TiVo Community Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
SugarBowl said:
because it takes WAY too long to transfer HD video.
That's got nothing to do with it. It's a restriction by CableLabs that was necessary for CableCARD certification.

That said, I can see not wanting end-users to be able to pull off HD video, but why not allow it to be scaled down to SD, or even let us transfer off analog or OTA recordings? in any case, I wouldn't count on this ever being added.

·
Super Moderator
59,887 Posts
TiVo is working on getting CableLabs to approve TTG. I also have it on pretty good authority that if CableLabs refuses then TiVo has a plan to enable TTG for OTA and non-digital content anyway. So while it wouldn't be 100%, it would still be usable for some things. Personally I don't use TTG that much, so if they could just enable transfers to the TiVo and MRV I'd be happy. :)

Dan

·
Who, me?
1,005 Posts
SugarBowl said:
because it takes WAY too long to transfer HD video.
Besides the fact that you're wrong in that it's NOT the reason, it also doesn't make sense. To transfer a half-hour HD show would mean transferring roughly 3GB, or 3,000MB. At 6MB/second (60Mbits/second) on a 100Mbit/sec link, it would take 500 seconds. That's a little over 8 minutes. To transfer a 2-hour movie would only take a half-hour (12000MB at 6MB/sec = 2000 seconds).

We're not transferring these files over the Internet - we're transferring them over a local home network. Using the 100Mbit/sec connection built in to a Series 3 is a reasonable thing to expect.

.../Ed

·
Super Moderator
59,887 Posts
There would be some overhead involved that would prevent a TTG transfer from actually going at the full 60Mbits/sec, but all in all Ed is right. With the S3s hardware specs speed would not be much of an issue at all.

Dan

·
Astute User
17,877 Posts
The transfer system in the Series 3 is built as one system, which Cablelabs would not approve (yet), so there is no transfers. TiVo is supposedly working on a conditional system that will only transfer permitted content.

·
Registered
883 Posts
ewilts said:
Besides the fact that you're wrong in that it's NOT the reason, it also doesn't make sense. To transfer a half-hour HD show would mean transferring roughly 3GB, or 3,000MB. At 6MB/second (60Mbits/second) on a 100Mbit/sec link, it would take 500 seconds. That's a little over 8 minutes. To transfer a 2-hour movie would only take a half-hour (12000MB at 6MB/sec = 2000 seconds).

We're not transferring these files over the Internet - we're transferring them over a local home network. Using the 100Mbit/sec connection built in to a Series 3 is a reasonable thing to expect.

.../Ed
Are you sure? What's the maximum wireless rate supported by the series 3? It seems that everyone uses wireless around here.

·
Super Moderator
59,887 Posts
Wireless is constrained by the throughput of the network, environmental factors and the speed of the adapter and the TiVo. People with TiVo brand wireless adapters and 802.11g networks report speeds similar to wired networks on S2DT units. Although the maximum theoretical throughput of a 802.11g network is 54Mbits/sec, with real world speeds closer to half that. So speeds via wireless may be half what Ed posted above, but even so 15-20 minutes for a half hour of HD is not that bad.

Dan

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dan203 said:
TiVo is working on getting CableLabs to approve TTG. I also have it on pretty good authority that if CableLabs refuses then TiVo has a plan to enable TTG for OTA and non-digital content anyway. So while it wouldn't be 100%, it would still be usable for some things. Personally I don't use TTG that much, so if they could just enable transfers to the TiVo and MRV I'd be happy. :)
So is CableLabs EVER going to decide?? I'm a likely Series 3 customer IF those features ever get enabled. But I'm not going to buy a Series 3 thats way more expensive and far less convenient than my Series 2, no way. I suspect there's a lot of other people like me hanging out here in Limbo waiting on the CableLabs thing to shake out before we'll purchase a Series 3.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.