay, and they did not work. Not to worry, used them with my Home Network setup :D

You will see a vast improvement in speed going from wireless to wired.

·
what ru lookin at?
10,926 Posts
vasilemj said:
I actually do have the TiVo branded wireless adapter so that begs the question....will I see a noticeable transfer speed improvement by going wired instead of wireless. Right now my wireless transfer speeds average about 550-600 kb/s.
Transfer speeds will be different depending on what model Tivo you have.
For example, I have an S2 540 model ST Tivo and use a wired network.
My transfer times are only slightly faster than real time.
The trouble is when I'm downloading from TiVo Desktop (version 2.2) and I'm downloading multiple files at a time, it seems to drop my connection for some unknown reason. This is very frustrating when I set it up before I head to bed for the evening.
You could try and change your wireless frequency channel.
IMO, a reason to go wired (even with a possible loss in xfer speed).
Using TiVoPlayList I don't seem to have this problem but I'm wondering if using a wired connection would allow me to have more success using TiVo Desktop.
Don't know since I have never used a wireless network.
I can only report that I have NO problems with TD 2.2 and my wired connection.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I posted some time ago about a little adapter I bought on ebay for like $7 shipped. It works in my series2. I only get about 2-3 Mbits, but if I dissconect the component video cable going into my tivo unit my speed always increases to 4 Mbits. I've never messed with the router or any settings to try to tweak my speed if I even could, but had the cables dissconected one day and did a transfer and noticed the speed increase.

If needed I can try to find my receipt for the seller and brand.

Danneauxs

·
Registered
11,529 Posts
danneauxs said:
I posted some time ago about a little adapter I bought on ebay for like $7 shipped. It works in my series2. I only get about 2-3 Mbits, but if I dissconect the component video cable going into my tivo unit my speed always increases to 4 Mbits. I've never messed with the router or any settings to try to tweak my speed if I even could, but had the cables dissconected one day and did a transfer and noticed the speed increase.

If needed I can try to find my receipt for the seller and brand.

Danneauxs
I'd love to know what this is. I've been trying to buy the Linksys for a couple of weeks, but TiVo seems to have trouble taking my money.

·
Astute User
11,392 Posts
Plug it into your PC and see what the USB VID and PID is in device manager, or use USBview, on the PC. Report back here with the VID/PID.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 3-year-old TiVo-branded Series 2.

Started out using the Linksys USB ethernet adapter, the damn thing was so touchy from a physical perspective, crappy design, the hinge-door-thingy eventually broke off.

Now using the StarTek mini adapter, which I notice CompUSA have sold out, and have had no problems at all. Plugged it in, worked first time, sensible design too.

I'm not blessed with Cat-5 wiring throughout and the WiFi thing was never reliable, so I went with the Netgear Powerline Ethernet adapters. You need at least two (one at your router and one at each device) and they run $30-40 each, but they work like a charm

·
Registered
753 Posts
classicsat said:
Plug it into your PC and see what the USB VID and PID is in device manager, or use USBview, on the PC. Report back here with the VID/PID.
You can also get those ID's from the windows driver .inf file, if you want to know before you actual purchase the hardware, and windows driver downloads are available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.