TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a long time DirecTV Tivo customer and have gotten spoiled by the dual tuner. We recently added a Comcast HD DVR for HD service, which has dual recording capability. However the wife hates the DVR functions of the the Comcast service. (missed shows, sound glitches and most of all no 30 sec skip). So she want's me to get a Series 2. In investigating I was very surprised to learn the box is only capable of one tuner?

Can anyone tell my why the box was single tuner? It surprises me since dual tuner style boxes have been around long before the Series 2 came out. And it surprises me that TiVo would miss out on that key feature?

· Registered
28,665 Posts
I think they opted not to go with dual tuner configuration because it's rather hard to design a stand-alone dual tuner device that will commonly be used with cable boxes. The setup choices would become rather confusing to most users, and I think the hardware costs at the time prohibited the manufacturing of it.

Maybe someone else knows more details, but I think that's the gist of it.

You'll have to wait for the Series 3 later this year if you want a non-Cable company DVR with dual tuner (and it will have HD too).

· I'm back!
36,155 Posts
Plus (I'm guessing) there are processor loads on being able to encode and record two channels at the same time. this might have bumped the hardware cost above their target. For satellite receivers they're just recording the raw data stream without transcoding, so I would think the processor loads would be lower.

Don't forget that the TiVo is always recording the program being watched.

· Registered
978 Posts
Yeah, one TiVo connected to two receivers, at least one of which should have a VERY good IR fort to keep the blaster from interfering with the other.

A good high-end geek toy, but TiVo was aiming for the average family.

Or you limit it to analog cable and antenna only (both of which are becoming more rare) or you limit it to analog on one side and cable box on the other and expect users to split the cable and understand that that can handle some conflicts but not others.

And you need buyers to understand any such limitations before walking out of the store or your return/call rates are awful.

You know about the Series 3, right? It's cablecard and thus avoids these set top box problems.

· Registered
28,665 Posts
Or you limit it to analog cable and antenna only (both of which are becoming more rare) or you limit it to analog on one side and cable box on the other and expect users to split the cable and understand that that can handle some conflicts but not others.
I was thinking about that option too before. But then I realized that it would require two different program guides, depending on source, which would become quite a hassle too...

· I can't explain
19,455 Posts
dgh said:
Yeah, one TiVo connected to two receivers, at least one of which should have a VERY good IR fort to keep the blaster from interfering with the other.

A good high-end geek toy, but TiVo was aiming for the average family.

And you need buyers to understand any such limitations before walking out of the store or your return/call rates are awful.

You know about the Series 3, right? It's cablecard and thus avoids these set top box problems.
and it all gets expensive even now. even much more so back when the sereis 2 first came out. The sereiss 3 goes to dual tuner as it can grab the digital signal internally off the cable card and releives a LOT of this complexity

· Astute User
11,392 Posts
rstenson said:
It surprises me since dual tuner style boxes have been around long before the Series 2 came out.
What non-PC dual analog tuner/input boxes were/are there?

Dual digital tuners such as on cable boxes or satellite receivers don't count, as they directly record the digital stream.

· Wear Your Mask!
56,097 Posts
atlantabriguy said:
Actually, there is a secret code for a 30-second skip on the Comcast HD-DVR. I don't remember it now, but I found it on the internet somewhere.
My Harmony 676 has the 30 sec skip button enabled in the software :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.