TiVo Community Forum banner
1361 - 1380 of 1402 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
This is a prolific thread! Sixteen pages and nearly 1400 posts since 2003! Today, this thread is sixteen years old! TimCKelley, the thread starter, himself has 31k posts! About five posts a day since joining in 2002. Where is Guinness?

Good luck with your cord cutting, Mr. Kelley. It's a great adventure for a lot of us. I started reading back this thread to see how long you had been considering installing an antenna. Not that long, really. First mention of cord cutting did not come until last November (though in March you said you had been considering it for years). It took me a lot longer to get around to it. In a sense, your success is more likely as you do not have to manage WAF.

Mr. Kelley, condolences on your impending divorce. Not just the divorce, but the life and circumstances that led to it. I was married for 27 years and have two boys. I cannot imagine living apart from them under any circumstances. If I read your words correctly, you have a son who would be around twenty. Hopefully, his relationships with both parents will not be strained by the divorce. (I know a guy who separated from his wife years ago. He continued to support her mother and daughter for years. Now the step daughter is on her own and his wife has moved in with him and her mother -- as a platonic roommate. Relationships are funny things.)

Reading this thread through, it seems divorce has been on your mind for a very long time. Divorce is mentioned (humorously) in the 18th post of the thread! In post 207 (again humorously) you said, "The key to saving a marriage is to own two TiVos." In post 293 (2005), you start talking about divorce seriously. Seems like this has been on your mind for a long time. Do yourself a favor -- kick the TiVos out of your home and get on with your life.

Congratulations to those who have been engaged in this thread. I've only ever heard of one thread that lived on nearly as long. It was a thread where people posted simply to keep the thread alive. This is organic.

·
run of the mill TCFer
31,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,366 ·
As another update, this divorce is still not complete, but it's getting very close. It's possible that in the next week or two, it will be done. Meanwhile, she is still remotely controlling her TiVos using her iPad. My Tivo has slowly migrated down to 70% full because she has nicely deleted some of her stuff.

Once she signs those papers, and the divorce is done, I'd like to think I can just wholly claim my TiVo. But our divorce agreement contains this clause, which when I think of it, indirectly involves the TiVos. :D

I'm agreeing to store her stuff (and she has a heapload of stuff, which includes her TiVos as just a small item of it) in my house for a year (or maybe it's 1.5 years... I need to check) or until I decide to sell the house, whichever happens first. And to make selling easier, I put in a clause that once I have an agent under contract, she has to get her stuff out, because given the giant amount of clutter here, I think I need her stuff out before I can make the house look presentable for selling.

She also, I'm pretty sure, is motivated at long last to expedite the divorce because she's having trouble getting along with her mother, whom she lives with, and she can't afford to move out until she gets half our nestegg, which she can't get until the divorce is done. Much of the nestegg is in my name in retirement accounts. Until she finds her own place, she doesn't have room to store her stuff, which is why she wants me to store it in my house.

But here's a question I have as it relates to TiVos. I expect there to be a period of time post divorce that her TiVos will be in my house, and she'll want to control them remotely with her iPad, like she's been doing. Is there a way to divorce my TiVo from her ability to control it with her iPad? I could take it off the network, but I use apps on it, like Amazon Prime and youtube, so I want it to remain on the network so that it's connected to internet. Is there really a way for me to truly claim my TiVo as my own, while still allowing her iPad to access my network?

Or must my TiVo problems continue post-divorce?!?

(Notice how I've been keeping the discussion TiVo related, because a Coffee House rule here is that threads are required to be discussing TiVo issues. :) )

·
run of the mill TCFer
31,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,368 · (Edited)
I'm not sure, but I believe web control of TiVos involves the TiVo.com website. If true, changing your TiVo.com login password might end her remote web access.
Except I want her to still control her two TiVos, but I think your answer has made me realize what the solution probably is. Just like when you sell a lifetimed TiVo, the new owner is supposed to call TiVo and get the ownership transferred, I suspect my soon-to-be ex should get the ownership transferred to her name. And then she can get her own user name and password to TiVo.com, and set up her iPad to control her new TiVo.com account. It then could be smart of me to change my own password, which will by then be only controlling my single TiVo (Bolt). Once that's done, I would think she could no longer control my TiVo.

I can then go to town deleting everything of hers from it, including a bunch of season passes. But it would be polite for me to give her some notice that I'm dong this.... I think I will postpone this discussion with her until after she signs the divorce decree... I don't want any arguments to distract her from signing the paper.

·
run of the mill TCFer
31,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,369 · (Edited)
Actually I think the media access key is what allows the iPad to control it. I wonder if, when ownership changes to her, if she will automatically be assigned a new media access key different from my own. I hope so. And I assume that her knowledge of my media access key doesn't pose any jeapardy to my TiVo security, or I hope it doesn't...

·
Give 'em Hell, Devils
61,539 Posts
I think allowing her to store her stuff at your house for a year or more is a VERY bad idea. I think it would be money well spent to take all her stuff, put it in a storage unit, pre-pay the rent for a year, and give the key to your wife. That way, she can't complain that she has nowhere to store her stuff, but you no longer have to deal with it and you don't have to be involved if she needs access to any of her stuff.

·
run of the mill TCFer
31,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,373 ·
Whoever gets a new account will get a new MAK, but be aware that any archived shows on a NAS or PC will have to be decrypted using the old MAK.
Thank you for that valuable advice. That makes it sound like I should take jrtroo's advice and create a new account and move my box into it.

I don't care about any shows that are backed up on the NAS but my wife does care, as she has scads of that.

So it makes sense that she should keep the same MAK, and I should get a new MAK.

·
Premium Member
6,300 Posts
So it makes sense that she should keep the same MAK, and I should get a new MAK.
That makes the most sense to me since you have never talked about archiving your own shows, and the process of creating a new account and transferring your TiVos to it would be entirely under your control. You can usually transfer TiVos between accounts online without any problems, but it's worth a call to support to follow the official procedure. You give them the TSN of the TiVo that you're "selling", and they give you a code that the new owner can use to prove that they have the right to transfer ownership in case the online method doesn't work.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Thank you for that valuable advice. That makes it sound like I should take jrtroo's advice and create a new account and move my box into it.

I don't care about any shows that are backed up on the NAS but my wife does care, as she has scads of that.

How are the Tivos apportioned in the divorce agreement?

Reactions: aaronwt

·
run of the mill TCFer
31,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,378 ·
How are the Tivos apportioned in the divorce agreement?
She gets the TiVo Premiere and the Roamio, while I get the Bolt. I'm certainly happy with that split because the Bolt all by itself has 4 tuners, and I do not hoard shows at all, so I should no space problems, once I can really divorce my TiVo from her.

Hmmmm.... I wonder what I'll say if, post-divorce, she still asks me to record something for her on my Bolt.

1361 - 1380 of 1402 Posts